Your APFA President

galleyguy4u2

Senior
Aug 9, 2003
apfa -

In light of the most recent voting ballot I received in the mail requesting for MORE money and the general misconception that this is a member-driven-union, I would like to share an event that took place a couple of months ago.

Oct 29th I sent some of you a long heart felt e-mail disclosing my frustrations and displeasure with how the union and the company have treated us so badly, for so many years, and the devastating repercussions for the lack of care and productivity on your part in my personal life.

13 hours later, Oct 30th, I find myself in DFW for my EPT's...

During the lunch break, on a near empty cafeteria, I find myself sitting directly across the table from a fellow flight attendant. Mind you, I could have sat anywhere in such a large cafeteria - but for some DIVINE INTERVENTION (and there really is no other explanation). I sat across from such lady and we start to talk...
Niceties, at first, however, 1 + 1 flight attendants = where do you commute from? And that opened the flood gates...!!!

At this point, commuting on a brutal coast to coast, +6 hours on plane for the past 7 years (with no light at the end of the tunnel) I will vent to whomever wants to hear it.
As you must imagine, 3 days off really translate in 1 day at home (since the fisrt and last days are commuting days). 2 days off is basically, a lay-over and 1 day off... It is simply impossible to go home. That turning into several days in a row without going home.
Confiding to that fellow flight attendant across the table how it has been devastating in so many levels, to which she replied: "I don't just know how you guys do it...".

From there, I shared my frustrations on how the union has been completely apathetic to our needs. She didn't seem to agree, so I asked her to give me 3 great examples of what the apfa had done for us in the past 10 (!!!) years. A d-e-c-a-de!!! Well, one could hear a pin drop in that place. I got total-and-absolute silence, to which I replied: "My point exactly!".

Then, I brought up some of the issues that have bothered me (and I'm sure thousands of others) to which the union has not done absolutely anything about it, such as:
Why am I still commuting for the past 7 years??? It seems an outrageous and unacceptable amount of time to be on a transfer list. I had no answer.

Why do I still have to pay to go to work? $80.00 in my case on a first class seat if there is no other seat (or jumpseat) available? On a $600.00 mid-month check - that deduction alone is over 10% of ones check!!!
After all, the plane is going to NY, the seat is empty, I have to be there... Why does this union allow the company to have me pay for a seat to go to work? Basically, for that day, I paid to be employed!
For that, I had no answer.

Why on that God forsaken transfer list, the union allows the company to stop on first person given the transfer that changes his/her mind, not allowing the transfer to go to the next person? Why is that rule still in the contract?!? I had no answer.

Why the transfer list (domestically) still goes by seniority while internationally is a free for all, even allowing flight attendants to sell spots for $3.000 - $5.000 on a lateral move. That seems a bit unethical and a borderline illegal thing to do (at least it should be!)... I had no answer.

Why not give preference on a domestic transfer for a displaced flight attendant out of their home-base due to furlough and only then, after all those people made it back home - where they were ORIGINALLY from - allow the seniority system to kick in?
I am yet to fly with a flight attendant, senior or otherwise that thinks that is fair or right.
We cut our hair, we went anywhere but we made it home! Why allow us to be kept hostage? Why not send us home as soon as possible? I had no answer.

Although the union has no control over the amount of slots given to transfers, 7 years away from home does sound unacceptable! But because it only affects some of us it goes unnoticed - not to the ones who are impacted by it. I guarantee you. Something could and should be done about it. One more time, no answer.

Why so many of the union members seem to make such a smooth transition to AA management?
Even though this is a FREE country, it looks soooo very baaaad...!!! Perpetuating the vast and wide spread feeling amongst us of corruption and deals made "under the table" for personal gain (and if you members of the union think that this is not the general feeling amongst most flight attendants you are in serious denial!).
The vast majority of flight attendants I encounter seem to agree that the job you have provided has been a pure matter of shuffling papers for a few years (as you all seem to be doing so "well" for the past 10), show minimum work and getting out with golden parachutes of your own (such as A3 passes for life!!!). Again, I had no answer for it.

