JAL Cuts, What They Mean to AA/oneworld

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
Destination cuts were announced earlier today.

747-400 fleet and A300 fleet are gone within 10 months.

International cuts are:
NRT-KOA/AMS/MXP/FCO/DPS/BNE
KIX-DPS/GUM/HKG/CAN/PEK
NGO-BKK/CAN
JFK-GRU

Of those, the only route with any oneworld overlap is JFK-GRU. Might be an opportunity to pick up GRU-NRT traffic via any of the three major hubs serving NRT and GRU (currently DFW and JFK).

They also announced some adds:

HND-TPE new 2x daily
HND-SFO/HNL/CDG/BKK new 1x daily
HND-PEK/PVG goes from 1x to 2x daily
HND-SEL goes from 2x to 3x daily
HND-HKG goes from 3x weekly to 1x daily

All that ties in nicely if AA gets Haneda authority, but even if they don't, without doubt they'll codeshare on JL from HNL & SFO.

Domestic cuts of about 30%, but none seem to be in gateway airports for oneworld.

Full details here: http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201004/001531.html

When I looked over the list it looked like I could still connect to where I want to go, even though JAL will be substantially smaller. All 744s gone within a year. Didn't JAL have one of the largest 747 fleets a while back (besides BA)?

With JAL dropping so many NRT flights, who winds up getting the slots? ANA might stand to gain some, but could AA and other US-based airlines obtain more slots? Are they worth trying to obtain?

All that ties in nicely if AA gets Haneda authority, but even if they don't, without doubt they'll codeshare on JL from HNL & SFO.

AA and JAL are applying for metal neutrality. They won't just codeshare, AA will profit-share on SFO-HND.

AA and JAL are applying for metal neutrality. They won't just codeshare, AA will profit-share on SFO-HND.

What does metal neutrality mean, JAL or AA can fly it ?. I do remember at one time KLM flew Amsterdam-Miami and other times of the year NWA flew it. From what I've been reading or hearing on SKy news ect that as open skys happen any carrier can fly a route, will this apply to AA on JAL unused routes if AA wished to opperate them, or would it require all the airlines applying ect. I realize that Japan isn't open sky's, but being part of OW are there exceptions, or maybe Japan is open skys and I missed it with all my flying.

Thanks a bunch

Latest posts