Will US Airways consider to add ETOPS certified for 3 Airbus narrowbody models?

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
Will US Airways consider to add ETOPS certified for all 3 Airbus narrowbody models? What do you think?

Airbus A320, A321 and A319, including the corporate jet version, are approved for 180 minute extended range twin-engine operations (ETOPS). The approval was granted by the Federal Aviation Administration after European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) had granted the same approval in March 2004.

The first 180 minute ETOPS aircraft certified by the FAA, an A319 corporate jet is planned to be delivered in May to an undisclosed US customer.

A318 ETOPS approval (EASA and FAA) is targeted for 2nd half of this year, leading to the complete Airbus Single Aisle Family to be ETOPS certified by both Authorities.

This 180 min ETOPS Type Design approval granted by the FAA recognises the compliance of aircraft design with current US ETOPS rules and the significant ETOPS experience accumulated worldwide as well as the high reliability of A320 family ETOPS operations.

ETOPS, is an International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) rule permitting twin-engined commercial aircraft operators to fly routes that are up to 180 minutes flying time from the nearest airport.

Airbus is an EADS joint company with BAE Systems

I would say probably not, US does have the markets for an ETOPS Airbus Narrow Body.

AIRWOMAN,

If you're having problems with the 757, you definitely don't want a little Bus on the route. "How long can you tread water" comes to mind....

Jim

AIRWOMAN,

If you're having problems with the 757, you definitely don't want a little Bus on the route. "How long can you tread water" comes to mind....

Jim
Good point.......I'm not a pilot and have never taken that trip across the pond.

Just curious as to who will and/or would. Who knows. Can't discount anything these days. :unsure:

Like most airplanes, if you add enough fuel capacity (and ETOPS if necessary, like HI), you can go almost anywhere you want. The problem with adding enough fuel capacity to the little Buses to make HI is that you limit seating pretty significantly.

PHL to the west coast is about 400nm shorther than PHL-HNL - figure about an hour of flying time westbound. That's 5000# more fuel, which equals about less 25 passengers.

I would expect that the 757's, with ETOPs and increased gross weight would be able to make it with a full passenger load (though I'm not sure what effect the summer temps in PHX would have, but they'd effect the little Buses also).

BTW, what's happening with getting the increased gross weight paperwork for the 757's from Boeing?

Jim

Ive done PHL SEA with over 6 hours of flight time in the A319. We didn't even fill it up with gas.

A320 Driver

I would hope you would be put Jet-A in and not gas.

ETOPS flights usually mean lots of cargo, the baby buses are not suited for those flights.

I guess the question is could you have flown another 500nm while still having alternate/reserve fuel, done it from an airport 1000' higher (PHX) with the summer temps there? And do it with a full passenger load? And their bags? And cargo?

We're gonna be flying the higher gross weight ETOPs version of the 757 several hundred miles further than PHX-HNL, or about 800nm furthur than PHL-SEA. That's equivalent to about 2 hours westbound.

Jim

PHL to the west coast is about 400nm shorther than PHL-HNL - figure about an hour of flying time westbound. That's 5000# more fuel, which equals about less 25 passengers.

Jim:

You meant PHX-HNL, didn't you?

:oops: Oops - yes, by all means I meant PHX. Sorry. I'll see if I can still edit it.

They need an "I am stupid" smiley for me.....

Jim

I guess the question is could you have flown another 500nm while still having alternate/reserve fuel, done it from an airport 1000' higher (PHX) with the summer temps there? And do it with a full passenger load? And their bags? And cargo?

We're gonna be flying the higher gross weight ETOPs version of the 757 several hundred miles further than PHX-HNL, or about 800nm furthur than PHL-SEA. That's equivalent to about 2 hours westbound.

Jim

That wasn't really my point. You could probably make it without getting your feet wet but doesn't make much sense.

A320 Driver

Back