After telling "Laura" in great detail of my upset and frustration with how my attempt with a hardship transfer unfolded when I couldn't get as much as a phone call returned from a union member. Not for the receipt of documents, the date of the meeting, postponement of meetings, resolution... or a simple "How are you doing?" call. And while explaining the importance of keeping a member abreast of such developments - as it was a hardship request after all... To which she simply replied: "Well, that's really the responsibility of your supervisor". My stomach sank!

I pointed it out that I understand the severity of our country's financial situation. How the sky is falling and how things are scary out there. But not doing anything at all to make our work environment tolerable, the union is contributing to the company's wish to have most of us quit. Therefore, avoiding to pay for unemployment and other benefits.
I understand, if it was up to American Airlines (and corporate America as a whole) we would work for free! But the union is supposed to be the "good guys". If the company is thinking of ways to make our lives more difficult, this union should be thinking of ways - thinking outside the box - without costing the company any money - ways to make our lives a little easier. That's your job!!! Otherwise, what's the point? Just fold it and end with the charade...! She didn't have an answer for that either!

Many other issues were brought up to her but "Laura"did not have the answer for any of it - which was simply terrifying to me.
Also, I must admit, it was disturbing to realize that "Laura" simply sat there without the courage, professionalism or integrity to introduce herself as my president. She sat there and hid behind that paper name tag and it was I who put 2 and 2 together as our conversation progressed... as she didn't have a single inteligent answer... as her face started changing color... and as I glanced at her manual to see her initials: L ... G.
To that point she grabbed her food tray and started backing away from the table. Leaving me there - alone - with my questions unanswered and the clear understanding that this union won't change a thing (at least, for the better!). I was simply blown away. I could not believe my eyes and ears.

Not once! "Laura" introduced herself as the president of the apfa or gave me the slightest sign of confidence, an intelligent answer or the understanding of what her job intels or what a union should accomplish to its members. If she can't come to the defense of the institution she represents and for that extent - ME and thousands of others. It was clear to me what an executive, or worse, a Board of Directors can do!
The few words that came out of her mouth were: "You seem very pationate about this... Why don't you get more involved?".
Yeah, "Laura", why don't I commute 3.000 miles, spend an average 10-11 days home (reserve months 4-7) and get more involved!!!??? Surely, I can live on the sole memories of my family!
Incidentally, that from the same people that leave crucial contract points on the table Fridays because everybody has to ruuuun home to their families! Why are your families lives so much more important than ours?
She also had the all-inspiring advice: "Don't forget to wear your union pin!" and other run-of-the-mill random phrases, completely missing the points I was trying to make.

Not once! She said: "Hi, Luis, I AM Laura Glading, your union president, and I can see how frustrated and upset you are, and we at the apfa are doing (...) to make things a little better for all of us". She simply sat there, hiding behind the anonymity of that "Laura" paper name tag.

Finally, I would like to point out that this not happened to a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who told me while seating on a jumpseat sharing airline tales.
It happened to ME and these are the scary and unaltered facts. So, with a great level of certainty, I KNOW, that the next 10 years will be a mirror image of the 10 years past and the fact the union has the nerve to ask for more money with absolutely nothing to show for it is an absolute outrage!
Truly, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Bottom line, we are unabashedly, totally, completely and utterly... SCREWED!!!

In Unity (if you mean apfa + AA)

Wow...I have had similar experiences, unfortunately over the phone with Brett Durkin. I am sorry for you and for all of us. I am not thrilled with our leadership or lack of...
Yet at the same time we are in a much better position than othe majors such as Delta and United. I know being junior sucks, I am being affected also at 19 years, but her leadership is temporary, she was right about getting more involved. Perhaps you should run for Base chair, it is a start. Change starts at the bottom.

