460 jets ordered

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMR-Corporation-Announces-prnews-3494254702.html?x=0&.v=1

American flying Airbus jets! You have to me kidding me. It is bad enough seeing Delta's name gracing Airbus planes. This is another time when we miss another American maker of airliners. McDonnell Douglas we miss you!

As the largest order in aviation history, it is doubtful that any manufacturer could have met AA's needs... combined with the financial assistance that Airbus is offering. Combined with the financial situation AA is in, and the only way this deal is being done is because Airbus wants a piece of AA's business and Boeing has no choice but to do things for AA they probably wouldn't otherwise do - or if they start doing it for AA, they will be forced to do it for other airilnes or lose their business.
This agreement does not involve any aircraft from any of the smaller manufacturers - Embraer, Bombardier, or others... a major order for 100-140 seat jets to mfrs other than Airbus or Boeing could change the way A and B have to compete and price their products.
Get over the Airbus-Boeing rivalry.... airlines around the world - including in Europe - have bought Boeings for decades and Boeing still dominates the large/long-haul segment when it comes to aircraft in service and value of order book.
What is interesting is that Boeing still has a sizeable portion of this order and that Boeing realized they need to come up with a reengined 737 - even though Boeing hasn't announced it, AA expects to be the launch customer. If Boeing moves ahead w/ a full 737 replacement, they could win after all- not giving up huge parts of the current 737s and offering a superior aircraft in the long run. Competition is good for everyone.
This will go a long ways to helping reduce AA's fuel costs but it still is no assurance that other airlines can't do the same thing and reduce their non-labor operational costs as well.
It will be interesting to see if the AA order kicks off an orders race by US manufacturers.

American flying Airbus jets! You have to me kidding me. It is bad enough seeing Delta's name gracing Airbus planes. This is another time when we miss another American maker of airliners. McDonnell Douglas we miss you!

Where have you been?
American flew 35 A300's for over 20 years.

American said the two types of new planes will replace its aging MD-80, 757 and 767 fleet as well as its newer 737-800 fleet

Don't look good for TAESEL since RR engines will be phased out with the replacement of the 757. Do they offer us a job with Rolls or do they bring in their own people?

American said the two types of new planes will replace its aging MD-80, 757 and 767 fleet as well as its newer 737-800 fleet

Don't look good for TAESEL since RR engines will be phased out with the replacement of the 757. Do they offer us a job with Rolls or do they bring in their own people?

Let me see?

Are you a dues payer? No problem brother.....the TWU has got your back.

Let me see?

Are you a dues payer? No problem brother.....the TWU has got your back.
That's right! They will have openings in Vegas as blackjack dealers! What base is the twu going to sell out in 5 or less years? And by the way, it won't matter what union is on the property, their will be less red tape with the twu though.

"The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" Otter

Not too far off.

The Japan bombing of Pearl Harbor pushed the US into a war than we didn't want. Japan's actions also pushed Germany fast-forward into a fight they wished more time for. Anyway, regarding this latest deal with Airbus vs Boeing, it's all the same
when you look under the " hood" . There are just as many foreign parts in Boeing as there in Airbus. Maybe the big ticket items are made up north, but the rest come from the far east.

Germany will soon control all of Europe, sound familiar ?

The Euro is breathing it's last breath, only Germany can save Europe from financial distruction.
Me thinks, it's a good a good idea, not to piss them off, right now.

So it's a good deal.

I suspect AA is hedging their bets as neither of the next gen engines is a sure thing, and if they run into problems/delays, AA will always have the ability to cancel orders.

I suspect AA is hedging their bets as neither of the next gen engines is a sure thing, and if they run into problems/delays, AA will always have the ability to cancel orders.
Even current generation 737s or 320s provide AA the opportuinty to reduce costs better than continuing to burn fuel at current levels. It is doubtful that AA would cancel these orders - though it is likely they have the right to do so - but it might result in price reductions/order credits if A or B fail to deliver as promised. As long as AA can get financing - which they apparently can, there is no reason not to move forward with even current level technology..... all AA needs to make sure that doesn't happen is that they end up w/ a brand new fleet of current gen aircraft when a later generational ultimately does come out - as Boeing could do. There appears to be enough flexibility in the AA orders that this will not happen.

I would think AA would want this deal to mature as they have everything to gain. Newer fuel efficient planes requiring less maintenance and an aging workforce ready to retire soon. Win/win for AA and a huge loss of dues revenue for the TWU.

You had made reference to a design from Rolls - I looked the term up you'd used as I wasn't familiar with it and it turned out to be a "one-chunk" rotor and blades design. Damage one blade and pull the entire spool - not so with the Pratt motor which is running and being tested with supposedly excellent results. A planetary reduction unit as opposed to a low pressure turbine and long shaft would cut much weight, shorten the engine, and probably allow (as claimed) more power to be extracted from the engine but I can't see how the speed of spool-up would be helped - rather, it would gain Rs rather slowly, it seems, as the compressor spool would be driving the reduction gears and N1.

Not much technical info is available anywhere I've looked so I'm guessing a bit as to the Pratt's operation.

757 Replacement?

Rumor is that 10-15 757's are being farmed out to help with the yields....

Back