AA one of six airlines granted routes to Cuba

700UW said:
The flights were awarded based on population according to some articles.

But hey you know more than the airline executives and other airline employees.

And I believe CLT was second or third on AA's list.

Nobody serious is attacking CLT as a hub nor saying that it should be shut down - certainly not me.  But it is simply undeniable that CLT is by far the smallest and least important market (at least in terms of Cuba) that got a nonstop HAV flight.  With the exception of ATL - another hub similar to CLT only much larger - every single other U.S. gateway awarded HAV is, or is near, a relatively meaningful Cuban-American diaspora and/or a region that generates meaningful Cuba O&D.  CLT is simply neither of those.  That's just reality - thus why AA requested seven daily MIA-HAV before a single daily CLT-HAV.

That said, CLT is certainly a massive hub but so is MIA, and CLT really offers nothing major by way of relevant/meaningful connectivity to/from HAV that can't be offered over MIA.  When we look back five years from now, I suspect that if you sum the O&D to/from Cuba from every single city AA serves from CLT but not MIA, it will amount to less than 10% (maybe even 5%) of total U.S.-HAV demand.  U.S.-HAV demand is and will remain incredibly concentrated in a few cities - every one of which has multiple daily flights to MIA, and all of which - not coincidentally - have just been awarded a nonstop to HAV on at least one if not multiple airline/s.

All that said, the DOT did not award the HAV frequencies simply "based on population."  No need to read "some articles" - the DOT themselves stated its reasoning for awarding a HAV frequency to Cuba-O&D-irrelevant CLT pretty clearly:

"As was said at the outset, given the nature of the U.S.-Cuba market at this time, a major focus of the proceeding would need to be on addressing the service needs of the most important segments of that market. But it was also important to insure services at hub cities that, while perhaps not major Cuban-American population centers, could nevertheless expand the reach of catchment areas to sweep in many areas of potential interest in Havana scheduled travel and to thereby create significant service and competitive benefits. In short, in addition to providing the Department with an opportunity to address the need for service, this proceeding also provides the Department with an opportunity to establish a framework for promoting competition in the overall U.S.-Havana market. It is with this in mind that the Department tentatively allocates one frequency to American for daily service from its Charlotte hub, and one frequency to Delta for daily service from its Atlanta hub." (emphasis mine)

Reactions: 3 people
CLT has proven over time to be quite effective at mainly being a connecting hub with lackluster (I'm being nice) O&D. If travel restrictions are removed then Cubans won't be the only folks visiting Cuba. There are many Americans chomping at the bit to visit and I'm sure that there will even be people in the Charlotte area wanting to visit  IF THE US STATE DEPARTMENT REMOVES TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS.  As far as tourism goes this will be the shale oil and gas boom of the travel industry. Call me a hopeless optimist but we'll be fine IF THE US STATE DEPARTMENT REMOVES TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS.  If trade restrictions are removed then I'm sure the freight business will put some gravy on those mashed potatoes. At the expense of being cliche, if they removed the ban on cigars then I'm sure there will be heavy boxes of Cohibas in those bins and heading for tobacco shops in the US, Canada and Europe. 

We'll be fine. MIA will be fine. CLT will be fine. IF THE US STATE DEPARTMENT REMOVES TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS.

Reactions: 1 person
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2016/07/09/american-airlines-charlotte-havana-flight-makes-sense-but-does-havana-need-19-daily-u-s-flights/#19c0670235c1

American Airlines' Charlotte-Havana Flight Makes Sense, But Does Havana Need 20 Daily U.S. Flights?

Not only did American get four daily Miami-Havana flights, probably the most desirable prize in the package, but also it received a single daily Havana flight from Charlotte, its second biggest hub and also an airport where American serves 70 destinations it does not serve from Miami.

700UW said:

I'm happy for Ted Reed that he thinks CLT-HAV "makes sense."  And I agree with him that a person connecting from SAV to HAV may - may - prefer connecting over CLT compared to MIA.  The problem, again, is that there is going to be essentially nobody flying between SAV and HAV, nor will there be essentially anybody flying from any of those other 70 CLT-only cities to HAV.  That's the point.  The demand is, and will remain, highly concentrated in a relatively small number of places - all of which have lots of flights to MIA, and all of which will soon have nonstop flights to HAV.

I've been looking at this for a couple of days now, and I have to ask.  What does it mean that the flight will be a "pig"?  What is a "Pumpkin flight"?

MK
I think it's a reference to how heavy the flights will be with baggage. The current MIA-HAV charter flights are very heavy with bags. After a weekend in MIA shopping, the first couple Monday morning HAV charters are going out with about 15K of bags on a 738. Seen it up to 17K a few times. Not sure what pumpkin means.

commavia said:

I'm happy for Ted Reed that he thinks CLT-HAV "makes sense."  And I agree with him that a person connecting from SAV to HAV may - may - prefer connecting over CLT compared to MIA.  The problem, again, is that there is going to be essentially nobody flying between SAV and HAV, nor will there be essentially anybody flying from any of those other 70 CLT-only cities to HAV.  That's the point.  The demand is, and will remain, highly concentrated in a relatively small number of places - all of which have lots of flights to MIA, and all of which will soon have nonstop flights to HAV.
Commavia, you might as well give it up.  There are those whose minds are made up that CLT is always a sensible connection point regardless of route or demand.  Former US aren't the only ones who think that way.  When AA management started shredding STL service, one of them said to me..."Our customers will NEVER fly Southwest.  They don't offer the level of service our customers expect."

When I was recalled from furlough in November, 2004 and assigned to STL, there was still 200 departures/day from STL. Well, they've reduced STL to something like 30 departures/day and most of those are either STL-ORD or STL-DFW.  And, the flights are full.  However, I recommend that you go over to East Terminal (WN only) and see what the traffic looks like.  There are a lot of suits with computer bags standing in line to board.  When push comes to shove, they just need to get from Point A to Point B, and if WN can provide that service more efficiently with more departure time choices for less money, then so be it.

Back on topic, I don't see how IAH will provide enough traffic to justify even 1xdaily.  I lived in Houston for 30 years.  The 4th (maybe 3rd now) largest city in the United States had one (a, uno) Cuban food restaurant.  (I know.  I used to go there frequently.)  Does that suggest that there is a large number of Cuban-descent folk living there?

However, if free and open tourism happens, all bets are off.  Just the novelty of going there will produce a lot of traffic for at least a year or two, and a lot of that may start returning to Cuba for vacation the way some people go to the beaches of South Florida every year for their vacations.  And, I suspect that there is going to have to be a LOT of infrastructure repair/updating, but if the Cuban government will just give the hotel chains and airlines some freedom to update, that won't be a problem.

Reactions: 2 people
28L_or_10R? said:

We'll be fine. MIA will be fine. CLT will be fine. IF THE US STATE DEPARTMENT REMOVES TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS.

I think it's just matter of time.  For all the AA CLT haters, get over it. It's a great hub and doing VERY well. AA is adding service there. What they couldn't accomplish in RDU and BNA, they finally have in CLT. 

Reactions: 4 people
Yawn. I think it's just a matter of time before CLT gets the same haircuts that RNO (another great hub) and STL (another great hub) got.

Yeah, I know. Different top management, but at the end of the day, local O&D will eventually determine what happens with CLT more than egos.

Don't let the fact AA just signed a new lease with CLT, is the second largest hub and one of the most profitable hub.

DFWFSC said:
I think it's a reference to how heavy the flights will be with baggage.

Oh.  Bermuda can be like that, with such limited shopping on the island.  The plane would be light, however, since not much fuel would be needed.

MK

Latest posts