A330-200''s for US Airways

That makes 10

647 is in MHV, with rumors abound that it will come back because 645(Hospital Plane) is going to military once again.

This is great news, I was hoping for it. The A330s are extremely popular with our customers and this will allow us to have a standardized transatlantic product with an aircraft more suited to our needs. I would think the 757s are the next to go, leaving 737s as the only Boeings as U moves to an all Airbus fleet. This is definatly cost effective in the long run, and goes a long way towards offering a consistent product.

Companies holding leases on the 29 A320s and A319s include Philip Morris Capital Corp., Finova Capital Corp., and John Hancock Leasing Corp.

Chip

I would imagine the 757s will be around for a while... I think there may be some caribbean routes that cannot be served by 319/320 and don't have enough traffic to warrant a 767... such as SXM.. Can anyone confirm?

Did everyone forget about the STAR ALLIANCE? Why would usair increase int'l flying? They will more than likely dump the 767's.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 1:21:11 PM chipmunn wrote:

What I would like to know is how can the company afford to buy/lease extremely expensive widebody airplanes, but not be able to fund the pilots retirement plan?

Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]

If I understand the various threads on that topic correctly they have to fix the pension problem now and the money simply doesn't exist.

They won't be spending money on the planes until post chapter-11 and when they do they aren't going to pay it as a lump sum (as they would apparently have to do to fund the pension.)

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 7:59:26 PM Biffeman wrote:

The company plans on reconfiguring the 757s starting in August, to 8/193, to run on high density, low-yield routes, such as PHX, LAS and Florida.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Are they planning on doing this with ALL the 757's or just a few? I would think they would keep a percentage in the standard configuration to back up the A321 when needed.

Regarding the A330-200, it seems like a better choice than the 767--more cargo capacity, more passenger capacity, the new interiors, and I would imagine they wouldn't cost that much more than the disadvantageous costs associated with the 767's. Perhaps they would make money on transcons or, God willing, East Coast-Hawaii???
I do believe the range is equal to or better than the 767-200ER also.

I can dream can't I????

I continue to support all my friends at US and wish you all the best. Thank you for what YOU do.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 7:22:29 PM cat 111 wrote:

Did everyone forget about the STAR ALLIANCE? Why would usair increase int'l flying? They will more than likely dump the 767's.
----------------
[/blockquote]

They make NO money when a passenger flies a code share.

Instead of assuming that all flights to a destination currently served by UA or some * partner will be flown by that airline why not think outside the box and consider the benefits of opening U's east coast markets to customers who want to reach them? Having alliance partners marketing a code share on U metal is a much, much better thing than diverting US Airways customers to some other airline.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 9:04:07 PM Biffeman wrote:

all the 757s will be done, and the A321s will fly the transcon routes.
----------------
[/blockquote]
That is not the plan for the forseeable future we will keep the remaining 757's.

To all you 757 bashers,I wish we had 100 more of them.They are the 727 of their era.Incredibilly reliable once you learn all their quirks,as we have.

Assuming the company remains a going concern, this, as has been said, standardizes the long haul fleet. The 330 is a great plane, but not a huge seller. Example:when Sabena bellied up, a couple of its 330's ended up with Air Tahiti Nui, not exactly a household word in aviation. Airbus is only too happy to arrange convenient terms. The 767's are long in the tooth, and the company has very distant relations with Boeing, following the manufacturer's unseemly comments a while back, suggesting it was the crew that crashed the 737 in PIT (a statement which handily ignored the numerous instances of uncommanded roll events incurred by the type). JetBlue (320's) and AirTran (717's) are both demonstrating how you generate profits when so much of your aircraft maintenance is handled under warranty.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 10:38:43 PM deelmakur wrote:

....The 330 is a great plane, but not a huge seller. [/blockquote]

Thats a daft comment to make. According to the Airbus website, 419 A330's have been ordered to date. For a widebody - that's a pretty impressive figure.

Latest posts