Yikes! Step 9 In Order Of Open Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
From the APFA hotline today: We have received notification from Crew Schedule that LAX, SFO and LGA are at Steps 7,8 and 9 of the order of open time coverage. Article 9.L. addresses flying to be assigned in the event Crew Schedule is unable to cover in the contractual steps 1 through 6 of the order of open time. Specifically, step 7 calls for Regularly scheduled Flight Attendants at the base to be contacted in reverse order of seniority, provided there is no conflict with his/her scheduled duty-free period. Step 8 calls for reserve flight attendants to be called on a duty free period and Step 9 calls for Regularly Scheduled Flight Attendants to be called on a duty free period.

Anyone know the reason? Was there weather that messed things up? Are we that short staffed? Granted this should be short lived possibly over by tomorrow. If you are on the last step in the order of open time. The company is scrambling to staff flights.

September the end of the year, shoud be some high attrition numbers. We will see how many were waiting for the 777 payout. I think MK is right. We should be getting the first of the TW people returing b spring.

Has more to do with the 1400 on the sick list. SFO has 25% on the sick list and a base cannot operate with on 75% of the people working. LGA is in a similar situation. Huge number of people on the sick list. I do not think it is financially sound for the company to re-hire more FA’s when the existing sick list is over inflated by aprox 50%. If the sick list were to stabilize at a normal number, then everyone could make an accurate assessment of how many people are needed to staff the flights. With any luck after the pay out, the sick list may adjust it’s self a bit.

Garfield, is there any way for you to tell if the people on the sick list are the very senior flight attendants? Rumor has it that a number of the more senior flight attendants are burning sick leave in preparation for retirement. (They are doing this because the company decided not to pay retirees for sick leave or give them pension credit for it like most normal companies. For instance, my sister retired from teaching 6 months early last year due to the credit for the sick leave she had accrued and not used indiscriminately.)

Jim,

We do not have that info but I am sure someone somewhere does. If I were to make WAG, I would say that the distribution is fairly broad, perhaps a bit weighted toward senior FA’s waiting to retire. I have been getting calls from new FA’s who call in sick all the time, to a FA who has not flown since Sept of 1998 to a FA who non-reved out the day before their seq, called in sick the day of, and then non-reved back home the day after their 3 day seq ended. I had to reassign a FA to cover that one. Which I could have given the name and address of the “sickâ€￾ person to the FA I had to RA.

I’m not sure about you Jim but when I hired on nearly 20 years ago, I was made aware that my sick time had no financial value to me. I agreed to the terms of employment when I signed on. If I do not like it, I can always leave. They are abusing the sick policy, their actions have dire consequences on their fellow employees (RA’s, furloughs not being called back, delays… etc) and there should be consequence for their actions.

Garfield1966 said:
Jim,

We do not have that info but I am sure someone somewhere does. If I were to make WAG, I would say that the distribution is fairly broad, perhaps a bit weighted toward senior FA’s waiting to retire. I have been getting calls from new FA’s who call in sick all the time, to a FA who has not flown since Sept of 1998 to a FA who non-reved out the day before their seq, called in sick the day of, and then non-reved back home the day after their 3 day seq ended. I had to reassign a FA to cover that one. Which I could have given the name and address of the “sickâ€￾ person to the FA I had to RA.

I’m not sure about you Jim but when I hired on nearly 20 years ago, I was made aware that my sick time had no financial value to me. I agreed to the terms of employment when I signed on. If I do not like it, I can always leave. They are abusing the sick policy, their actions have dire consequences on their fellow employees (RA’s, furloughs not being called back, delays… etc) and there should be consequence for their actions.
[post="175245"][/post]​
It is a combination of huge sick list
crappy lines
weather
and too many on furlough

persoanlly I am tired of re assigning i wish we could all just go to work do our jobs and than the re assignments would be at a minimum.

Hold on to your hat Myrtle, the rest of the year is going to get bumpy. September had some real crapo lines and I even told my base manager that the sick list would sky rocket.

I just hate it when I am right.

crew4aa said:
Hold on to your hat Myrtle, the rest of the year is going to get bumpy. September had some real crapo lines and I even told my base manager that the sick list would sky rocket.

I just hate it when I am right.
[post="175496"][/post]​

They never believe anything we tell them. I agree September is just the beginning to the sick list being high. We still have October (Halloween), November (Thanksgiving), December (Christmas and New Years Eve) and to start the year off in January we have New Years Day!

Let the fun begin. ;)

On the news today - they stated that the flu would be on an increase this year due to the scare on the tainted flu shots. People will be hesitant to get them, thus spreading the flu virus.

So, I am sure the sick list will increase over the winter months until next spring.

jsn25911 said:
On the news today - they stated that the flu would be on an increase this year due to the scare on the tainted flu shots. People will be hesitant to get them, thus spreading the flu virus.

So, I am sure the sick list will increase over the winter months until next spring.
[post="175527"][/post]​
I got one for the first time last year. I got sick 3 times. Never got a shot before and would be ill once tops. Lucky me would always seem to be on long stretch of days off.

Wayne, Dont remember were you are based in Miami and have seen what they do to the senior lines. This month was really bad because many lines had 2 pursers on them and some even three. My line even switches 4 LHRs as purser and one as number two? The new rocket scientists must be working over time in planning and manning. There were a number of senior people put on AVBL due to the fact that they didn't hold a selection. Then they wonder why Miami is always short pursers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back