Eze-dfw

Pardon me while I try and act surprised and appalled. AA management, union management … all the same garbage. They look out for them selves. I feel fortunate that at least I only get hosed by AA management and don’t have to worry about paying a union to smack me around after AA has taken their pound of flesh.

I would not hold your breath for any type of substantive response.

So APFA makes mention of the incident on last friday's hotline, but doesn't confirm or deny the situation. Although, it sounded like something DID happen. Wonder how long this fiasco will last. Anyone on here with accurate, reliable info from AA or APFA people?

From the APFA Hotline for Friday, June 17th...

"In rumor control this week, there was an overwhelming interest in an
alleged incident on board an aircraft reportedly involving a Union
Representative. These rumors have caused an interest so great that I
found myself wondering how we could generate the same amount of
interest in the real issues that impact our futures as Flight
Attendants like Pension Reform, lobbying Congress on fatigue and
record-high fuel prices.

For those of you with an interest in the "facts" of this particular
situation, as with all Flight Attendant issues that come to the
attention of the Company and APFA, they are required to remain
confidential and should not be reported in detail to the membership.
As the APFA Constitution states in Article II,3,C, "All members of
the APFA shall have the right to individual privacy." Additionally,
every single American Airlines Flight Attendant deserves the same
level of equal representation and confidentiality from their union.

As I mentioned earlier, Professional Standards is the best route to
take when you feel compelled to report an issue. Writing your issue
up to the company has always been an inappropriate way to resolve
issues between our members."

Quelle Surprise! This is their way of saying the union is going to do nothing. Of course, since it was "inappropriately" reported to the company, it may not be over.

jimntx said:
From the APFA Hotline for Friday, June 17th...

"In rumor control this week, there was an overwhelming interest in an
alleged incident on board an aircraft reportedly involving a Union
Representative. These rumors have caused an interest so great that I
found myself wondering how we could generate the same amount of
interest in the real issues that impact our futures as Flight
Attendants like Pension Reform, lobbying Congress on fatigue and
record-high fuel prices.

For those of you with an interest in the "facts" of this particular
situation, as with all Flight Attendant issues that come to the
attention of the Company and APFA, they are required to remain
confidential and should not be reported in detail to the membership.
As the APFA Constitution states in Article II,3,C, "All members of
the APFA shall have the right to individual privacy." Additionally,
every single American Airlines Flight Attendant deserves the same
level of equal representation and confidentiality from their union.

As I mentioned earlier, Professional Standards is the best route to
take when you feel compelled to report an issue. Writing your issue
up to the company has always been an inappropriate way to resolve
issues between our members."

Quelle Surprise! This is their way of saying the union is going to do nothing. Of course, since it was "inappropriately" reported to the company, it may not be over.
[post="278207"][/post]​

I would think the privacy pertains to their private life. When you are on board a aircraft, that privacy ends. If you are involved in a incident I would think that it is in the publics interest to know how their officers and reps are being treated.

More importantly, I disagree with the hotline assertion that f/a misbehavior while non-revving shopuld be reported to the union Professional Standards committee instead of the company.

Non-rev travel is a company-provided benefit. If Cathy Lukensmeyer had been a member of company management or even a lowly crew scheduler or accountant, the union would be beating the drum for writing up the miscreant to the company with a strong push to cancel that person's travel benefits. When f/as misbehave while non-revving, all of sudden it is "inappropriate" to report that person to the company. Instead we should "keep it in-house" in the Professional Standards committee which from what I've seen amounts to not even a slap on the wrist. The Professional Standards committee has no power to sanction anyone or to issue punishment. They just talk to the person who then promises them to go and sin no more. They then go right on doing whatever got them reported in the first place.

When I had been flying only about 9 months, I had a problem with a f/a commuter. I reported her to Professional Standards. They did talk to her; however, I understand she has continued to browbeat working crew if she is not "treated with the proper respect." And, the union still has the position that she should not be reported to the company. Personally, I think if she lost her travel benefits for awhile--she lives a long way from her base--she might re-think her behavior. Actions have consequences (unless you're a flight attendant, then you just have to endure a talking to by the Professional Standards person).

This email was sent to me roughly three times over the last few days..it is the F/A Report that pursers use to report any irregularities or to send comments. It was filed by the purser of this flight upon her return to DFW.