These are both great examples of our hard working officers and what they are doing for its membership. NADA! Therefore, I am taking matters into my own hands, and relinquising myself from obligation to anything having to do with this "socalled "union APFA.

Well, domestic mutual transfers have had alternates listed since the middle of summer. So you can thank APFA for that. If the first person changes their mind, then they go to the alternates. AA didn't want to do that, so once again thank you APFA. AA also has been doing mutual transfers at a much faster pace then they are contracually required to do, so you can also thank APFA for that again. Just a thought, so you might be a little less jaded. You could also move to where ever you are based, I know you don't want to hear that, but it is an option. Hope things turn around for you, it seems that you are having an overly difficult time in your current situation.

Well, domestic mutual transfers have had alternates listed since the middle of summer. So you can thank APFA for that. If the first person changes their mind, then they go to the alternates. AA didn't want to do that, so once again thank you APFA. AA also has been doing mutual transfers at a much faster pace then they are contracually required to do, so you can also thank APFA for that again. Just a thought, so you might be a little less jaded. You could also move to where ever you are based, I know you don't want to hear that, but it is an option. Hope things turn around for you, it seems that you are having an overly difficult time in your current situation.

Well said IORFA.
commuting to work is an option.

You could also move to where ever you are based, I know you don't want to hear that, but it is an option.

Well said IORFA.
commuting to work is an option.

So the two of you know everyone's circumstances better than them. How do you know that he could move? Do you know his personal situation? Are there family obligations that prevent him from relocating, spouse, significant other, kids in school? Perhaps he is up side down on his mortgage and cannot sell his house or rent it for enough money to cover expenses? Maybe he cannot afford the cost of living in the city where he is based?

Commuting may be just an option in your situation. It is not so for everyone.

Are there family obligations that prevent him from relocating, spouse, significant other, kids in school?

You can always take door number three and QUIT... Find a local job..

Admin: Is there a word limit on whining? <_< Please!!

So the two of you know everyone's circumstances better than them. How do you know that he could move? Do you know his personal situation? Are there family obligations that prevent him from relocating, spouse, significant other, kids in school? Perhaps he is up side down on his mortgage and cannot sell his house or rent it for enough money to cover expenses? Maybe he cannot afford the cost of living in the city where he is based?

Did they accept the job knowing that they would have to commute if they chose not to move to the city in which they would be based?

Did the company lay them off and force them to move to another city, therefore causing them to have to commute?

This sounds like someone buying a house next to an airport, then complaining about the noise after moving in.

Did they accept the job knowing that they would have to commute if they chose not to move to the city in which they would be based?

Did the company lay them off and force them to move to another city, therefore causing them to have to commute?

This sounds like someone buying a house next to an airport, then complaining about the noise after moving in.
It's not quite as cut and dried as this. Many of us DID move to our base city when we were hired 10 years ago. We were then furloughed and when we were recalled we were not given the option to return to that original base. It was either come back to a new base on the other side of the country or resign. A lot of people have been waiting over 6 years for an opportunity to get back home. Those of us at the bottom of the seniority list have been hanging on by the skin of our teeth for the past 7 or 8 years. It would be a difficult decision to move across the country to your new base to know that you are very likely facing another furlough and possibly a different base when (and if) recalled next time. As far as quitting and getting a local job, that's much easier said than done in this economy. I'm certainly not complaining, but I do understand the frustrations of some of my colleagues. I consider myself one of the lucky ones to still have the job I love. Many have never been recalled and never will be.

