World Aids Day...

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Today December the 1st is World AIDS day....Please take a moment out of your day to remeber those who have lost their lives to this terrible epidemic...and ,at the same time, take a moment to say a prayer of Hope for a cure to this horrific disease.

In Rememberance,

And we can only hope that as an almost completely preventable disease that arrogant and reckless people will stop engaging in extreme risky behavior that allows it to spread. There are some African countries where 80% of the population is infected . . . . and they didn't get it from toilet seats, doorknobs, or even sharing illicit drug needles.

It horrible to think that all this death, suffering, and immense diversion of medical resources is completely preventable. Think of the resources and vast amounts of money sunk into HIV/AIDS that could be used to further advances in other non-preventable diseases.

Winglet said:
And we can only hope that as an almost completely preventable disease that arrogant and reckless people will stop engaging in extreme risky behavior that allows it to spread. There are some African countries where 80% of the population is infected . . . . and they didn't get it from toilet seats, doorknobs, or even sharing illicit drug needles.

It horrible to think that all this death, suffering, and immense diversion of medical resources is completely preventable. Think of the resources and vast amounts of money sunk into HIV/AIDS that could be used to further advances in other non-preventable diseases.
[post="205118"][/post]​

Like other diseases like oh let say lung cancer? Mouth cancer, Emphysema or maybe even the bigotry you seen to suffer from.

Winglet said:

[post="205118"][/post]​

Winglet,

Lets not start pissing matches here. You can't compare apples to oranges. In our country, we have a vast network of education and money to provide such, much which has come from the private sector. And because of this education and money in science to research the immunal sytem (the i in AIDS IS immune), not only have overall rates gone down and/or stablized, but much has been learned BECAUSE of AIDS to treat other diseases.

In the case of Africa, it is a very large continent and MANY of the nations are poor and just haven't got the resources to help educate the masses. I am sure there are many organizations that would love the help of a passionate individual as yourself who could contibute financially or by volunteering in those countries. Not all countries have the luxuries of television or radio. And believe it or not, many still have no electricity, so many poor African nations would welcome you with openned arms to educate, counsel, preach, or lecture.

If we want to stop funding for all diseases that are preventable, then let's start with heart disease. Why fund it when most who die from heart disease are drinkers, smokers, and obese people? If I am responsible and thin, why should MY money go to that. How about diabetis? Weight. Cancer? Smoking?..poor eating habits? Obesity?

You see life, as I am sure you are aware of, is sometimes hard to understand and has alot of gray and very little black and white. I remember one Christmas listening to some of my relatives speak of all the "sins" of the world. Ironically, everyone of them were too busy stuffing their obese faces to recognize that they were just as bad by defying the fact that "Your body is the temple of the Lord." Hum....all the tax money for medicare and medicade to support such.

Today, many people who have HIV are now living with HIV, as opposed to dying from HIV. Not that you really care, but I am a long time HIV surviver of 17 years. While it is so difficult even today with regards to dating...people are scared of mortality issues...I have embraced my old nemisis and have learned much over the years because of such. I am at peace with my mortality AND my maker. I don't ask for anyone's pity and God knows I have paid a huge price for not knowing what was actually risky (1987) at the time, but I know that having HIV has made me a much more understanding, accepting, compassionate, forgiving, and loving man. It's funny, all these are ways lived by Christ, yet many who speak with such judgement, ignorance, intolerance, and prejudice are the first to speak in the name of Christ.

<_<

I no longer begrudge coments. In fact, I understand. My only wish is for those who feel such discomfort where this is concerned to look from within as to why you feel as you do or where all that comes from. In any case, I hope the best health for ALL people, no matter your disease, Lest we forget about those who suffer from mental disease...an definite epidemic in our country, world, and on these exact boards. ;)

These are good examples of the responses that I thought I would get . . . . comparing HIV/AIDS to other diseases that are NOT completely preventable . . . . namely heart disease, cancers. Your arguements are sadly laughable and typical of the political correctness that has poisoned a rational and effective discussion. It's not about judgement . . . . it's about plain and rational discussion.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of fit people that die of heart disease influenced by hereditary factors. Same for cancers. There are plenty of people that have died of cancers that have no know "risk" factors. Those diseases are also not transmittable from person to person. I would say my risk of contracting AIDS is effectively zero, as I have a monogamous relationship with one person, I don't use drugs, and the medical blood supply is well-screened now. The AIDS infected person that passes on the disease through sex or IV drug needles is nothing more than a murderer. And in case you didn't know, the homosexual infection rate is going radically UP in NYC with the advent of errectile drugs and meth . . . . the new form of recreation in the homosexual community . . . . and probably soon to come to some heterosexual communities no doubt.

