When will the mechanics learn?

crushed

Senior
May 26, 2003
Visit site
Heard from TPA that they are trainning the ramp agents to ride the brakes and fire up the APU's when repositioning aircraft.
Was told that the mechanics don't want to be bothered to do it. Is it that tough to go for a ride?
When will they learn to stop giving up work? How many jobs did they lose when they gave up reciept and dispatch of aircraft?
Isn't TPA the only Florida station where we even have our own MTC? Do they think that Dougie won't contract it out too?
Just wondering what they are thinking......anyone?

Isn't TPA the only Florida station where we even have our own MTC?

FLL and MCO are USAirwys maintenance stations.
(This is probably the reason that the 757 only goes to those three stations. They need a large stock of orange stickers to keep those things moving.)

Sorry. I think I just rerouted your thread. Anyone wishing to discuss my parenthetical remark, please start a new thread.

I would assume its a manpower issue, take a look at the MPP where it deals about towing aircraft and its interesting.

Just wait until someone burns one up or the a/c gets away from them and I'm sure they will change their tune.

I'm sure the mechanics just "don't wish to be bothered with it".

I would assume its a manpower issue, take a look at the MPP where it deals about towing aircraft and its interesting.

Well I called a Tampa line maint guy last night and he confirmed that yes this is true.Rampers are being trained to ride brakes and start APU's they have been doing airstarts for a while now,hu first Ive heard about it.
Seems like maint checked a ramp guy out to train the others,there not being trained by maint or training..whats wrong with this picture.I didnt have time to pull up the mpp would someone please do it today.
They said there doing it in other stations also...but couldnt say were,this is alarming.

I think we should all maint folks call tampa and tell em to get of there lazy butts and do there job before they give away the whole store.....guess those 2 didget seniority numbers arnt worried though...

Is this company approved preperation for things to come..damn..

Riding brakes and APU starting is not in the scope language, the company can have rampers do it.

Not necessarily, as past practice would ensure the work stays as long as the mechanics don't give it up and file grievances.

IAM grievan IAM bottom line who every gets the work (and it should be spelled out in scope) gets jobs

Riding brakes and APU starting is not in the scope language, the company can have rampers do it.

Not necessarily, as past practice would ensure the work stays as long as the mechanics don't give it up and file grievances.
I am not sure I follow what you are saying, if it's not in the scope language but maint has provided this work in the past, then a grievance may be filed? How can a grievance be filed if ramp is allowed to do this function?
Not looking to hammered, just confused....

I am not sure I follow what you are saying, if it's not in the scope language but maint has provided this work in the past, then a grievance may be filed? How can a grievance be filed if ramp is allowed to do this function?
Not looking to hammered, just confused....

It has always been the practice that this was done by mech's hence past practice.The company cant give it to another work group on these grounds.

Like they cant tell mechs to load bags,its been practice that it was always done by the ramp..a stretch of an example but.

Another case of mech's not wanting to get off their butts like in the last contract or two ,ramp shared duties at the gate that were traditionally done by mechs...now almost exclusively done by ramp...so who's to blame? :lol:

Then they wonder what happened when the layoffs start

And Tampa of all places.Hit hard in the past for jobs.Screamed for help from everyone.Now just sitting on there tush'ies basking in the sun...the irony..argggg.

Well it will get filled,love to see the answer to this one.

Latest posts

Back