$1 Bln More In '04 Fuel

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
CHICAGO, Aug 26 (Reuters) - American Airlines expects soaring jet fuel prices to push its expenses up more than $1 billion in 2004 from last year's level, parent AMR Corp. (NYSE:AMR - News) said on Thursday.
"As a result of the soaring fuel prices, our outlook for the third quarter and the rest of the year has worsened," the Fort Worth, Texas-based airline said in a regulatory filing.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040826/airlines_amr_1.html

You thought I would let a perfect opportunity fly by?

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and ask you, when the airline is touting rising costs at the same time it's touting decreasing unit revenue, where do you think they will make it up? Fare sales certainly aren't going to cut it. Seats are full of 99 dollar butts. What's left?

Or would you rather continue to just chastise other's opinions any time they don't jibe with yours?

I would suggest to you that AA is going to try to ride out the storm with the idea that U, UAL, Delta, and ATA or some comibination of that group will be gone or much smaller by spring '05. At that point, some pricing pressure will return to the market.

I also believe, that AA realizes that you can't continue to ask for pay cuts, what AA will do is continue to look for productivity improvements to limit costs. Face it, they're just not as dumb as you want to believe.

Oneflyer, your right. Pricing "pressure" will increase-ticket prices will be going down even further! If you think one or more airlines will disappear, you're fooling yourself. Even if USAIR does go away,Southwest will still be there to pick up the slack. United will probably flush it's pensions and it will still be here next year selling seats at a loss just to generate revenue. Delta will also still be here doing the same thing. This is one industry that should not have been "deregulated"!

This is one industry that should not have been "deregulated"!

Why not? so you could continue to be overpaid and underworked. Deregulation has worked incredibly well for everyone except airline unions.

Guess what pal? Neither do you!

Yeah, I actually do. I'm not some fifty something flight attendant that has no concept of economics that runs around spouting about AA screws her/him by actually making her/him work 80 hours a month, instead of just letting you sit and scoul at customers all day. There is a reason AA is constantly rated the worst in in-flight experience among all the airline, its because F/A like you!

Lazy, disgruntled, and ignorant is no way to go through life.

The Company will not have to ask the TWU for concessions. The TWU will willingly offer them. You can count on CHICKEN Little to lead the drive. :p

Oneflyer, when was the last time you crawled into a fuel tank,that still has some residual fuel (explosive mixture)in it, to fix a fuel quantity indication problem? When was the last time you did a complete engine change in 4-8 hrs,depending on the airplane type, including run up and trimming on the ORD ramp in winter time? When was the last time you went "fishing" for a wedding ring in the Lav system of an airliner? These are just a few examples of the jobs that AMT's do everyday. So, don't come on this board and spew your anti-union crap at me or the mechanics edited.!