RE: FLT#996, Buenos Aires, Argentina to DFW; May 22, 2005

AA Flight Attendant Report:

Upon boarding, I became aware via another flight attendant that there were two high-ranking employees with the Association of Professional Flight Attendants sitting in 6D and G. At that point, I noticed that the 6D passenger, Cathy Lukensmeye, was unwrapping an amenity kit, and then walked back to coach where two companions were seated.

Once the boarding door was closed, Captain XXXXX made a welcome aboard PA, also announcing the security directive to remain in the cabin in which you are ticketed and no congregating. After takeoff, I also made a welcome aboard PA and restated the security directive to remain in the cabin in which you were ticketed at all times during the flight. After we leveled off, the captain made another PA, giving flight information, and again restated the security directive to remain in the cabin to which you were ticketed.

Approximately 40 minutes after takeoff, during cocktail and beverage service and after the first two rounds of cocktails were served, the call light at 6D illuminated. I left the galley to answer the call light and Ms. Lukensmeye picked up her tumbler and shook it as she stated, “I need a refill.†I responded that the flight attendants were at row 3 and 5 and would be with her shortly. She replied, “They’ve already been here and I need more.†I came back through the galley and informed the flight attendants working the beverage cart on the AB side to check on 6D.

During the first phase of the meal service, table setting, appetizers, and wine were being served. The break basket was empty at about row 4, so I returned to the galley to retrieve more bread. At this time, the fasten seat belt sign came on, so I made the necessary PA. The captain called at that pointed and stated they were looking for a smooth altitude and to be careful until then. I called the main cabin and relayed the information to the flight attendants. The, the call light illuminated at 6D and G, to which Flight Attendant XXX (I believe) responded. They complained that they had not been served bread.

During the salad service, the 6D call light was again illuminated. I responded to the call and Ms. Lukensmeye used her index finger to tap on the top of her wine glass and stated, “I need a refill.†I stated that the flight attendant who would refill her glass was at row 3 and 4 and would be with her shortly. I also asked for their patience, as our cabin was full and we were working as hard and as fast as we could.

The fourth call light at 6D and G illuminated and F.A XXX approached the galley to retrieve the bread basket and informed me that “They need more bread.†I told the flight attendants that I would speak to the passengers in 6D and G after the meal service.

During the meal service, I was informed that the passenger in 6B did not have an amenity kit available to him. We paused meal service to look for the amenity kit for the passenger. At this time, F.A XXX stated, “I understand you were short an amenity kit. I want you to k now that I saw Ms. Lukensmeye walk to coach with two amenity kits before takeoff. The reason I noticed is because she had two. One was unwrapped and the other was wrapped, and I saw her hand the wrapped amenity kit to a friend in coach.â€

During the dessert phase of the meal service, FA XXX informed me that she completed the duty free service in coach. She also stated, “I understand you have having trouble with the passenger in 6D and G. Leslie Mayo is sitting in the main cabin and we have talked to her about the passengers in 6D and G, and that we were having problems with them.†Leslie May said to F.A. XXX and XXX that she wasn't surprised. She also said that their choice of cocktails at night were straight vodka and ice and that they had gone to EZE for a fun trip and some reconstructive surgery on one of them. And that Lukensmeye and Kroyer (6D and G) decided to go with them. Ms. Mayo asked for permission to come to business class to speak wit them about their behavior. As their behavior was interrupting our duties in business class, I gave FA XXX permission to allow Ms. Mayo to enter business class speaking with them and then returned to the coach cabin. I was told later by F. A XXX and XXX that Ms. Mayo told them to cease and desist their behavior immediately.

Approximately ten minutes later after Ms. Mayo left the business cabin Ms. Lukensmeye came to the forward galley with two business cards and a piece of paper with “Jennifer†written in large letter at the top. She threw the business cards on the galley counter and belligerently stated, “Here’s all my information. I insist that Gerard Arpey, Flight Service, and DFW Security meet this flight.†I noticed that one of the business cards stated, “Association of Professional Flight Attendantsâ€, and the other stated “American Airlines Purser.†I noticed that she was holding the wall to steady herself and her speech was slurred. She asked for my last name, and grabbed for my name tag. She missed and grabbed my serving jacket, let go and grabbed again at the name tag. I told her that the seat belt sign was on and to return to her seat and that she could pull up the N.S. on the flight crew and that I was the purser on the flight. She gathered her business cards and returned to her seat.

