You think AA has on-time troubles now?

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
If you think AA's on-time performance is bad now....wAAit if they file bankruptcy what's going to happen.
Ain't no bankruptcy judge gonna fix morale if he rapes us further at AA's request...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/

From the article, it appears that AA's July on-time numbers weren't bad:

The six airlines placing higher than American in July were: Hawaiian, 95.1 percent; Alaska, 90.9 percent; Southwest, 83.8 percent; AirTran, 81.2 percent; Mesa, 80.8 percent, and Delta, 79.8 percent.

So of the airlines with better July numbers, only one (DL) is a legacy network carrier. UA, CO and US finished below AA.

it's also worth noting that in addition to the significant variability that can happen month to month in on-time, various airlines have been at very different places in the OT rankings depending on how badly they wanted to improve their numbers.
DL did not do terribly well operationally last summer but put forth a whole lot of effort to improve its operational performance - good and bad performance are both costly; finding a happy medium is very tricky to do. DL hired hundreds of people over the past year which helped their on-time (even though they then turned around and offered early outs).
Even in bad weather, airlines can return on-time if they are willing to pay pilots and FAs to arrive early and have planes unproductively sitting around.
It's also worth noting that airlines in deep financial distress -including BK - often improve their operational performance both because the schedule is usually reduced and because employees know that holding on to customers during BK might make the difference in whether their company survives or not. Recent history shows that most employees will put out the stops and work a little harder to help the company during its crisis in order to help secure their own future.

Reactions: 1 person
It's also worth noting that airlines in deep financial distress -including BK - often improve their operational performance both because the schedule is usually reduced and because employees know that holding on to customers during BK might make the difference in whether their company survives or not. Recent history shows that most employees will put out the stops and work a little harder to help the company during its crisis in order to help secure their own future.

WT, we already pulled out all the stops in 2003......AA is never happy......I'm down $180,000 in concessions alone since 2003....The only stops I'm going to pull out is to make sure the aircraft is as airworthy as they day it was certified.

I don't recall bankruptcy generally having any material impact one way or another on the on-time performance of any other legacy U.S. airline during their bankruptcy (bankruptcies) - I think dependability is really about the airline and its operations, whether bankrupt or not.

Frankly, I would expect that AA's dependability numbers should improve dramatically in the relatively near future as more and more old airplanes leave the fleet. The reliability numbers of seen for some of the older fleets is pretty bad, and I've had several MD80 OSO due to MX just in the last few months, whereas even up until last year I rarely had that happen. Tons of brand new 737s and A320s should substantially improve AA's on-time numbers in coming months and years.

The last report I saw on this was bankruptcy hadn't negatively impacted on-time dependability *or* load factors in the past 20 years, unless it has been in direct reaction to a labor action.

It has served as the ultimate wake-up call for those who are in denial, since as mentioned, a few carriers saw dependability improve.

I can confidently say that very few flight attendants are interested in seeing a late departure and would not likely take part in a slow down. We want to get to our layovers, home, commuter flight etc... Plus, we are in direct contact with the passengers and I certainly don't enjoy listening to anymore complaints regarding delays then i do now. AND, there is no way that an increase in late departures will have any sway at the negotiation table.

Reactions: 2 people
The last report I saw on this was bankruptcy hadn't negatively impacted on-time dependability *or* load factors in the past 20 years, unless it has been in direct reaction to a labor action.

It has served as the ultimate wake-up call for those who are in denial, since as mentioned, a few carriers saw dependability improve.
That's because BK hasn't experienced AA employees who ALREADY gave back billions. Most of the carriers that went bankrupt cut their emplyees legs off right below the knees in BK court where as AA had already cut our legs off just above the ankles BEFORE BK court.

God willing, maybe we will get one of OBAMA's left leaning pro worker BK judges who might finally make sure AA executives finally SHARE THE PAIN!

I don't recall bankruptcy generally having any material impact one way or another on the on-time performance of any other legacy U.S. airline during their bankruptcy (bankruptcies) - I think dependability is really about the airline and its operations, whether bankrupt or not.

Frankly, I would expect that AA's dependability numbers should improve dramatically in the relatively near future as more and more old airplanes leave the fleet. The reliability numbers of seen for some of the older fleets is pretty bad, and I've had several MD80 OSO due to MX just in the last few months, whereas even up until last year I rarely had that happen. Tons of brand new 737s and A320s should substantially improve AA's on-time numbers in coming months and years.

I can see the new 737s improving reliability, because we've had them for years and know them, the A320s however will be impaired by the learning curve, when it breaks, and even new planes break, it will take longer to figure out whats wrong and how to fix them.

You can stick you heads in the sand and deny that morale affects performance, hell you've been doing that for the last eight years at least but you may find that new planes wont improve yopur reliability as much as you hope, after all I think we all agree that when our planes come out of OH they are as close to new as can be yet our reliability isnt what management wants.

That's because BK hasn't experienced AA employees who ALREADY gave back billions. Most of the carriers that went bankrupt cut their emplyees legs off right below the knees in BK court where as AA had already cut our legs off just above the ankles BEFORE BK court.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ------ "God willing, maybe we will get one of OBAMA's left leaning pro worker BK judges who might finally make sure AA executives finally SHARE THE PAIN!"----- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!! Now that's funny! ----- That's right Hopeless, Obama will save you!!! :lol:

I can see the new 737s improving reliability, because we've had them for years and know them, the A320s however will be impaired by the learning curve, when it breaks, and even new planes break, it will take longer to figure out whats wrong and how to fix them.

You can stick you heads in the sand and deny that morale affects performance, hell you've been doing that for the last eight years at least but you may find that new planes wont improve yopur reliability as much as you hope, after all I think we all agree that when our planes come out of OH they are as close to new as can be yet our reliability isnt what management wants.

Reliability and dependability are only as good as the person doing the maintenance. The company loves their pencil whippers, so AA can go around and call the planes reliable and dependable....that's until the plane dies, and then AA accuses US of job actions because it takes an act of god to fix the darn thing.

You're right, morale will not change if AA goes BK. At least mine won't!

:lol: :lol: :lol: ------ "God willing, maybe we will get one of OBAMA's left leaning pro worker BK judges who might finally make sure AA executives finally SHARE THE PAIN!"----- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!! Now that's funny! ----- That's right Hopeless Obama will save you!!! :lol:
Once again, you don't know sarcasm when you read it. maybe its the sun or the coconut juice. Which one is it, OH TRANSGENDERED ONE?

Hey maybe the former TWA people can ask the BK judge to restore their seniority?

wt

"employees know that holding on to customers during BK might make the difference in whether their company survives or not."

What makes you think that employees at AA would care any more if AA files bk? You know that if AA files bk that management will still get their bonuses while labor takes it further up the exhaust pipe.

Simple question.

WHY should we care?

What makes ANYONE think that if AA files bk that once we exit bk things will be any different? After all the management team in place that lied to us with "shAAred sAAcrifice" will still be here. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Labor could work for free and AA management would still find ways to blame labor for the company losing money.

God willing, maybe we will get one of OBAMA's left leaning pro worker BK judges who might finally make sure AA executives finally SHARE THE PAIN!

I guess you overlook the fact that UA's employees got hosed by the ESOP first, and then bankruptcy. And US 's employees got hosed twice. The guys at NWA? TWA?

I know you think it has been so horrible, but I will say it again. Those guys got raped. You got an unwanted pat on the ass.