It's not quite as cut and dried as this. Many of us DID move to our base city when we were hired 10 years ago. We were then furloughed and when we were recalled we were not given the option to return to that original base. It was either come back to a new base on the other side of the country or resign. A lot of people have been waiting over 6 years for an opportunity to get back home. Those of us at the bottom of the seniority list have been hanging on by the skin of our teeth for the past 7 or 8 years. It would be a difficult decision to move across the country to your new base to know that you are very likely facing another furlough and possibly a different base when (and if) recalled next time. As far as quitting and getting a local job, that's much easier said than done in this economy. I'm certainly not complaining, but I do understand the frustrations of some of my colleagues. I consider myself one of the lucky ones to still have the job I love. Many have never been recalled and never will be.
The reason I asked that question is because that is exactly what NWA did to us mechanics in the last couple of years leading up to the strike. They would close maintenance bases with very high seniority and force those people to bump the system. They would then let the churn subside a little, only to reopen some of the same bases and selectively close others. It was a way to force union members to resent each other by the bumping (exercise of seniority) and also a way to wear people down. Most just took the layoff, and stayed in there hometown. After the closure of the high seniority ATL base, I was bumped out of MCO. I tried to commute from MCO. It is nearly impossible to commute from a vacation destination. I finally moved, only to go on strike and get replaced by you know what they are called.

I sympathize with those who are forced to either give up their career or wait for a recall. Sorry for the thread drift.

The reason I asked that question is because that is exactly what NWA did to us mechanics in the last couple of years leading up to the strike. They would close maintenance bases with very high seniority and force those people to bump the system. They would then let the churn subside a little, only to reopen some of the same bases and selectively close others. It was a way to force union members to resent each other by the bumping (exercise of seniority) and also a way to wear people down. Most just took the layoff, and stayed in there hometown. After the closure of the high seniority ATL base, I was bumped out of MCO. I tried to commute from MCO. It is nearly impossible to commute from a vacation destination. I finally moved, only to go on strike and get replaced by you know what they are called.

I sympathize with those who are forced to either give up their career or wait for a recall. Sorry for the thread drift.
Didn't mean to single you out. It sounds like you have every reason to understand the frustrations of those of us who are/were displaced. That's terrible what happened to you. My response was to the the whole discussion.

As far as the domestic transfer situation is concerned, which was brought up in the original post, let me give an example of one of the problems with how they are currently processed. After being furloughed and recalled to a different base, I had been waiting for my transer for 11 months. The company put out a notice of 30 transfers to my home base. I was in operations and overheard a conversation between two more senior flight attendants. One said he was not going to put in for the transfer because he wasn't sure he would take it and he didn't want to keep someone else from gettting it. The other one told him to do it anyway because that was the "privilege of seniority." He could decide later. I didn't hold that transfer and 6 people who did turned it down. I personally believe that one of three things should happen: 1.) If someone turns down a transfer, the company should offer it to the next person on the list, 2.) If someone holds a transfer, they should have to take it (like and international proffer), or 3.) If someone turns down a transfer, they should go the the bottom of the transfer list. As it is now, they can turn down the transfer and then turn right around and put their name back on the list for the next round, keeping a more junior person from getting a transfer the next time.

I personally believe that one of three things should happen: 1.) If someone turns down a transfer, the company should offer it to the next person on the list, 2.) If someone holds a transfer, they should have to take it (like and international proffer), or 3.) If someone turns down a transfer, they should go the the bottom of the transfer list. As it is now, they can turn down the transfer and then turn right around and put their name back on the list for the next round, keeping a more junior person from getting a transfer the next time.
I cannot believe that when someone turns down a transfer, it does not get offered to the next junior person on the list. Obviously I do not know how your CBA covers these transfers, but that only makes sense.

Also, under our CBA, we had a dues payment that was lowered for laid-off/inactive members that were still eligible for recall. It was only few dollars/month. You did have to pay another initiation/re-activation fee if/when you were recalled. That was a sensible policy.

PLEASE, post this to as many places as you can! Everyone needs to know this happened to you...I'm talking Facebook Twitter and anywhere else you can think of.

Debra
SLT

I personally know the flight attendant who wrote this letter. Like myself we both were based in LAX and furloughed in 2003. Now, 7 years later we still are on the transfer list to get back to LAX. 7 years is way to long to be waiting for a transfer! The AAPFA is a worthless and in bed with AA!