The call light at 6D and G was illuminated and I answered the call light. I stated, “Ladies, we need to talk. You have rang the call light numerous times on the flight and I want you to stop. We have a long night ahead of us, so sit back and relax, watch a movie.†I reached to retrieve the used dishware and glasses from 6G, and she stated that “I wasn’t through with that.†At this point, as I was aware that they had numerous drinks and refills, and their behavior was increasingly belligerent, I replied, “Well, you are now, because there will be no more liquor served to either of you through the remainder of the flight because I don't want to have to report you to your supervisor.†Ms. Lukensmeye stated, “I don't have a supervisor, I donut answer to anyone. Oh, yeah! I answer to Gerard Arpey, he's my supervisor. I want him to meet the flight. And he will.â€

Ms. Lukensmeye returned to the forward galley, holding the walls wit both hands and states, “I insist that you serve my friend another Courvaisier.†She named all the drinks that her friend had and stated that it wasn’t enough, and I had taken her Courvaisier away from her and she insisted that I give her more. I restated that there would be no more liquor served and to please return to her seat.

Approximately ten minutes later, Ms. Kroyer approaches the galley and opens the galley curtain, continues to hand on the curtain and used her other hand to steady herself on the wall, and she sees F.A XXX’s ice tea glass sitting on the counter and states, “Oh, so I see you are enjoying all my Courvaisier, no wonder I cant get any.†F.A XXX stated, “The seat belt sign is on, please return to your seat and fasten your seatbelt.†Ms. Koyer stated, “I want a Courvaisier. She took my Courvaisier.†F.A. XXX stated that she would serve her a coffee, water, soda, or other non-alcoholic beverage. Ms. Kroyer pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and demanded F.A’s name. I stated that Ms. Kroyer could get crew member's full names by pulling up an N.S at DFW. Ms. Koyer states that she doesn't know to pull up the N.S. because she works for the union. She restated that she wanted a Courvaisier. I told her that she would receive no more liquor on the flight. She started to walk away and turned back around and stated in a threatening tone, “Well, you're going to receive something when we get back†and walked away.

During the flight, I noticed that 6D and G had left the cabin several times. I stated to both passengers that “You have received a security directive to remain in the cabin to which you are assigned. Please do so for the remainder of the flight.†They again returned to the coach cabin several times and went to 4L and R coach galley.

As I was locking up a movie cart, the cabin was dark and a few passengers were watching a movie and the rest of the cabin was dark except for the reading lights at 6D and G. They were ordering mugs of coffee approximately every 15 minutes. I looked up from the movie cart and glanced through the cabin, Ms. Kroyer was looking at me and waving her personal water bottle above her head.

As I was sitting on my jump seat, contemplating jumping from the plane, I noticed that Ms. Lukensmeye was not in her seat. The lavatory door behind the cockpit and behind my jump seat opened and Ms. Lukensmeye exit the lav and stood in front of me at arms length and states, “I’m gonna insist that the captain have Gerard Arpey, Flight Service, DFW Security, and the union meet this flight.†In an exhausted and pleading tone, I asked Ms. Lukensmeye to please stop, that this had gone too far, and to please return to her seat. She stated, “Well if you're not going to do it, I will.†After Ms. Lukensmeye left the area, I informed the flight attendants that Ms. Lukensmeye made demands upon the captain to notify certain parties to meet the flight, and I was going to the cockpit to speak to the captain.

I informed the captain of the events that had occurred and of the demands made. The captain began to look up levels of threat in his manual after hearing of the events. After I said that I was considering filling out a Passenger Inflight Disturbance Report he asked to see it. I asked for his help in deciding what to do considering their position with the APFA and with American Airlines. We determined that Ms. Lukensmeye had elevated to a Level 2 threat by grabbing me. We further determined that they were possibly in violation of federal law (F.A.R. 91.11) by “threatening, intimidated or interfering with a crew memberâ€, and F.A.R. 121.575, “creating an alcohol-related disturbanceâ€. We agreed that we would continue to monitor them unless the situation escalated and restraints were needed. We determined that if I could not restore order, and if further violations occurred, we would take action.

