9/11 approaches, embassies to close in the Arab World due to terror threat

One other point. I have not found a national Republican candidate (in any of the states in which I have lived in the last 10 years) for whom I was willing to cast my ballot.

I have voted for many Republicans in local and State House/Senate races.

I would vote for a Susan Collins, Jeff Flake, Sam Nunn (I did vote for him), Jim Webb. I think you get it. Blue Dog Democrats and moderate Republicans are where most of the country are ideologically. Of course those people are not on Internet chat boards discussing politics much ;)

Hey, wait a minute, as a way to secure votes from the dumbest of dumb Americans, less than a year ago President Obama told us that "Al Qaeda was dead and Detroit was alive"

Let's see, Detroit is bankrupt
Al Qaeda plans global attacks against Americans

Hopefully none of this will interfere with his vacation plans.
I hear he's planning on clearing some brush in Kona. A war didn't seem to matter so long as brush clearing was on the agenda.

It looks like they don't want a repeat of the failures that led to the Benghazi attack which Hillary described as spontaneous.

Terror Threat Prompts U.S. to Close Diplomatic Missions
By MARK MAZZETTI
Published: August 1, 2013

A terrorism threat has prompted the United States to close dozens of American diplomatic missions in the Middle East, North Africa and elsewhere through the weekend, American officials said Thursday.

Officials gave few details about what prompted the move to close an unusually large number of American missions, but said there was “credible” information that an Al Qaeda regional affiliate might be plotting an attack sometime in the coming days.

“It’s not often that we close a bunch of embassies at once,” said one official, adding that the threat was being taken particularly seriously by American intelligence agencies.

The official said that the State Department was planning to have nearly all American diplomatic facilities in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia closed through the weekend, including missions in Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. In much of the Muslim world, diplomatic facilities are generally closed on Friday and Saturday, but open on Sunday.

A State Department spokeswoman, Marie Harf, told reporters on Thursday that the decision was taken “out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting our installations.” The State Department did not announce on Thursday which terror group might be plotting an attack, but American officials indicated that the threat originated from one of Al Qaeda’s regional affiliates.

To date, the only Al Qaeda affiliate that has shown both a desire and an ability to attack American facilities overseas is Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, a group based in Yemen.

In a meeting at the White House on Thursday, President Obama met with Yemen’s president, Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi. American and Yemeni officials said that counterterrorism operations in Yemen were among the main topics of the meeting.

American drones have carried out three separate strikes in Yemen, over the past week according to Long War Journal, a Web site that tracks drone strikes. There have been 15 American drone strikes in Yemen this year, according to the site.

The closings come toward the end of the Ramadan holidays and the approaching one-year anniversary of the terror attack on Sept. 11, 2012, on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.

“This seems to be a late-Ramadan threat,” one senior American diplomat said. “We don’t have information on the specific details.”

Well "Snap, it looks like the Prez...isn't taking any chances, and is acting on good Intel.
Imagine if DUMBO / Dirty DICK, and Condi had acted on thier good intel. in 2001 !!!!!!!!!!

You probably did. After all, you and 6 other people get their news from MSNBC.
I don't have cable so I don't watch it. Never watched it when I did have cable. But I do need to point out that people who get their news from MSNBC are no less informed of the facts than people who get their news from Fox.

I don't have cable so I don't watch it. Never watched it when I did have cable. But I do need to point out that people who get their news from MSNBC are no less informed of the facts than people who get their news from Fox.
And I need to point out that you wouldn't know would you?

Well "Snap, it looks like the Prez...isn't taking any chances, and is acting on good Intel.
Imagine if DUMBO / Dirty DICK, and Condi had acted on thier good intel. in 2001 !!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there intel is so good, they closed 22 facilities...

IF the intel was good,

1) They would know which one was going to be attacked
2) They'd be prepared to take out the ******'s who tried to attack it

Closing the embassies like this might be seen as prudent, or it might look like we're a nation of cowards who run away at the first signs of danger.

Yes, indeed -- Detroit is now dead, and Al Qaeda is apparently alive.

If they did nothing and an embassy was attacked, you would be the first one here starting another thread calling out the failure to heed the intel.

Reactions: 3 people

I've not been a big Cheney fan starting with him being hired to select a VP and he selected Cheney. Benghazi is a major problem for this administration and they don't want to see a repeat. Not because of great concern for the embassies rather concern for the administration in power.

If they did nothing and an embassy was attacked, you would be the first one here starting another thread calling out the failure to heed the intel.

Fact is they've done nothing in the past 11 months. How hard is it to put a decent contingent of Marines into each these places? That would at least project some power.

Instead, we continue to see local security contracted out to the same kind of guys who conveniently weren't there on 9/11/12, and now there's a precedent being set where the local terror cell can force the embassy to close up shop at the first whiffs of trouble.

And people wonder why Putin gave Snowden asylum?...

Obama says the terrorists are on the run. Recent news would suggest the US is on the run when radical Islam starts to chatter.