AA pulls out of LGB

B6Busdriver

Advanced
Jan 27, 2003
sted on Thu, Dec. 15, 2005
American Airlines to end service from Long Beach AirportAssociated PressLONG BEACH, Calif. - American Airlines will stop its service from Long Beach Airport in early 2006, company officials said.
The Dallas-based airline will give up one flight in January or February and the other four remaining flights will be discontinued by March 2, said Tim Wagner, a company spokesman.
The airline is discontinuing flights at several locations nationwide as it expands service out of Dallas Love Field. The airline's primary hub is Dallas-Forth Worth International Airport .
Discount airline JetBlue Airways will take over at least three of American Airline's five slots. New York-based JetBlue had to give up some of its slots at Long Beach after American Airlines threatened legal action over how flight slots were originally awarded.
JetBlue will receive at least three of the soon-to-be vacant spots as part of a 2003 agreement related to American Airlines' threatened lawsuit.
"We find it ironic that we were kind of pressured to release these slots, and now they're apparently not useful to them (American) anymore," said JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin. "The marketplace changes so rapidly, almost on a daily basis, so I'm not entirely surprised. No one should be."
The Long Beach flights were being dropped for economic reasons, Wagner said.
"Because we don't have the financial position to buy new aircraft or (hire) more people, we have to get more assets from our other locations," Wagner said. "Long Beach happens to be one of our lower-performing markets. It's a marginal route."
email thisprint thisreprint or license this

Is this where someone writes that this is proof positive that AA is not long for this world now that it's been run entirely out of a market???

Is this where someone writes that this is proof positive that AA is not long for this world now that it's been run entirely out of a market???
I think they are long for this world. I'm waiting for a certain person to tell us it's more fleet re-allocation and they can re-enter the market and kick JB's backside.

I think they are long for this world. I'm waiting for a certain person to tell us it's more fleet re-allocation and they can re-enter the market and kick JB's backside.

==========================================================

"BUS",

Yes, I'll agree with most of what you said.

What I DO find very amusing is that for the last 25 years, and for however many years to come, AA has co-existed as Texas neighbors with WN,and does NOT fear WN.

With WN many times more powerful than B6, what then do we make of the competative relationship between AA and B6 ??

NH/BB's

(this post is NOT directed at YOU exclusively, but to EVERY B6 employee)

==========================================================

"BUS",

Yes, I'll agree with most of what you said.

What I DO find very amusing is that for the last 25 years, and for however many years to come, AA has co-existed as Texas neighbors with WN,and does NOT fear WN.

With WN many times more powerful than B6, what then do we make of the competative relationship between AA and B6 ??

NH/BB's

(this post is NOT directed at YOU exclusively, but to EVERY B6 employee)

I wouldn't say that AA is not afraid of WN. Their attempts to keep the WA in place is evidence that they do have some fear. I also wouldn't say that WN has no fear of AA. Let's call it a "mutual fear" (maybe "mutual admiration" would be a better choice). Their co-existance has comprised of mostly avoiding the other...until now when they have both run out of room to avoid each other.

AA has given up on LGB. Oh, well.

When AA trimmed the LGB flights earlier, it added additonal nonstop LAX-JFK flights and found that the traffic followed up the 405 and was content to fly from LAX.

Years ago, AA flew ORD-ONT (and ORD-LGB). Life went on when those flights were dropped.

Eleven daily 762s (featuring upgrade potential) are a decent alternative to single-class A320s from LGB and BUR. To each their own.

Honestly, B6 is gonna attract some AA customers. But I'm not ready to abandon AA for B6 just because I get free live TV and blue snacks (and decent coach legroom). Why? Because I can usually sit in Business Class to NYC and recline, with a decent meal and free booze, that's why. Last minute transcons can be had even on AA for decent fares (I don't pay full F like the Hollywood crowd does).

There's room for B6 and AA.

All,
So you know I placed this thread in the JetBlue forum not AA. The moderators saw fit to move the thread to the AA section. I do not agree. This was not an attempt to boast. I placed it in the B6 section because I now many JetBlue employees look at it.

Latest posts

Back