Your APFA President

Maark767,

Um, we voted NO in 2003. Do you remember? The AAPFA and yes its the AAPFA sold us out! They fixed the vote so AA could get the yes they wanted. Wonder why JW's mortgage was paid off in 2003.
Really, and you have something to show that or is this just more galley gossip?

AA couldn't have filed BK in 2003. They had to much cash on hand and to many assets. No judge would have allowed it.
Amazing they were able to convince everyone, the flight attendants, the pilots and the mechanics of the necessity. You were the only person to see through the smoke screen and know they were actually flush with cash.

Maark, you drank the Kool-AAid back in 2003 and you are still boozing it up today. I woke up back in 2003 when I lost 32% of my contract to AA, because of the AAPFA!
You lost because of the after math of 911 and down turn in the economy. You were working for an airline that was flying nearly empty planes. competing against other airlines flying nearly empty planes.

Um, we voted NO in 2003. Do you remember? The AAPFA and yes its the AAPFA sold us out! They fixed the vote so AA could get the yes they wanted. Wonder why JW's mortgage was paid off in 2003.

You should call the Department of Labor with that one. Or are you just making things up? I suspect that it's the latter.

AA couldn't have filed BK in 2003. They had to much cash on hand and to many assets. No judge would have allowed it.

You're simply wrong. Your knowledge of the Bankruptcy Code appears to be even less than my knowledge of what it takes to be a flight attendant. Chapter 11 contains no limits on the amount of cash a debtor may have and imposes no limits on assets. Bankruptcy judges don't "allow" or disallow Ch 11 petitions based on the cash or assets of the debtor.

Maark, you drank the Kool-AAid back in 2003 and you are still boozing it up today. I woke up back in 2003 when I lost 32% of my contract to AA, because of the AAPFA!

32%? Now I know that you just make stuff up and post it.

Last year at this time, the company and the union announced that the airline would absorb the overage that existed after there weren't enough takers for the voluntary options that were offered.

Not a month passed before the "subject to furlough" letters went out and more than three hundred f/a's were laid off.

Last year at this time, the company and the union announced that the airline would absorb the overage that existed after there weren't enough takers for the voluntary options that were offered.

Not a month passed before the "subject to furlough" letters went out and more than three hundred f/a's were laid off.
No I don't think they ever said that last year. This is something new to this year, but if you can find proof that they said it, please prove me wrong. Last year all they said was that they would try to mitigate as many furloughs as possible. I have never heard them say anything about absorbing the overage...this is a first.

No I don't think they ever said that last year. This is something new to this year, but if you can find proof that they said it, please prove me wrong. Last year all they said was that they would try to mitigate as many furloughs as possible. I have never heard them say anything about absorbing the overage...this is a first.

You are 100% correct AAstew but you have a few on this boards that are so bitter on their
own misery that they will spread false rumors to bring everyone else with them.
Am sick and tire of their bitterness, anger and hate. They should go and get a job
at Walmart maybe they will be happy there. They think that there is this conspiricy
to get them, etc.....they need to get a life. Very sad way of living your life.

I have never heard them say anything about absorbing the overage...this is a first.

January:

This is Lauri Curtis, and today is Wednesday, January 28, 2009.

Let me get right to the great news: we were once again able to award enough voluntary options in order to avoid any furloughs. Although we fell slightly short of our near-term headcount targets, we will be offering monthly Bid Leaves and additional Vacation slots to offset the remaining short-term overage.

Voluntary Option Awards will be posted to the Flight Service Web site on Thursday, January 29. If you were awarded an overage leave, you’ll see it in your HI10 by the end of the day Friday, January 30th.

Let me say how grateful I am that so many flight attendants were in a position to consider a voluntary option and that we are able to avoid having to involuntarily furlough anyone. As we continue to operate in this very challenging economic environment, there will likely be future hurdles to overcome in order to ensure our long-term success. I’d like to extend my thanks to each of you for the huge role you play in our success and for providing our customers a seamless, outstanding experience.

Special APFA HotLine update for January 28, 2009

Today, January 28, 2009, AA Flight Service announced that there were sufficient Flight Attendants proffering one of the voluntary offers that, as a result, any potential furloughs from this projected headcount overage have been avoided.

According to the release by Lauri Curtis, the company “fell slightly short of [the] near-term headcount targets, [but] will be offering monthly Bid Leaves and additional Vacation slots to offset the remaining short-term overage.

