A Take of Two CEO's

We paid for the right to be US instead of AL. They made a big deal of it at the time.

Wasn't there some three way switch with MAC (Military Airlift Command) which had the "US" code and whoever had "MC"?

I think the company got the "USA" ICAO designator at the same time. (Not that is has it now.)

<Sorry for the topic drift, all.>

In the June CLT Pilot Crew News, Parker says that he read "From Worst to First."

Well he may have read it, but apparently nothing sank in. Parker has created the exact mess Gordon found CO in when he took over. The similarities are so striking you could just change the names and it would be 100% accurate today.

Gordon's methods and the changes he made at CO could work wonders at US if applied today, but to do that you'd need to have someone brave enough to square off against those who can only see what's on a spreadsheet.

I am reading the book again now and it is just amazing how the story parallels what's happening now at US (the PRE Gordon CO)....

Reactions: 2 people
Well he may have read it, but apparently nothing sank in. Parker has created the exact mess Gordon found CO in when he took over. The similarities are so striking you could just change the names and it would be 100% accurate today.

And that, my friend, is just why I brought him up, and what could have been.

Now all US needs someone just as good. And Doug Parker --- while a great "numbers guy" (and wonderful potential CFO) just aint it, IMHO.

Wasn't there some three way switch with MAC (Military Airlift Command) which had the "US" code and whoever had "MC"?

I think the company got the "USA" ICAO designator at the same time. (Not that is has it now.)

<Sorry for the topic drift, all.>
Northwest, MAC and US were all involved in the exchange, to this day some former NW have a US at the end of the N number.

Northwest, MAC and US were all involved in the exchange, to this day some former NW have a US at the end of the N number.

Not to pick nits, 700, but N number letters are not associated with IATA designators. Yes, NW started using the US suffix to N numbers at some point. Supposedly to show a bit of flag waiving, I've read somewhere.

A little Googiling revealed that MC was the IATA code for Muse Air (which later became TransStar). After the carrier went under, the MC code became available for MAC, freeing the US code for USAir.

Now back to our subject. Which was why is Gordon Bethune seemingly more popular than the likes of Doug Parker and Glenn Tilton?

The problem of bean counters making bad CEO's is not limited to the airline industry, I see it in many industries. If you don't pick your head up and think outside the cell once in a while, you will lose touch with what is really going on.

Oh and by cell I mean the kind on spread sheets...

Reactions: 2 people
The problem of bean counters making bad CEO's is not limited to the airline industry, I see it in many industries. If you don't pick your head up and think outside the cell once in a while, you will lose touch with what is really going on.

Oh and by cell I mean the kind on spread sheets...

Or talk to the people who do the work, instead of making decisions in a vacuum.

Reactions: 1 person
An update from Gordon Bethune's FB page (and small sampling of comments)

Gordon Bethune
Today is the first day since 1937 that there are no Continental Airline airplanes operating anywhere in the world. Thousands of ex cons are saddened by the loss of a great brand that brought pride to so many of us. Unlike other airlines who disappeared, CO was the only one who went out "On Top". Most admired global airline, more JD Power awards than any airline ever...you name it, CO won it......every customer satisfaction award, 100 best places to work in America for six straight years. It's like a college diploma, it's our accomplishment and it's in the record books. We can all go do other things but we will always be tied by our joint accomplishment....making CO the best airline there ever was. My thanks to all of you who went the extra mile to put us on the map. No one could have done it better than you. gb
Unlike · · Share · 5 hours ago near Houston, TX ·

You, xxxxx and 994 others like this.
226 shares
50 of 297

Jorge Castano You always knew how to rally the troops. You made those years unforgettable, that story was the reason I wanted to work here and still is, live on Continental, if only in our hearts.
about an hour ago · Like · 1

Reese Laneta We will always be Continental in our hearts, but thank you Gordon for thanking all of us! It's been a pleasure!!
about an hour ago · Like

Frank Gaona Thank you Gordon, it was a great ride for 15 years. Continental will always be in my heart.
about an hour ago · Like

Loida Doctor-West Will ALWAYS be CONTINENTAL "AIR MICRONESIA" in my heart! Thanks for the memories, CONTINENTAL! It's been a GREAT run!
about an hour ago · Like

Patti Chavez As an "ex-con" I thank you for the opportunity to have been part of this history because we all know how this story would have ended if you did not do the things you did!!
about an hour ago · Like

Celia Regina Maluf Dear Gordon, I spoke about you today so many times. I told many of my students and clients what your genius made to bring CO from worst to first!
about an hour ago · Like

Jeffrey Allan Pittman Hess And you are the one who will be remember by history as the man who made it what it was!
about an hour ago · Like

So long, CO!

If the same were true of US Airways, half the employees would be lining up to whizz on Doug Parker's metaphorical grave. A Stark stark contrast that points out in bold relief the difference between a Leader and a Manager

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts