Will Oneworld lose JAL?

Aug 19, 2002
The JFK
www.usaviation.com
Will Arpey "Fall back" and watch Delta steal JAL right out from under his nose?

Yahoo

AP News

So Gerry finds himself in quite a spot doesn't he? Invest in JAL, spending potentially hundreds of millions AMR can not afford or let Delta swoop in and we lose JAL and further reduce AMR's insignificant Asian presence to complete irrelevance.

What's Gerry gonna' do now? The NW management at DL is playing hardball and Gerry doesn't have a clue what to do, other than retreat.

If they have money for JAL then they have money for us. Simple as that!!!!

I understand you probably don't feel this way, but "they" is really "we". Harm to the company (they) does not necessarily mean you(us) are immune.

I believe there's situations in which your statement may be accurate, however, would you suggest that the company not invest in itself until the 2003 pay rates are restored? Would you suggest that we not invest in advertising, computer system, aircraft, etc.?

Looking mid to long term, how much would it harm AA to not have a dominant player in Asia. Cathay is getting closer to Air China, part of the Star Alliance, I could see them easily departing oneworld soon. If we lose JAL as well, what will be the impact to oneworld. Would oneworld, and by extension AA, be relegated to a second tier alliance and airline? You could see the domino effect of this; Qantas, Iberia, Finnair, depart for stronger alliances.

I'm not in favor of AA investing half a billion dollars (the current number being bandied about by the media) in JAL, but if Delta does, then JAL is likely to bolt OneWorld for the Leftover Alliance; that would force me to HKG for nearly all Asian connections.

I understand you probably don't feel this way, but "they" is really "we". Harm to the company (they) does not necessarily mean you(us) are immune.

I believe there's situations in which your statement may be accurate, however, would you suggest that the company not invest in itself until the 2003 pay rates are restored? Would you suggest that we not invest in advertising, computer system, aircraft, etc.?

Looking mid to long term, how much would it harm AA to not have a dominant player in Asia. Cathay is getting closer to Air China, part of the Star Alliance, I could see them easily departing oneworld soon. If we lose JAL as well, what will be the impact to oneworld. Would oneworld, and by extension AA, be relegated to a second tier alliance and airline? You could see the domino effect of this; Qantas, Iberia, Finnair, depart for stronger alliances.

That argument has been tried already more than once. Give us our wages back and productivity will improve,moral goes up,therfore the company is more stable. They(management), not us, are enrinching themselves on the backs of our labor while our wages have remained stagnet.THEY continue to make decisions that impact my quality of life, THEY continue to recieve multimillion dollar bonuses while we havent recieved anything ecxcept in increase in isurance costs which further erodes our wages.THEY continue to stall the contract talks. So you see there is really a "they" which isnt us,the front line employees that do the work which keeps the machine rolling while THEY sit in centerport trying to keep US down. :shock:

Will Arpey "Fall back" and watch Delta steal JAL right out from under his nose?

Yahoo

AP News

So Gerry finds himself in quite a spot doesn't he? Invest in JAL, spending potentially hundreds of millions AMR can not afford or let Delta swoop in and we lose JAL and further reduce AMR's insignificant Asian presence to complete irrelevance.

What's Gerry gonna' do now? The NW management at DL is playing hardball and Gerry doesn't have a clue what to do, other than retreat.

Let's just hope that it's not one of those situations like when we purchased TWA. United was talking about merging with US Airways so Carty goes out and buys TWA and the United-US Airways thing doesn't go through and we're stuck with a bunch of problems for the next zillion years.

I hate to see us spending that much money we don't have just to wind up in a not so great situation. I'm not sure I have faith in our management's decison making skills.

AA employees are already the most generously paid in the industry. If the pay is not sufficient to your liking, quit and find another job.

AA needs to make long-term investments in its future, and JAL is one of those investments. Hopefully it happens.

Were the most generously paid, huh? Where do you get your information?
Check out AA's own negotiations site. Were in the middle of the pack and falling further to the back. Please check your information before you state it as fact.
And another thing. AA needs to invest in its longest term investments.....Its employees!

AA employees are already the most generously paid in the industry. If the pay is not sufficient to your liking, quit and find another job.

AA needs to make long-term investments in its future, and JAL is one of those investments. Hopefully it happens.

Sadly, our US laws continue to protect those companies that have failed and allow them to strip their contracts and debt, then retrun with stronger balance sheets.

If AMR is to survive may have to level that playing field by declaring Bankruptcy. :down:

Did Arpey tell you to post this tripe? :shock:

This situation with JAL may turn out to be similar to that of the relationship AA had with CP several (10-15) years ago. Although AMR got a good return on its investment from CP via Sabre, they still lost CP to AC and * alliance. If the AA/BA/IB ATI application is rejected, AA should seriously think about joining another alliance (i.e what are the odds of LH dumping UA out of * in favor of AA :shock:).

I've been on the phone most of the morning trying to get some information and I've become rather sensitiveto the "reading of the book" answers that I get - both by the Customer Service agents and now, corporate yes boys such as yourself.

Please - we know we can leave whenever we want. Keep your attitude in your cubicle.

We are? :lol: Wait..... :lol: no, but really, :lol:

Wow, you are completely way off with this assessment. WAY off. I'd erase it until you got your facts straight if I were you. You're besmirching your spotless reputation of being the guru of all things AA.

Why would we quit and give management what they want? We're not going anywhere because we like our jobs, we deserve to get adequate recognition for doing them, and we're not going to let them win. Arpey and his useless pals should quit.