AA applies for Dallas - Beijing China flight

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Press Release Source: American Airlines, Inc.

American Airlines Applies to Fly to Beijing, China, From DFW
Thursday July 20, 11:06 am ET
Beijing Would Be American's 32nd Nonstop International Destination From Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport

FORT WORTH, Texas, July 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced it has filed an application with the United States Department of Transportation to operate daily nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Beijing, China, starting March 25, 2007. American plans to serve the route with its 245-seat Boeing 777 aircraft in three-class configuration.

"We're acting on our longstanding desire to increase American's presence in the burgeoning China market. We believe we can best serve travelers by flying from DFW, our largest hub, to Beijing -- China's governmental center," said Gerard J. Arpey, American's Chairman and CEO. "If American is awarded this new Beijing service, it will provide substantial benefits by deepening the important cultural and economic ties between China and the North Texas region, as well as much of the U.S. that is conveniently served through our DFW hub. This service to Beijing will complement our existing flights to Shanghai from our Chicago hub.

"I should also note that the proposed resolution of the Wright Amendment debate is a distinct and key element in our decision to apply for the route from DFW," Arpey added. "Dallas/Fort Worth is a vital part of American's network. With both local and connecting passengers into and from a vibrant hub, it helps ensure we will succeed in opening up DFW as a new gateway to China."

Beijing would be the 32nd international destination served by American from its Dallas/Fort Worth hub. From DFW, American and American Eagle operate approximately 800 daily departures to more than 155 destinations. Among American's nonstop international destinations from DFW are cities in Argentina, the Bahamas, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Guatemala, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Venezuela.

"One year ago this weekend, we opened International Terminal D, and it is so fitting today that we join American Airlines in this historic announcement," said Jeff Fegan, DFW International Airport CEO. "International Terminal D was built for the communities of North Texas to reach out to the world -- and to bring the world closer to us. And I can think of no more fitting tribute to the success of our region, our citizens and our economy than for the very first passenger flight to China from the State of Texas to be right here at DFW. There is tremendous corporate and community support for this new service, and the time is now here to bring our two great business and cultural centers together."

American, a founding member of the global oneworld® Alliance, currently serves China with daily nonstop flights between Chicago O'Hare and Shanghai. From there, American's customers can also access other areas of China through a codeshare relationship with China Eastern Airlines, one of China's leading carriers. The introduction of nonstop service to Beijing from DFW would provide passengers with opportunities to connect to 24 points in China's interior region served by China Eastern from Beijing.

I am surprised, I though they would go for LAX or JFK. AA has a chance with this application, but only because CO's and UA's are equally as weak.

Press Release Source: American Airlines, Inc.
American Airlines Applies to Fly to Beijing, China, From DFW
Thursday July 20, 11:06 am ET
Beijing Would Be American's 32nd Nonstop International Destination From Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
FORT WORTH, Texas, July 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced it has filed an application with the United States Department of Transportation to operate daily nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Beijing, China, starting March 25, 2007. American plans to serve the route with its 245-seat Boeing 777 aircraft in three-class configuration.

"We're acting on our longstanding desire to increase American's presence in the burgeoning China market. We believe we can best serve travelers by flying from DFW, our largest hub, to Beijing -- China's governmental center," said Gerard J. Arpey, American's Chairman and CEO. "If American is awarded this new Beijing service, it will provide substantial benefits by deepening the important cultural and economic ties between China and the North Texas region, as well as much of the U.S. that is conveniently served through our DFW hub. This service to Beijing will complement our existing flights to Shanghai from our Chicago hub.

"I should also note that the proposed resolution of the Wright Amendment debate is a distinct and key element in our decision to apply for the route from DFW," Arpey added. "Dallas/Fort Worth is a vital part of American's network. With both local and connecting passengers into and from a vibrant hub, it helps ensure we will succeed in opening up DFW as a new gateway to China."

Beijing would be the 32nd international destination served by American from its Dallas/Fort Worth hub. From DFW, American and American Eagle operate approximately 800 daily departures to more than 155 destinations. Among American's nonstop international destinations from DFW are cities in Argentina, the Bahamas, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Guatemala, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Venezuela.

"One year ago this weekend, we opened International Terminal D, and it is so fitting today that we join American Airlines in this historic announcement," said Jeff Fegan, DFW International Airport CEO. "International Terminal D was built for the communities of North Texas to reach out to the world -- and to bring the world closer to us. And I can think of no more fitting tribute to the success of our region, our citizens and our economy than for the very first passenger flight to China from the State of Texas to be right here at DFW. There is tremendous corporate and community support for this new service, and the time is now here to bring our two great business and cultural centers together."

American, a founding member of the global oneworld® Alliance, currently serves China with daily nonstop flights between Chicago O'Hare and Shanghai. From there, American's customers can also access other areas of China through a codeshare relationship with China Eastern Airlines, one of China's leading carriers. The introduction of nonstop service to Beijing from DFW would provide passengers with opportunities to connect to 24 points in China's interior region served by China Eastern from Beijing.

I am surprised, I though they would go for LAX or JFK. AA has a chance with this application, but only because CO's and UA's are equally as weak.

The only reason AA flies wants to fly to China is so that those greedy managers can outsource maintenance and put more consessions in their pocket through bonuses and secret pensions. B)

UA already ORD-PEK. DFW is a great hub for the south for service to China, better then Atlanta. After 20 years of Japan, AA needs to broaden the DFW Asia portfolio. Hong Kong from either Ord or DFW would be great.

The only reason AA flies wants to fly to China is so that those greedy managers can outsource maintenance and put more consessions in their pocket through bonuses and secret pensions. B)

Conspiracy what will happen nex. Make a profit how dare they

Where do you think UAL and NWA widebody overhauls go? To ASIA!

Do AA 777's have the range to fly from DFW to China?
I know the ORD route is different than DFW to China.
Can it make it with headwinds or full gross weight from DFW?

So let me get this straight…AA wants to fly from their biggest hub to the fastest-growing market in the world JUST so they can outsource jobs? What will you conspiracy theorists think of next? Wait…I don’t want to know!

when will this be awarded?

I would guess by October or November so the winner can line up employees/gates and sell some tickets prior to the late March, 2007 start date.

So let me get this straight…AA wants to fly from their biggest hub to the fastest-growing market in the world JUST so they can outsource jobs? What will you conspiracy theorists think of next? Wait…I don’t want to know!

The post you quoted was a sarcastic lampooning of the perpetually disgruntled conspiracy theorists. Sounds like you took it seriously. :D