What's with Pax & Life Jackets?

YVINTERN

Veteran
Jun 28, 2007
The Potomac
Okay so I was non revving on HP46 PHX DCA yesterday...

A Passenger about 5 rows ahead of me during the Safety Demo Video (Another Point later)... decided to put on his life jacket and of course the B FA was mollified she called the A over and the A decided to talk to the Passenger while we were still taxing out to the Runway.

I was trying to lipread and the conversation went something like this...

A:"Excuse me Sir you can't have that on inside the aircraft"

P: I don't care I'm scared of flying over water

A:"Okay it's company policy that passengers are not allowed to wear a life jacket unless it's an emergency"

B: *whispering to A*

A: "Okay Sir I will allow you to wear it but please be aware that there is a fine if you inflate the life jacket"

P: *mumbling*

And I just learned that my friend who was on 42 earlier PHX DCA also had two passengers do this as well...what the hell is going on...not to mention PHX-DCA does not go over a body of water except for the Mississippi River or the Potomac River.

This is Plane Rediculous...

I'm wondering why there's an inconsistency with the safety demo...the crew on 46 used the IFE while east 757s with the IFE...they do the live demo...If I was still in inflight safety I'd have reported this to the company as a violation of the FA procedures but I don't know what US' has and since communication at this company is a mess anyways.

Just think of how stupid the average person is. Half of them are even dumber than that.

You show these dimwits how to wear the life vest every time they fly. Your airline suffered a splash landing a week ago and everyone's lauding the crew as the second coming. Now some dolt thinks "I need to be prepared for the next time." And the crew goes apoplectic. You know what that idiot's thinking? He's thinking "what if the plane falls into deep water seconds after takeoff? I need to be prepared."

Of course, there's very little deep water anywhere near PHX in which to fall, but there are some resevoirs and lakes out west, but that doesn't matter to the moron who thinks he needs to wear his lifevest at all times.

Okay so I was non revving on HP46 PHX DCA yesterday...

A Passenger about 5 rows ahead of me during the Safety Demo Video (Another Point later)... decided to put on his life jacket and of course the B FA was mollified she called the A over and the A decided to talk to the Passenger while we were still taxing out to the Runway.

I was trying to lipread and the conversation went something like this...

A:"Excuse me Sir you can't have that on inside the aircraft"

P: I don't care I'm scared of flying over water

A:"Okay it's company policy that passengers are not allowed to wear a life jacket unless it's an emergency"

B: *whispering to A*

A: "Okay Sir I will allow you to wear it but please be aware that there is a fine if you inflate the life jacket"

P: *mumbling*

And I just learned that my friend who was on 42 earlier PHX DCA also had two passengers do this as well...what the hell is going on...not to mention PHX-DCA does not go over a body of water except for the Mississippi River or the Potomac River.

This is Plane Rediculous...

I'm wondering why there's an inconsistency with the safety demo...the crew on 46 used the IFE while east 757s with the IFE...they do the live demo...If I was still in inflight safety I'd have reported this to the company as a violation of the FA procedures but I don't know what US' has and since communication at this company is a mess anyways.
company policy is to do a live safety demo even on a/c that still have ife on it. we just got a memo on it yesterday . so the crew on flt 46 was in violation of company policy. however, as an inlflight standards coach myself. i would never turn them in to the company for such a silly reason . i would just advise them of the companies policy regarding the issue. and people do not like snitches .

Who cares? You received a demo, right?

Getting people in trouble! Sounds fun!

You really should learn to mind your own business while non- revving. Nobody likes a nark.

Just think of how stupid the average person is. Half of them are even dumber than that.

You show these dimwits how to wear the life vest every time they fly. Your airline suffered a splash landing a week ago and everyone's lauding the crew as the second coming. Now some dolt thinks "I need to be prepared for the next time." And the crew goes apoplectic. You know what that idiot's thinking? He's thinking "what if the plane falls into deep water seconds after takeoff? I need to be prepared."

Of course, there's very little deep water anywhere near PHX in which to fall, but there are some resevoirs and lakes out west, but that doesn't matter to the moron who thinks he needs to wear his lifevest at all times.

Don't forget those dimwits buy tickets which pay your salary.

Who cares? You received a demo, right?

Getting people in trouble! Sounds fun!

You really should learn to mind your own business while non- revving. Nobody likes a nark.

I didn't nark...nor will I...I have NEVER snitched or narked...I'd just let them know...but since you already judged me and assumed that I would nark...go nark yourself will you please...and I don't work for US and could frankly care less...Someone please remind them crews though...wouldn't want anyone collecting unemployment at this time.

Etops1, thanks for the explanation.

Come on, people have anxieties after an accident. Sure, it's not reasonable; maybe you don't the see the need to pander to a nervous passenger but sometimes it is better to just let it go. If he'd shown up with a parachute, that won't work, but putting on an uninflated life vest, where's the harm?
Take a few minutes, explain that the seat cushion is also an inflation device.

Maybe it took a heroic effort for that guy to even get on the plane, is that stupid? A little kindness, a little empathy; how hard it that? Calling the PAX stupid is just....stupid.

It doesn't surprise me that a few nitwit pax are out there putting on life vests. Like someone pointed out, on the average people (when getting on an airliner) are stupid. And that means half are even more stupid than that.

The problem with dragging out the life vest and putting it on is that the pouch is lightly sealed and, once that seal if broken, it has to be re-inspected, re-packed and re-sealed. That costs money, first, and if enough pax do it (i.e. monkey see, monkey do,) then it may preclude the aircraft proceeding to the next station (depending on the destination.)

If a pax opens the sealed pouch, there should be a charge imposed for the work that need to be done to make it legally available for the next pax.

I smell something else we can charge for!!!

It doesn't surprise me that a few nitwit pax are out there putting on life vests. Like someone pointed out, on the average people (when getting on an airliner) are stupid. And that means half are even more stupid than that.

The problem with dragging out the life vest and putting it on is that the pouch is lightly sealed and, once that seal if broken, it has to be re-inspected, re-packed and re-sealed. That costs money, first, and if enough pax do it (i.e. monkey see, monkey do,) then it may preclude the aircraft proceeding to the next station (depending on the destination.)

If a pax opens the sealed pouch, there should be a charge imposed for the work that need to be done to make it legally available for the next pax.

It's possible this person had a specific phobia or compulsive disorder that made him want to wear a life vest while flying, even if he knew it made him look ridiculous. That's what I thought about when you said he whispered to the FA...

An opened life vest ia an uncertified lifevest. The aircraft should have returned to the gate, and if there was no replacement , the passenger seat would have been made unservisable and placed on MEL: If 1 or more passengers would have been deplaned due to this fact, it is unavoidable and unfortunate. The FAA certifies this aircraft and mandates the safety equipment to be on board. It is not in the relm of resposiblilty of either the F/A or the captain to deviate from this. If it is a lifevest or an engine, the rules are the same and must be enforced at all times.

Back