The behaviors and actions of Ms. Lukensmeye and Ms. Kroyer, who were flying on positive space privileges, were completely unacceptable, especially considering their representation of American Airlines and their status with the Association of Professional Flight Attendants. They were in direct cause of continuous interruptions of flight crew duties and responsibilities for flight service and security. The amount of attention and time spent on them could have devastated our awareness and response, had a true security emergency occurred.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

IDF Purser

American Airlines

mjk said:
Oh the drama of it all!!! :rolleyes:
[post="278950"][/post]​

Yeah, it's a full-on drama. Who is Lukensmeye? Can't they read a PNR? Probably not.

Go to the PNR and get the FULL name, not the cut-off name from the PIL.

Coop

SLT

I'm glad all I have to worry about at work is management stabbing me in the back, my union selling out again, or making a mistake which causes an aircraft to fall from the sky. :rolleyes:

I just don't how I'd deal with a mouthy drunk on an airplane. ;)

flydcoop said:
Yeah, it's a full-on drama. Who is Lukensmeye? Can't they read a PNR? Probably not.

Go to the PNR and get the FULL name, not the cut-off name from the PIL.

SLT
[post="279264"][/post]​

How many flight attendants know how to pull up a PNR, versus taking the PIL they already have from the galley?...

And yes, that is how the name appeared on the PIL -- I pulled it up when I first saw this posted, and some of what is in the report is hard fact (i.e. the seats everyone was in and who was onboard).

Coincidentally, three other people I know were also onboard in coach, and recalled seeing a couple of rowdy flight attendants earlier in the flight.

Hackman said:
I just don't how I'd deal with a mouthy drunk on an airplane. ;)
[post="279312"][/post]​

It's too bad that the Purser and the Captain did not accede to Ms. Lukensmeyer's demand that Gerard Arpey, Flight Service, and DFW Security meet the flight. They could have thrown in the airport police for free. The police, at least, are not that hard to arrange--one call from the cockpit to ATC. There would have been additional witnesses and Ms. Lukensmeyer would more than likely been led away in handcuffs. Being drunk and disruptive on an airplane is a Federal offense. This is not just a case of abuse of company benefits.

If there had been terrorists on the a/c, Ms. Lukensmeyer would have been the perfect diversion for them by keeping the crew focussed on her behavior rather than theirs.

And before any of you start whining that I am a John Ward supporter who has it in for Ms. Lukensmeyer (as a certain national officer tried to tell me was the Purser's motivation), consider this...
I voted for Ms. Lukensmeyer. A mistake I will not repeat for more reasons than this incident.

Former ModerAAtor said:
How many flight attendants know how to pull up a PNR, versus taking the PIL they already have from the galley?...
[post="279464"][/post]​

Good point. I've been flying for about 3.5 years now--not counting the 17 months I was on furlough. I just came off a month of flying #1 on the 757. I was talking to the rest of the crew about the loads on a certain leg, and one of the senior flight attendants asked me how I knew what the loads were. I told her that I had pulled them up in RES. She asked if I was a former gate agent to know how to do this. (The fact that the RES commands are listed in the little SABRE book available to all flight attendants, notwithstanding.) She couldn't believe that a JUNIOR flight attendant would know how to do something she didn't know how to do.

Of course, I gather this same flight attendant doesn't even read the SABRE email the company sends her called HI6s. She informed me that she had never seen one worth reading; so, she just deleted them. We get all kinds of info via HI6--security threats, service alterations, notices from our manager(s). But then, what do I know? I'm just a JUNIOR flight attendant. :lol:

I find most commuters or former commuters are more SABRE sAAvy, if by necessity more than anything. Still, pretty sad when you fly with someone who has no idea that "this" or "that" changed procedurally because they simply don't read the company communication.

But in defense of this purser, it was a 10 hour all-nighter and after flying that long at that time of night, she probably composed her report as soon as she landed, and used the Flight Paperwork, as her reference.

However, I am more concerned about the alleged events of the flight more than I am about the spelling of the APFA official's name.

Latest posts

Back