“Voluntary Option Awards will be posted to the Flight Service Web site on Thursday, January 29. If you were awarded an overage leave, you’ll see it in your HI10 by the end of the day Friday, January 30th.â€￾

Additional details on the proffer results will be posted on the APFA website as they are made available.

February:

You have reached the APFA weekly HotLine update for Friday, February 27, 2009. This is Frank Bastien, National Communications Coordinator.

On Wednesday, February 25, American Airlines made official their intent to furlough up to 410 of our most junior members on April 1, 2009, unless that number can be reduced or eliminated through the usual voluntary means available through Article 16 of our contract and/or by those eligible Flight Attendants electing the re-offering of the Travel Separation Program.

Sent: Thu 2/26/09 7:13 AM

Hi DCA...

A somber email to send out this morning. Last night at 1700 AA announced there will be 410 WARN letters sent out to our most junior flight attendants systemwide. This means that it is time again for those who are able to step up, take overage leaves and sign up for Partnership Flying. Choosing either one of these options will SAVE A JOB. There no way to sugar coat it folks...this is very serious. The company apparently underestimated their overage last round and have come back for deeper cuts.

And then they came for more.

Sounds just fine to me. Than maybe we can build a union that works for everyone.
I'll defend Laura Glading. She probally thought, "I can make a difference", then got elected and realized "oh, ####, this is hopeless"

"i give up"

Brett Durkin, on the other hand, served previous terms. He probally likes the $$$ and doesn't want to fly.

The new contract will either be successful and our elected representatives will be heroes.

Or, it will be a dissappointment and our "elected" will retire, leaving us to start the whole pathetic game over.

January:

February:

And then they came for more.
Webster has the following defintitions:
ABSORB: assume, bear <the expenses were absorbed by the company
OFFSET:something that serves to counterbalance or to compensate for something else

In your posts the company never mentions absorbing, they specifically say offset. I stand by my assertion that this is something completely new.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily trust the company, but in this case they are playing their cards. They are offering those on the line a carrot, we are down to the wire in negotiations and flight attendants have a short memory. It is sad but true.

I also don't necessarily believe the APFA will do what is best for all it's membership, but given the alternative, I will support them as I trust them above the company and the courts. I think in any form of government or politics, which unions are, you have to remember, the needs of the many will out weigh the needs of the few.

False false false.... You have made that up , they never said they would absorb an overage before. Stop fueling the fire with false statements. It continues to show your true bitter colors.... not good...
In my opinon, Now that AA has furloughed the highest paid employees at the bottom of the senority list, we will not see anymore furloughs. Sad but thats the way AA does business and these decisions necessary.

I also don't necessarily believe the APFA will do what is best for all it's membership, but given the alternative, I will support them as I trust them above the company and the courts. I think in any form of government or politics, which unions are, you have to remember, the needs of the many will out weigh the needs of the few. (quote)

Core union values dictate that the PRIMARY job of a union is to preserve jobs. Employment and contract enhancements follow. I understand at aMErican this not the APFAs "culture". Harm to one is definitely harm to all.

I also don't necessarily believe the APFA will do what is best for all it's membership, but given the alternative, I will support them as I trust them above the company and the courts. I think in any form of government or politics, which unions are, you have to remember, the needs of the many will out weigh the needs of the few. (quote)

Core union values dictate that the PRIMARY job of a union is to preserve jobs. Employment and contract enhancements follow. I understand at aMErican this not the APFAs "culture". Harm to one is definitely harm to all.
Nancy, you are dead wrong. Unions were started because of working conditions, they were NEVER intended to keep people on payroll. In fact...here is the derinition of labor unions, just call me Webster. In fact a search on Google consistantly states the following definition in longer or shorter forms as the purpose of labor unions.

Labor Union
An organization of wage earners formed for the purpose of serving the members' interests with respect to wages and working conditions.

As much as you would like to redefine what a union is, ultimately it's purpose is to protect the quality and not to exploit the workers, not to keep workers and bleed the company.

Nancy, you are dead wrong. Unions were started because of working conditions, they were NEVER intended to keep people on payroll. In fact...here is the derinition of labor unions, just call me Webster. In fact a search on Google consistantly states the following definition in longer or shorter forms as the purpose of labor unions.

Labor Union
An organization of wage earners formed for the purpose of serving the members' interests with respect to wages and working conditions.

As much as you would like to redefine what a union is, ultimately it's purpose is to protect the quality and not to exploit the workers, not to keep workers and bleed the company.

Not what I learned in any of the labor courses I took.. Working conditions include job security. Seasonal service falls under that criteria. We will (as usual) have to agree to disagree.

Latest posts