AA buys LHR slot for $31 million from Cyprus Airways

because it builds on strengths, recognizes that AA needs to be present with its own int'l metal in more than just one city on the west coast, and recognizes the value of moving while UA is down to shore up AA's strength in a key west coast market.

Or maybe AA doesn't want to invade UA's hub at SFO - where UA has the only long-haul int'l service on its own metal - in exchange for UA, hmm, wink wink, letting AA duke it out in LAX?

Missing revenue generating opportunities because we are so focused on one and only one strategy is foolish. Especially if the strategy is, at best a long shot. LAX is going to be a tough one-we all know that-well, most of us. SFO is UA territory but thee is always opportunity to invest on gains-especially when the 800lb gorilla in the room is in such a dither it doesn't know weather to #### or wind it's watch !! Talk about investment and sustaining short term losses for the long term-any marked inroad to another carriers territory is a good thing-for flyers/employees/investors. LHR/SFO makes perfect sense-if we didn't have the miserable JBV we have now I assure you AA would be or should be flying it by now.

IMO the playing field on the west coast is changing and changing rapidly. We need to be a player on the regional front. The US merger did little or nothing for the market and it will be up to us to make smart moves outside the LAX focus to be successful. Without a strong (er) North/South out west the rest of our system will underperform. IMO- Yes- I like Delta-I like the way they think and their leadership-but I work for AA and of course want to see us in the winners circle. 

Do I dare say a full on merger w AS would be the answer to all our prayers-well mine for sure!!

where have you been?

you make more sense that a dozen other people who regularly weigh in here on AA business discussions.

But tell me why AS would now merge with AA after saying multiple times including to DL's overtures that it wants to stay independent and that its best outcome is to codeshare with multiple carriers.

AA has the resources to grow wherever it believes it needs to be... it doesn't need another merger and it is doubtful that the DOJ would ever approve one involve any of the current big 4 airlines.

I have "been around" for years-back to 2001. I stopped posting here some years back as it seemed the topics were not of much interest and
many I had little or no knowledge of. I also found that many of the threads became a bit "incestuous" and that coupled with matters in my personal life kept me away from online activities.
I feel I'm just one voice that might know a bit more or a bit less than the other guy/gal....but in the end these are all just observations or ones opinions. I have learned quite a bit about the the industry via this forum over the years and appreciate a civil conversation and from time to time the quick wit and humor of many of the participants.

I now that a all out merge with AS is highly unlikely-it would however if possible, in a perfect world fill a gap and solve many of our long forgotten west coast presence. We have tried it before, twice. Our track record to this point vis a vis mergers is less than stellar...but things were somewhat different then. We were in different markets for different reasons and the industry has expanded to a global playing field.It doesn't take much to look and see where AA is domestically underserved and depends on a remaining domestic codeshare partner for feed and quasi marketing reasons.

Having American commit to a layout that does not directly involve the "betterment" of LAX is just something I don't see happening and have been told so by many making the decisions. Its a new day at Centerport and many ways but as far as a solid west coast structure- if it does not involve LAX in some way shape or for it is a hindrance to it's potential success. I  just don't see it that way for many reasons.

Other that WN coming into SJC and eating our lunch, many of the pull backs in SFO/SJC were done so to enhance LAX-example NRT which operated more profitably than LAX was cannibalizing the LAX frequency so it went. The AAdvantage "burn off" markets to Hawaii-canceled. As UA grew-we got smaller and exited all markets with exception to service to the hubs. The Cornerstone business came into play and all our limited resources were focused there. I understand that and do support a strong/smart LAX presence. There is just more work to be done today with new resources and a changed landscape. I just hope that we can pull back a bit and examine what is happening here and how we can leverage our position in The Bay and introduce the product and market into the mix a bit more. SF is a dynamic and wealthy business market with much opportunity that in my opinion is not getting the attention it deserves.

eolesen said:
What I (and others) question is your present-day activities, particularly the incessant cheerleading for the airline (and the industry) you left, and your need for self-praise/congratulation/promotion.
WorldTraveler said:
If you and others would be willing to acknowledge that there is industry expertise that some people have and you and others don't have, we would all get along a whole lot better
You did an amazing job of confirming what he posted. Simply unreal. As FWAAA said, it must really hurt constantly carrying around those goal posts.

Reactions: 4 people
and yet the FA post above yours confirms exactly what I have been saying for years but the message has been drowned out by the incessant cheerleading squad for the ex- nAAtive mgmt. team.

there are those at AA and in the industry who recognize what AA needed to do years ago, needed to do in BK, and what it continues to not be willing to do despite the fact that it makes all the sense in the world.

so AA will focus on building LAX to the exclusion of the rest of the west coast even though DL is building two major gateways at both LAX and SEA in addition to a smaller gateway at PDX while UA still has a decent sized int'l operation at LAX which I don't think they are willing to give up in addition to their hub at SFO.

Yikes-I just reviewed the last few posts I have placed and it is evident that I need to brush up on my typing, grammar and spelling a bit. As mentioned, I have been away from the computer and online forums for some time...it obviously shows.