WN Mechanics seek mediation

I don't doubt that one bit WeAAsles.  And here's more on the same issue you speak of and all 3 of the biggest groups at SWA have always said.  Making note of this paragraph about mechanics, pilots and F/A's saying the same for years:

"The eventual findings could become factors in increasingly protracted contract negotiations with three key labor groups — mechanics, pilots and flight attendants — that have been ongoing for years. Labor has repeatedly blamed Southwest CEO Gary Kelly for dragging his feet on getting new deals done."

Business
Southwest Airlines senior ops honcho's memo reveals meltdown's big impact

Reactions: 1 person
swamt said:
I don't doubt that one bit WeAAsles.  And here's more on the same issue you speak of and all 3 of the biggest groups at SWA have always said.  Making note of this paragraph about mechanics, pilots and F/A's saying the same for years:

"The eventual findings could become factors in increasingly protracted contract negotiations with three key labor groups — mechanics, pilots and flight attendants — that have been ongoing for years. Labor has repeatedly blamed Southwest CEO Gary Kelly for dragging his feet on getting new deals done."

Business
Southwest Airlines senior ops honcho's memo reveals meltdown's big impact[/size]
Maybe it was a good thing that the TWU rampers on the West coast made a bad tactical error when they went to that "union meeting"? They forced the hand of their negotiators and had to release that TA for a vote to get those members back.

Yes it barely passed by a hair but it passed and now they are moving forward. On a side note when I read that TA I really don't know how I would have voted either? It probably literally would have come down to a coin flip for me, I was so undecided. I couldn't even gauge if I thought it would pass or fail?

I know you guys have a lot of issues from reading your groups updates but sometimes I wonder if you also should just move forward? Who really benefits from negotiating for years?

WeAAsles said:
Maybe it was a good thing that the TWU rampers on the West coast made a bad tactical error when they went to that "union meeting"? They forced the hand of their negotiators and had to release that TA for a vote to get those members back.

Yes it barely passed by a hair but it passed and now they are moving forward. On a side note when I read that TA I really don't know how I would have voted either? It probably literally would have come down to a coin flip for me, I was so undecided. I couldn't even gauge if I thought it would pass or fail?

I know you guys have a lot of issues from reading your groups updates but sometimes I wonder if you also should just move forward? Who really benefits from negotiating for years?
To answer your last question, the co. benefits from years of nego's.  So far they have gotten away with a 4 year pay freeze for the 3 biggest groups remaining at SWA.  Let's not forget that it was stated in the very beginning that the co. wanted to try and get a 5 year pay freeze in order to start taking better care of the investors.  So we all know this has always been planned and controlled by the co. to drag out nego's.  So sad. Looking forward to our nego's update to really see just exactly how the co. is looking at moving forward or if they are working on taking some steps backwards, I fully expect the latter...

swamt said:
To answer your last question, the co. benefits from years of nego's.  So far they have gotten away with a 4 year pay freeze for the 3 biggest groups remaining at SWA.  Let's not forget that it was stated in the very beginning that the co. wanted to try and get a 5 year pay freeze in order to start taking better care of the investors.  So we all know this has always been planned and controlled by the co. to drag out nego's.  So sad. Looking forward to our nego's update to really see just exactly how the co. is looking at moving forward or if they are working on taking some steps backwards, I fully expect the latter...

Agreed swamt...

You are damn right the company benefits from prolonging negotiations. They give this dude Babbit or rabbit or what ever the hell  his name is, a presidential award. What a  damn joke. This company thrives off of propaganda. LUV is a gotdamn myth.  We have put our sweat into the success of this company and should share in the success. I personally have sweated my ass off keeping these planes safe and airworthy night after night,. Give us what is due us. Quit playing games Southwest!

Reactions: 2 people
D7571987 said:
No update from amfa? 
Not so far. Here's a tid bit from our National Director stating the update will be out soon.  Notice he did state that SWA's offer remained the same from the last offer and if so, again no movement by the co. but I will not judge yet until we get the official update from our negotiators.  

Read More...

I agree with lineguy.  Our nego team needs to get more dates set for each month. They should be meeting 4 times a month not just 1 or 2.  Hell the new asso. over at AA is meeting with their co. a heck of alot more than we are.  Our nego's should be asking the mediators to pls set more dates each month. Matter fact this last meeting was the first meeting in 3 months for the mechanics, that's not good enough.  And for a 3 month no meet or greet and the co. remains the same as far as their proposal?  C'mon man get a clue...

And now the F/A's union joined in on the vote of no confidence.  After long meetings and talks within the F/A's TWU union they did come to a vote of no confidence following the Pilots and Mechanics at SWA.  It is time for something to happen, what that exactly is will be seen in the future. 4 years is wayyyy too long. The investors have been repaid big time, it is time to focus on the employees once again or SWA will risk the biggest unset labor strife they have ever faced before.  Something has to give to save the culture that has been the poster child of the airline industry. Bring herb back, we miss him and he gets contracts done. Too much focus on profits.

Southwest Air flight attendants join CEO, COO no-confidence vote

And more unions join in on the "No-confidence" vote for the leaders of SWA. Pretty bad when about 40K employees out of not quite 50K vote No-confidence in the 2 leaders. And take note, unions that are not in negotiations are also voting no-confidence of the CEO and the COO.  So not so much just the unions trying to gain some sort of "leverage" at the nego table...

Press Release: Southwest Airlines’ Four Largest Unions Join Together in Demand for New Leadership
August 3, 2016 -- (DALLAS) – Boards of directors from the four largest unions at Southwest Airlines, representing nearly 38,000 of SWA’s approximately 50,000 employees, all completed votes of “no confidence” in the CEO and COO of the airline. The representative organizations include the flight attendants (TWU 556), mechanics (AMFA), pilots (SWAPA), and Ground Operations (TWU 555) employees. 
Read More...

The long awaited nego's update from our July nego's is here.  One note is the company has not moved at all from their last offer. The co. has stated "no" to all request of the union except for one about vac sell back increasing to 80 hours from 40.  Notice the union moved to modify or change on up to 3 of the co's asks. Now who is playing hard ball here?  Who is the stallers here? It's the co. as we have always known.  It is time for the mediators to do their job and get these two to come to an agreement. What good are mediators unless they can get movement from "both" sides, not just one?  Maybe it's time to move on to arbitration?  Tired of the games by the co. and wearing very thin of no action from the mediators. It's freakin time to move forward:

AMFA - SWA Technician Negotiations Update #43
August 3, 2016 -- AMFA met with the Company in Dallas, Texas on July 26–28, 2016, for a scheduled mediated session. To begin the session, the AMFA Negotiating Committee chairmen met with the mediator, and with her guidance we worked as a Committee to again prepare a list of our "asks" to be presented to the Company. AMFA later met with the Company and presented our list, which included... 
Read More...

I find it unreasonable in times of extraordinary growth and profits to be asking for financial concessions from mechanics considering the double didget growth in our CEO's pay, which includes generous stock options, since 2012. The terms "unsustainable" and "safety issue" used as justification for certain "must haves" is ludicrous and insulting. I'm certainly open to common sense operational changes that would decrease flight cancellations and delays but at this time I'll be taking a hands off approach to language that removes thousands of dollars from my paycheck. Our contract is certainly unique in this industry and has drawn many talented mechanics away from Southwest's competitors with many years of valuable experience. Our sacrifice for leaving a high seniority position at the legacy carriers to start "at the bottom" is being met the outright hostility and disrespect. Mr. Kelly, I don't begrudge you your pay as you've been instrumental in building an awesome airline so please, don't begrudge mine.

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts