Pilots at "standstill"

Jetnet wasn't created so someone could have a significant other on the standby list while you are still working. It cut out the trip to the airport and waiting there for 4 hours. Apparantly you don't know about the commuter sign up sheet here in ORD. The resloved the problem of getting on the standby list years ago. Or I should so for the ones who like to follow the rules that the aren't above. Don't forget that AA policy is that you NOT give out passwords to company controlled websites. So there is your "foul" you so wanted.

I have heard that giving out your password to have someone else put you on the standby list via jetnet could get you fired.

FWAAA Today, 05:31 PM Post #45

Veteran

Group: Registered Member
Member No.: 1,576

QUOTE(Nor'Easta @ Dec 6 2006, 01:06 PM)

I would rather see the pilots shoot themselves in the foot with AA and lose the PEK route!

AA doesn't stand a chance of getting its requested DFW-PEK route anyway; CO will be awarded its EWR-PVG route request

Well GREAT. Then we are all wasting our time debating how mature our beloved AA pilots are. Topic over. In all reality I do hope CO gets it. Maybe then our pilots will show some humility and this so called "leadership" they talk about all the time.

And YES, giving out passwords for jetnet signup at the very least could get someones travel privilages revoked for a time up to including termination.

Nor'Easta,

Are you going to threaten to hold your breath until you turn blue also? :rolleyes:

Feel free to try your ideas if you think you can get away with it with some crews, they deserve it if they let you. Just don't act surprised if you find yourself suddenly moved from #1 to #3-10+, or left at the gate next leg.

FYI...

I can't be moved from #1 to #3-#10. Our positions are awarded upon our bid selections. Our positions are awarded in seniority order and everyone is in the position they bid!! A pilot can't have my position switched in the cabin. If a pilot wants to have me removed then so be it. I will still get paid for the sequence and then DHD back to base :up: ! Oh and my DHD will be positive space and that would require them to bump a revenue passenger to get me on, if the flight is OS ;) .

Do you want to try something else?

N.E.

Before flight and after gate departure are two very different things. My humble suggestion is to not push the issue once the door closes. The FO/FB/FC pilot positions are similar.

Once your off, your off. It wouldn't make a difference what you received after being tossed. I doubt it's legal, nor would agree to dock someones pay at an outstation, even in your case.

I will admit that you are much more informed on the issue than I seem to be. I'm not sure I would be so confident and proud as you seem imply if I was removed by the person in charge of a flight. :blink:

If it works for you, keep it up

Aside from your example of pilots possibly being at a seniority disadvantage, why pray tell is their arse more deserving of the business class or first class seat than another working crew member?
Maybe for the same reasons their arses are deserving of getting paid many times more than other working crew members?

Just because you say so doesn't make it right. Just because you say you deserve getting paid many times more than other working crew members doesn't make it right. There are plenty of pilots out there that would do your job for far lower wages and do it as well or better than you. Time for a reality check. Why don't you go on a job hunt and see what you come up with. You might have an eye opening experience. And before you say the same about my job. Been there, done that. I CAN go find a similar or better paying job. I just might not like it as much. Not so sure that your particular skill would parlay into anything similar. Maybe, but most likely not.

Just because you say so doesn't make it right. Just because you say you deserve getting paid many times more than other working crew members doesn't make it right.
You are absolutely correct. Compensation and work rules aren't set by what people think they "deserve" or by what is "right." It comes down to what they can negotiate.

If the pilots have the clout to negotiate this, more power to them. If APFA has the clout to stop it, more power to them too.

However, a glance at pilot vs. F/A pay scales will quickly show who has more bargaining clout. Want that kind of clout? Become a pilot.

(BTW, by the rest of your post, it seems like you think I am a pilot. I currently do not work for an airline in any capacity. However, I am very familiar with how labor markets work.)

What they are able to negotiate is also based on the pool of available people to take over and the cost and time of training new people for the job.

There clout is being diminished rapidly.

I think their bargaining power is derived partly from the length of time it takes to bring a scab up to minimum speed... As long as the training time for a scab pilot remains 6 weeks or more (what it currently is), the APA's clout will remain firmly intact.

IORFA -

I'd take a pilot about a day's worth of training to do a flight attendant's job.

I'd take a FA about 10 years of college, flight training, and minimum experience to be a major airline pilot . . . assuming they could make it at all.

I find petty carping about pilots by flight attendants annoying tripe.

