2021 Earnings/Loses

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
As we begin a new year I know it's a bit early for Q reports but some encouraging news out of the Southwest camp. Feb had a bump in the passengers numbers and a decrease in the anticipated cash burn being 2 million less expected with March also looking better. Not really celebrating anything but it is encouraging news of the upticks starting earlier than expected.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/southwest-airlines-expects-slower-cash-144031129.html

Reactions: SharoninSAT
As we begin a new year I know it's a bit early for Q reports but some encouraging news out of the Southwest camp. Feb had a bump in the passengers numbers and a decrease in the anticipated cash burn being 2 million less expected with March also looking better. Not really celebrating anything but it is encouraging news of the upticks starting earlier than expected.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/southwest-airlines-expects-slower-cash-144031129.html
The president holiday id imagine helped out.

Well, it's going better than predicted for SWA. Can't believe we just posted a $116 million profit. I was shocked. Was expecting maybe half the loss we had in 1Q 2020.
Couple articles below with CEO saying still getting better and better each week and each month as we go. Also hearing that all that prepping (adding flights, routes and aircraft during pandemic) was well worth it, as he says we are now better suited than prior to pandemic as far as market share goes. Now I hope we can focus on keeping that trend going strong...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-airline-bailout-helps-southwest-121101054.html

Take note of his change in body language and demeaner:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...uphoric-about-airline-recovery-191342217.html

Well, there goes the positive outlook given a month ago for SWA as far as the rest of 2021 being profitable the rest of the year. 3rd Q already taking a hit from the Delta variant increasing. Maybe we will get another round of leaves offered to us? :)

Maybe it's time for a quick "wanna-get-away" fare sale to get some more folks back into the planes for summer travel to help with the 3Q earnings. Some last minute fare sales may help rather than flying those seats empty, better to try and break even than a loss IMO...

Nothing will ever be the same as it was before March of 2020. Air travel is no exception. If and when the pandemic ends once and for all, business travel will forever be changed and in some respects international travel will never fully recover. For now, the travel industry will be one of the most volital entities. Fortunately WN will be the least impacted of the airlines due to its' customer base and unmatched customer service, not to mention they've never had to rely on premium seats nor international routes to make a profit.

Maybe a new look at hauling more cargo might be in order. At one time Southwest was looking at hauling cargo over night and even was thinking of using quickly converted pallets with a set number of seats attached for quick conversions into cargo haulers. If there would be $$$ to be made in this ever changing "Amazon" ordering world now, SWA would surely take advantage. Maybe even converting some older aircraft into full time night time haulers, like UPS and FedEx does. Could call it "Cargo by Southwest" :)

Maybe a new look at hauling more cargo might be in order. At one time Southwest was looking at hauling cargo over night and even was thinking of using quickly converted pallets with a set number of seats attached for quick conversions into cargo haulers. If there would be $$$ to be made in this ever changing "Amazon" ordering world now, SWA would surely take advantage. Maybe even converting some older aircraft into full time night time haulers, like UPS and FedEx does. Could call it "Cargo by Southwest" :)
LUV Cargo

Been awhile, but glad we still made a profit and not reporting a loss.
Hoping to get out from under all this Covid crap soon. I am beyond tired of hearing about it day in and day out.
At least we made this profit on GK's exit from the helm and hopefully BJ will continue the success of SWA...

Been awhile, but glad we still made a profit and not reporting a loss.
Hoping to get out from under all this Covid crap soon. I am beyond tired of hearing about it day in and day out.
At least we made this profit on GK's exit from the helm and hopefully BJ will continue the success of SWA...

swamt.

You're tired 'hearing about this daily Covid CRAP' ??

Well then. Tell all your F up friends (and mine), to get vaccinated !

Vaccinated, meaning ALL 3 SHOTS. There IS NO OTHER WAY !!

IT IS QUITE THAT SIMPLE !!

I would NOT support alcohol sales back onto the aircraft. IMO, it's just gonna add more and more headaches for our crew members with the largest burden put onto our F/A's the most. I know alcohol sales are extremely profitable, but it is really worth it to risk the safety of our F/A's and crew members as well as all the other passengers. Nobody wants a drunk or impaired person to deal with in the event of an emergency evacuation or any other type of issue that may arise.
SWA think long and hard about leaving the alcohol off of aircraft. Not worth the troubles that come with them...

And here's a little more on our final Q2021 and a brief look into Jan and Feb of 22;

I would NOT support alcohol sales back onto the aircraft. IMO, it's just gonna add more and more headaches for our crew members with the largest burden put onto our F/A's the most. I know alcohol sales are extremely profitable, but it is really worth it to risk the safety of our F/A's and crew members as well as all the other passengers. Nobody wants a drunk or impaired person to deal with in the event of an emergency evacuation or any other type of issue that may arise.
SWA think long and hard about leaving the alcohol off of aircraft. Not worth the troubles that come with them...

And here's a little more on our final Q2021 and a brief look into Jan and Feb of 22;

Oh boy, sounds like it's final Sharon, and it sux if true, alcohol sales are coming back this month, here come the increase in confrontations and unruly passengers getting out of control as well as the increased charges on passengers with fines, arrest and jail time.