AA drops DFW/Osaka, Japan

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
AA announced this week it will discontinue service between DFW and Osaka, Japan effective October 27th. AA attributed this route cut to the high price of fuel. This discontinuance of service is now added to the prior announcements of terminating BOS-SNN and SFO-NRT on the 27th of October as well.

Probably the same reason you, UA, did the same to JFK. They most likely weren't making money. We were told SJC-NRT was losing money!

AA announced this week it will discontinue service between DFW and Osaka, Japan effective October 27th. AA attributed this route cut to the high price of fuel. This discontinuance of service is now added to the prior announcements of terminating BOS-SNN and SFO-NRT on the 27th of October as well.

Osaka barely got off the ground in the first place. I'm pretty sure the flight had to do with pressure DFW was giving AA about new flights from terminal D. So AA tried it, it failed, got cancelled.

KIX is a very high cost airport with low to moderate yields with cheaper oil, but higher oil makes it prohibitive.

AA has done Osaka twice from DFW and ORD to Nagoya. There luck at regional Japanesse airports is lousy. I'm surprised

Second Miami to Buenos Aires daily flight and JFK to BA daily flight, both replacing 763. I think the first heavy maintanence checks are due on some 777 since he first ones were in the latw 1990's, the winter is better for down time then the summer.

Second Miami to Buenos Aires daily flight and JFK to BA daily flight, both replacing 763. I think the first heavy maintanence checks are due on some 777 since he first ones were in the latw 1990's, the winter is better for down time then the summer.

I thought those 777's were from the SJC-NRT flights. The DFW-KIX 777's have yet to be reassigned as far I as know but I could be wrong.

If AA were to get off it's can and order 787's we'll see some of these routes return when they arrive. This airplane IS a game changer.

If past history is any indicator, an aircraft order will follow a new pilot contract. That's what happened with the 777/737 order in 1997, and new aircraft are the only carrot AA has to offer right now.

Also, remember what happened with DL when they ordered and took delivery of their B777's... There wasn't any language in their pilot contract regarding pay rates or duty time for long haul flights, which put DL in the position of negotiating a less than optimal agreement because the aircraft they were taking delivery of were essentially grounded...

Having said that, AA just recently resolved the issue of long-haul flights outside the normal contract negotiating process, so it's possible that there could be an order before negotiating a new contract. I just don't think it's very likely to occur.

Latest posts