AA buys LHR slot for $31 million from Cyprus Airways

Hunh...

Mine currently "spans 3 decades" as well. Maybe I should start referring to it like that? It does have a certain gravitas...

Oh yeah! I worked for NWA in 2 different centuries spanning 3 decades.

Aren't qualifiers great!
if there is nothing inaccurate about what I you, or Kev said then I am not about ready to stop you from using it.

you didn't retire from an airline, though, did you?

MAH says no (post 71  http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/57265-aa-buys-lhr-slot-for-31-million-from-cyprus-airways/?p=1096893 ) & and I can't recall AA serving SFO-London either ... ... ...
thank you. then they should look at it.

seriously.

actually, if I'm to be accurate, AA does serve SFO-LHR twice daily B747 courtesy of the BA/AA JV

but I'm curious why you would suggest AA should serve SFO-LHR instead of using the slot to add another flight from LAX or take over the PHX service from BA

Reactions: 1 person
of course they do.

AA flight attendants work on BA flights, right?

So you think AA should put its own metal into PHX over SFO.

Don't you think the AA name has enough pull at SFO while at PHX, BA and AA/US should work close enough together to get the business regardless of whose metal is used.

SFO is a much larger and higher profile market.

AA also needs an int'l presence in more than just LAX on the west coast.

WorldTraveler said:
of course they do.

AA flight attendants work on BA flights, right?

So you think AA should put its own metal into PHX over SFO.

Don't you think the AA name has enough pull at SFO while at PHX, BA and AA/US should work close enough together to get the business regardless of whose metal is used.

SFO is a much larger and higher profile market.

AA also needs an int'l presence in more than just LAX on the west coast.

Honestly, I don't know how AA should use the additional slot.

Ofcourse SFO-LHR is a larger market than PHX and accordingly there are already 3 carriers offering service on the route.

My first choice for the slot might be an additional LAX-LHR frequency.  The way for AA to build a stronger presence on the west coast is to add more service at LAX, thus additional service to a JV partner hub that is a major international business center might be a good way to do it.

PHX might be the next logical choice, but I'm not sure what the future holds for AA/US there.  After that, it could mean AA taking over a BA west coast-LHR flight (including SFO, SAN, SEA, etc.).

Glenn Quagmire said:
Oh yeah! I worked for NWA in 2 different centuries spanning 3 decades.

Aren't qualifiers great!
Did you happen to work for NW in DTW?  If so, then your career may also have spanned 3 different terminals :D 

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
I can respect what you do and have acknowledged your expertise. Not sure why it is so hard for you to reciprocate.
I've never questioned your past contributions or expertise, WT.

What I (and others) question is your present-day activities, particularly the incessant cheerleading for the airline (and the industry) you left, and your need for self-praise/congratulation/promotion.

I don't need to bother firing up the thread/post counter right now, but I'll guess that you alone account for between 25-30% of the content on both the AA and WN forum, and probably >50% of the content on the DL forum (absent the lone IAM thread).

You like to think that everyone disagrees with you, when the reality is probably closer to people being tired of seeing your endless parade of self-righteous posts.

Maybe you should limit yourself to an hour or two per day of being online, like most normal people do... There's a big world out there that doesn't involve a keyboard.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not interested in reopening old wounds. but it is absolutely accurate to say that you have gone to endless lengths to try to discredit the knowledge that I have and bring to this discussion forum.

If you and others would be willing to acknowledge that there is industry expertise that some people have and you and others don't have, we would all get along a whole lot better.

The simple fact is that DL went into BK with a highly detailed and thought out plan to rebuild the company based on changing a number of major issues that had long dogged both DL and the legacy segment of the industry.

I repeatedly noted that AA was losing valuable time in protecting its franchise because other carriers, including DL, weren't going to stand still.

I also have acknowledged that now that AA has emerged from BK and has a merger partner, its chances of success are strong... likely better than UA's.

What you and others cannot acknowledge is that DL is a number of steps ahead of AA because it started the process seven years earlier.

Too many here have been beat down for years as AA struggled to restructure over a 10 year period and want to believe every rumor that comes along about how well the new AA will succeed and grow.

the simple reality is that AA cannot do even a fraction of the things that its internet supporters think it will do because of competitive realities.

further, the vast majority here are still intoxicated from the honeymoon of the merger while failing to realize that there are huge parts of the merger that haven't even come close to being addressed, including the revenue impact from divestiture of key assets and the opening of DAL to longhaul domestic flying.

I'd be happy to back down from my positions if other people would be willing to say, "you just might have a point there, WT. It might be wise for us to hold our enthusiasm and our criticism until it becomes just a little more apparent how well this all shakes out."

think you could be part of changing the environment of how this board operates?

Whatever...

You clearly have too much emotional investment to realize this is an internet forum, not the Admin building where people might actually care.

Reactions: 7 people
so does that mean you don't care because it is an internet chat forum?

what other activities in life do you participate in that you don't care about?

the default expectation would be that anyone that participates here cares just as they would with anything else they do in life.

no comment on BA's withdrawal of the FC cabin in several key markets?

I care MORE about that topic.

WorldTraveler said:
looks like the value of the first class cabin to/from PHX, LAS, and YVR isn't enough to cover its costs on a year round basis for BA.
http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/24/ba-744f-w14/
And funny how you left out the whole truth:

Reservations for First Class is now closed, however it’ll be sold as Club World. This comes after Lufthansa gradually cancelling First Class service on selected routes operated by Boeing 747-400.

I still don't understand why you all don't just put the weirdo on ignore. If you did, then he would leave and this forum would get back to normal. I.E. Mechanics bitching about fleet service sucking them down and all employees bitching about management! Ahh, the good old days. Once I put him on ignore, the thread pages decreased by about 25%. Amazing.

Reactions: 6 people
And funny how you left out the whole truth:
I left nothing out.

BA is not selling FC.

I didn't bring LH into the discussion.

The fact that LH is doing it might make it a bit more rational for do it but the whole notion that there is huge amounts of paid first class demand is just not as much as some people want to believe.