AA ramp supervisor died from fall at MIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Update to the original article in the Miami Herald:

An American Airlines employee fell to his death in the predawn hours Tuesday while working on a lift at Miami International Airport.

Thomas Jukovich, a 43-year-old customer service manager, was working outside on a lift at Gate E-10, according to airport officials.

Hard rain and thunder persisted throughout the night as he worked outside. Airport employees said the Hallandale Beach man supervised several gates, including one that was assigned to American Airlines Flight 995.

The red-eye flight to Sao Paolo, Brazil, was to leave at 11:30 p.m., but it was delayed. The plane was still on the rain drenched tarmac two hours later when the manager jumped onto a baggage loader, employees said.

For yet-unknown reasons, about 1:50 a.m. Jukovich fell from the lift, which can go as high as 25 to 30 feet. He suffered fatal injuries, according to Miami-Dade fire rescue spokesman Lt. Eddy Ballester.

I feel sorry to hear of yet another death in the workplace. It appears, according to the article, there was inclimate weather involved. I am curious if this manager's shoes were appropriate for the type of work he was doing. Most managers wear penny loafers, or some similar type of shoe that is not cooperative with the tarmac or poor weather conditions. I have seen employees sent home for not wearing "sturdy" shoes. Can someone with some insight shed some light on this.

Perhaps, if that contributed to his death, it could prevent any future accidents.

Looks like MIA is having some bad luck these days,

On Monday an AA Cabin Service High-lift flipped over while parked on a 767 on remote. The cleaning crew was on board the plane and no aircraft damage was reported. Officials say that High winds and rain, produced whats called a micro-burst, which can produce wind busrt of up to 120mph, caused the turck to flip on its side.....

Have a great pic of the truck on its side, will try to post later.....

Be safe out there.......

The transportation sector is the second most dangerous place to work, construction being the first. Still, even in construction, work stops when the rain begins.

On the ramp, the Ramp Gladiators fight time, by offloading and loading bags, freight and mail as quickly as possible. Sometimes corners are cut, all to make the flight times.

No one wants a delay.

Loss, broken limbs and yes even loss of life are more acceptable these days.

In snow, rain, and ice they work, not even the US Post Office delivers anymore, when the weather gets foul.

It's dirty, sweaty, back-breaking and no rewards work, and did I mention dangerous work.

This is no place for the cubicle culture.

YUP, Barfbag is right, it's a Dangerous place to work !
Looking back now, I realize it was so, more and more.

Take my personal situation for example;

After numerous BACK INJURY's over 20 years( Which I.. A L W A Y S. DOCUMENTED, just as AA demanded that I, and everyone else do)(AA is "Scared Stiff"" about WORK COMP claims, in "Worker Friendly" states !!), I suffered Another BACK INJURY in "03", which put me out for good, sent me into EARLY RETIREMENT/ With pension,... Social Security DISABILITY $$,... Medicare,...LTD $$$,.... and a steady work comp (tax free) twice monthly Check,($1,200), for 6 YEARS, which finally culminated(SP?) with a Check for $150,000.00 !

Yup, Barfbag is correct. It's a very dangerous place to work(at AA) !

Godspeed to him and his family...

The crew had walked off the gate to go to lunch' in the meantime the capatin or whomever needed some paperwork that was attached to one of the cargo pallets that was already loaded on the plane. The CSM took it upon himself to climb the loader and try and find the paperwork himself.

Gee, looks like it wasn't a scope violation at all...

Dave Richards.... he's been working as CSM for about 20 years, and I'm not at all surprised to hear he's still pushing a pallet once in a while. But I suspect he's also earned the respect of the guys he's helping, and see him pitching in for what it is, instead of a threat.

Tom was my Son. My name is Karen Daniel. I miss him SO much day after day. If anyone out there has any information that they feel would be of interest, or helpful in any way. please post your response.

Thank you.

An American Airlines employee fell to his death in the predawn hours Tuesday while working on a lift at Miami International Airport.

Thomas Jukovich, a 43-year-old customer service manager, was working outside on a lift at Gate E-10, according to airport officials.

Hard rain and thunder persisted throughout the night as he worked outside. Airport employees said the Hallandale Beach man supervised several gates, including one that was assigned to American Airlines Flight 995.

The red-eye flight to Sao Paolo, Brazil, was to leave at 11:30 p.m., but it was delayed. The plane was still on the rain drenched tarmac two hours later when the manager jumped onto a baggage loader, employees said.

For yet-unknown reasons, about 1:50 a.m. Jukovich fell from the lift, which can go as high as 25 to 30 feet. He suffered fatal injuries, according to Miami-Dade fire rescue spokesman Lt. Eddy Ballester.

Status
Not open for further replies.