One case of AIDS is too much. "Stabilization" of the rate is scandalous, especially in the U.S. where you would have to be a complete imbecile not to know how to prevent it.

Further, the problem in Africa is not education. There's been plenty of that, even there. The problem is cultural, which is a lot harder to change . . . . very similar in the homosexual community where promiscuity is rampant.

But you know that. Your arguements are meant to mislead the ignorant, those who cannot think critically, and convince those who want to believe that AIDS is somehow unavoidable now.

Go ahead and stay in denial. But that won't stop the death. What will stop it is not engaging in risky sexual practices and not sharing needles among IV drug users.

FA Mikey - Calling me a bigot says a lot more about your character than mine.

Winglet,

You are right about the meth problem and it's effect on unsafe sex. I lived in NYC at one time and saw what it was doing. So you are right. I also think, at least in the gay community, that the word is getting out to help stop that drug from it's growing contribution, Thanks for poointing that out. I understand your side, but I do not agree. I am not being politically correct at all. Infact, I was very honest with MY assessment. You have a right to yours. I am proud to see that you ARE so educated, but I totally disagree with you that it is not because of education. AND, a disease is a disease. Goody for you that you have been in a long term monogamous relationship. But you know, Winglet, there will be no resolve with you where this is concerned because like it or not, you have certain prejudices that come out. You see the world in a "well I did it, why can't overs" way and unfortunately that is not realistic.

And please do not label diseases. While it is true that many have made poor choices concerning their behavior, I do not see where the decision to overeat, drink too much or smoke, causing heart problems, cancer and diabetis is much different. How many are "innocently" killed from drunk drivers or second hand smoke? See, you too can spin this around as much as you see fit. The problem with that is the narrow way of labeling something good or bad...right or wrong..where as I see it as love or fear. Some fear along the way drives you to say what you do. You are obviously educated, but a bit on edge. I just feel that things in life happen FOR us and not AGAINST. There is always an underlining reason that ALL things happen. AIDS is no different. I don't understand alot of things in life, but I know one can bark about their conviction or do something about making it better.

So can we just agree to disagree? And if you don't feel that you can pay tribute in a positive way, may chill and let other have their observance and mentioning of it without it turning into a discussion about AIDS as oppose to rememberence? If you haven't lost anyone from AIDS, good for you. Many of us HAVE lost friends and loved ones. But the thread was about rememberence and not controversy. Honoring that would be appreciated. If someone said lets have a day of rememberence of those lost of cancer, I wouldn't pick apart that thread and go off on a tangent of what you called "good examples" of what you thought responses would be. I only ask the same here. ;)
Thanks

Before this does become a pissing match, please close this topic or send it to just conversation. I know the intent was good but you guys let these get out of control. Please use better judgement then in controversial topics of past...especially when not about aviation.

firstamendment said:

Before this does become a pissing match, please close this topic or send it to just conversation. I know the intent was good but you guys let these get out of control. Please use better judgement then in controversial topics of past...especially when not about aviation.
[post="205427"][/post]​

I agree with locking this thread, but I can't help but notice, you had to have the last word :down:

Would someone please explain what this topic is doing on the AA board?

It didn't start off with AA and somehow veer off to AIDS. It is a blatant troll of a topic and should be deleted.

There are probably a thousand websites where you can discuss AIDS. I want to read about aviation, which is why I visit a website called "usaviation".

Imagolfer said:
I agree with locking this thread, but I can't help but notice, you had to have the last word :down:
[post="205439"][/post]​
I think he went for the Just Conversation part that I suggested. As you can see, I didn't get the last word in. :lol:

Winglet is right.

HIV and AIDS is sad, but except for innocent blood donor recipients and babies from AIDS parents, it is simply a choice millions chose to gamble on.

People who choose this behavior, and it certainly is a choice, are costing American taxpayers millions.

Why is this fair?

AIDS is the ONLY preventable disease. Millions of Americans don't want to spend one more cent for people who brought this on themselves.

Another example is druggies in the emergency room. Although I agree that every effort should be made to save their lives, there is a problem for the rest of non-druggie America. If someone costs his local hospital (and the city taxpayers) untold thousands because he was brought in dying because of an overdose,and there is an innocent person waiting in the overloaded emergency room, I think that person should be forced to repay every cent expended for his care.

No free taxpayer ride for those who did it to themselves.

Why should I be forced to pay for the care of some gang-banging druggie who overdosed from illegal drugs of his own free will?

I've read that there is legislation (only in the discussion stage) to address this problem. It covers medical costs for illegals , drug OD's and self inflicted diseases, and future laws regarding taxpayer responsibility, or denial of free care.

Arguing about cancer and other diseases is NOT the same.

And it never will be.

It's the opinion of millions that those who end up in the health care system because of ther OWN choices should not be given free healthcare, unless they are forever incapacitated. If they recover and are capable of employment, demand legally that they repay every dime.

