AA 1585, MCO-DFW, Diverted

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
It's was on the 10pm news last night and the news this morning, but nothing on the Internet...

AA flight 1585, MCO-DFW, diverted to IAH last night after female passenger attempted to open a door in flight. Report on TV says she kept screaming that she wanted to die.

This is all I've been able to find out. Anyone know anymore about this?

An American Airlines flight from Orlando, Fla., to Dallas-Fort Worth was diverted to Houston on Saturday night after a passenger tried to open an emergency door.

The passenger was unable to open the door and no one was injured.

The passenger, a woman, was detained by local authorities in Houston, said Charley Wilson, a spokesman for Fort Worth-based American.

Flight 1585, carrying 176 passengers and six crew members, was diverted to Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport after the woman attempted to open an emergency door over one of the wings. She was subdued by the flight crew, Wilson said.

"The crew handled everything. There was no issue with safety whatsoever," Wilson said.

Passengers and crew members were interviewed in Houston. Six passengers got off the plane, since Houston was their destination, and the rest continued to Dallas-Fort Worth on the same plane.

story here

An American Airlines flight from Orlando, Fla., to Dallas-Fort Worth was diverted to Houston on Saturday night after a passenger tried to open an emergency door.

impossible to do
<_<

impossible to do
<_<
Maybe at altitude, but it could still cause quite a problem. A few years back a child on a TWA L1011 apparently pulled the plastic cover off and pulled the T-handle, which is how the door is opened in an emergency on the ground. No one noticed, and on approach to JFK the door partially opened when the pressure differential was low enough, and the slide inflated outside the aircraft. It was the L2 door, IIRC. I don't recall if the door finally opened all the way, but I'm sure it got everyone's attention. The plane continued to a safe but memorable landing.

MK