I just might not like it as much. Not so sure that your particular skill would parlay into anything similar. Maybe, but most likely not.

The skills that make a pilot more valuable to an airline than a flight attendant may not transfer to another job, but the Military background of 70% and college educations of 99.9% of pilots would most likely parlay into something that would easily cover the bills... However they most likely would miss the cheery coworkers they currently enjoy. <_<

The govt says around 10 days, but that is not the point. Most pilots think they are gods gift to everything and deserve to make more than the CEO. Problem is that outside of the airline industry, good luck. You with your college degree will go as far as we would with our college degree. Except I won't have to sell my "captain's" house. I would most likely be able to afford a nicer car. I could be a pilot also if I went to the military and earned a living while being trained to fly planes on someone else's dime. That doesn't make you special. You are still just a number around here just like everyone else. I know that is what makes most pilots the most irritated. Equal treatment. I know it sucks. I also find pilots complaining about not being treated like god annoying tripe.

What they are able to negotiate is also based on the pool of available people to take over and the cost and time of training new people for the job.
Absolutely. The availability of qualified replacements is the key to determining the bargaining clout of any employee in any job. We agree -- so maybe I missed your point?

There clout is being diminished rapidly.
Maybe it is not as great as a few years ago, but it is still quite formidable, if they remain unified.

The govt says around 10 days, but that is not the point. Most pilots think they are gods gift to everything and deserve to make more than the CEO. Problem is that outside of the airline industry, good luck. You with your college degree will go as far as we would with our college degree. Except I won't have to sell my "captain's" house. I would most likely be able to afford a nicer car. I could be a pilot also if I went to the military and earned a living while being trained to fly planes on someone else's dime. That doesn't make you special. You are still just a number around here just like everyone else. I know that is what makes most pilots the most irritated. Equal treatment. I know it sucks. I also find pilots complaining about not being treated like god annoying tripe.

You say things like "Most pilots think they are gods gift to everything and deserve to make more than the CEO" and then you seem to expect people outside your clique to take you seriously? I would wager that you've never once in your career heard a pilot voice the opinion that he deserves to make more than the CEO.. You're irrational, you hate pilots because your envy blinds you, and you have a sense of self-worth that is phenomenally over exaggerated. If you think you deserve pilot money, negotiate for it...

Typical of the know-it-all soothsayers, you've also jumped to a wrong conclusion and gotten my background wrong. I'm one of the 30%ers who actually scraped my way through flight school after graduating with a Masters Degree in Biochemical Engineering. The dime I trained on was my own. I'm also an F/O and the husband of 15 year flight attendant, so I won't be selling my "captain's house" if I lose my job. We have managed to live within our means for the past 13 years and we drive modest cars and have cats instead of kids. I can guarantee you that I would have a job inside of a week paying equal or greater wages than I currently earn. I would have to work 9-5 for it, but I'm not above doing what it takes to provide for the ones I love.

As far as being a number around here, you're absolutely right. In fact, as Don Carty put it, I'm a "cost unit". I don't have a problem with it. It doesn't annoy me at all, in fact, I like the annonymity it provides. I come to work and do my job, then go home and be myself. Being a pilot for American Airlines is not who I am, it's what I do to allow me to be who I am the other 10-15 days a month.

I don't know what your story is, but I can tell from your rantings here that you are bitter and unsatisfied with your life. Rather than making things work for yourself, you sit and stew over things you can't control. You act like ignoring the pilots is hurting our feelings... It isn't.

Finally, I'm not sure what you were referring to when you said "The govt says around 10 days, but that is not the point", but if you were inferring that a pilot can be replaced in 10 days, you're misinformed...

Why is it everytime someone disagrees with a pilot, you are now envious of them? If I wanted to be a pilot, I would have followed that path. I have no desire to sit on my butt for hours on end talking to another possibly uninteresting person passing gas in a small enclosed space. Plus I would have to downgrade my wardrobe, I can't do that. The 10 day comment was for winglet, since you don't read all posts on here. So I take it that you approve of your union trying to stroke your ego at your wifes' expense? Maybe you and Miss Cleo should get together on a new project, since you think you know about me and my mental state. I love my life, I love my family and I love my job. At work, I only ignore the arrogant pilots and still don't hate any of them. I just think it is ridiculous to think that we are not going to notice actions like these and listen to people like you tell me it is all AA's fault. You really do think we are all dumb.

I am done talking about this. Anyone paying attention sees it for what it is. Go after AA, not your fellow co-workers!!

Latest posts