Some say Gay is a choice. Some argue that people are born that way.

I don't know which is correct, not that it really matters.

In either case, neither of the two is forced to have sex. Then it has become THEIR choice, with correlating consequences.

I've lost 5 friends to AIDS. I liked them as friends, and kept my mouth shut about my opinions of their behavior. Keep it out of my face, and knock yourself out, is my personal opinion.

I have 2 co-workers who won't be around much longer, although they behave as though nothing is wrong, and act like the rest of us can't see their huge sarcomas. My company insurance payment will rise because of these two, and those like them.

Should I be forced to pay more for company insurance because they are paying out hundreds of thousands to people who made CHOICES?

If you are a male who chooses to have homosexual sex with another male, fine. It's your life. Not my business.

But please stop expecting the rest of America to pick up your medical treatment and hospice care.

Fair is fair. And enough is enough.

Maybe you are right, maybe not..but turn away those heteros with syphillis...which CAN lead to death. Those straights can do what ever they want behind close doors. Please don't throw it in MY face and breeders, stop the knocking each other up and going on welfare, for which my taxes go AND while we're at it, I think hospitals should turn away mothers of unwanted pregnacies, illegitimate children because adultry and sex before marriage is a sin.

TC, it could go on and on. But please, just because two people of the same sex HAVE sex doesn't mean they will get aids. For every one of those 5 people you say lost their lives to aids and you of course kept your opinions silent, I can name dozens of 20-30 years monogamous gay relationships. Also, there are many who are LIVING with HIV and trying to educate both straights AND gays on their behaviors. And before heteros start throwing stones at the behaviors of gays, they need to look at their own, thank you very much.

We agree on more then you think. I don't think there is any one answer to getting rid of aids except to just not have sex. That is NOT realistic, gay or straight...although the right hand can be your safest measure to safer sex. ;)

firstamendment said:
. I don't think there is any one answer to getting rid of aids except to just not have sex. That is NOT realistic,

And why not is it not realistic?

And please stop referring to normal
Americans as"breeders", unless you care to hear the other side of that coin.

Do what you wish, just stop expecting everyone else to pick up your medical/funeral expenses.

If you decide to snort insectides, and end up in the intensive care ward, do I owe YOU your medical bill?

firstamendment said:
Maybe you are right, maybe not..but turn away those heteros with syphillis...which CAN lead to death.

Yeahh, those figures are through the roof, aren't they?

Those straights can do what ever they want behind close doors. Please don't throw it in MY face and breeders, stop the knocking each other up and going on welfare, for which my taxes go AND while we're at it, I think hospitals should turn away mothers of unwanted pregnacies, illegitimate children because adultry and sex before marriage is a sin.

"adultry and sex before marriage is a sin. "

And that puts you exactly WHERE?

, it could go on and on. But please, just because two people of the same sex HAVE sex doesn't mean they will get aids. .

But the chances are astronomical, arent they?

We agree on more then you think. I don't think there is any one answer to getting rid of aids except to just not have sex. That is NOT realistic, gay or straight...

And there is your diseased ridden problem. For straights, it IS realistic. We don't screw something who might carry death or disease, unless we are willing to catch that disease.

Why it is not realistic for gays is something I can only imagine.Although I think I already know.

Do what you want, die when you want. Just don't ask me to pay for it.

Fair?

Trip Confirmed said:
firstamendment said:
Maybe you are right, maybe not..but turn away those heteros with syphillis...which CAN lead to death.

Yeahh, those figures are through the roof, aren't they?

Those straights can do what ever they want behind close doors. Please don't throw it in MY face and breeders, stop the knocking each other up and going on welfare, for which my taxes go AND while we're at it, I think hospitals should turn away mothers of unwanted pregnacies, illegitimate children because adultry and sex before marriage is a sin.

"adultry and sex before marriage is a sin. "
And that puts you exactly WHERE?
, it could go on and on. But please, just because two people of the same sex HAVE sex doesn't mean they will get aids. .

But the chances are astronomical, arent they?

We agree on more then you think. I don't think there is any one answer to getting rid of aids except to just not have sex. That is NOT realistic, gay or straight...
And there is your diseased ridden problem. For straights, it IS realistic. We don't screw something who might carry death or disease, unless we are willing to catch that disease.
Why it is not realistic for gays is something I can only imagine.Although I think I already know.

Do what you want, die when you want. Just don't ask me to pay for it.

Fair?
[post="226809"][/post]​

This faggot doesn't ask a God d@mn thing from you, mustless ask you to pay for my medical expenses or funeral. I have a wonderful family and friends who love me for who I am, so your ignorant and false comebacks don't faze this longtime survivor at all and I could give a sh!t what you have to say.

Latest posts

Back