AA to let FF use miles for 1-way trips, mixed trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
DALLAS - American Airlines says it will let frequent fliers use miles to book one-way trips for half the miles of a round trip.

The airline will also let customers redeem miles to fly one leg of a round trip in first-class and fewer miles to fly in coach on the other leg. Officials at American, which developed the first frequent-flier program nearly three decades ago, plans to announce the changes Monday and put them into effect shortly.

They say American is the first major U.S. airline to offer a one-way award ticket at half miles. It's hard to know how many people would use miles for a one-way trip — parents driving a child to college and flying home might — and American officials didn't offer any estimates.

"I think more customers will claim more awards," said Rob Friedman, president of marketing for American's frequent-flier program, AAdvantage. "I think there will be more spontaneous kinds of trips."

The idea of using more miles on one leg of a round trip than the other could appeal to business travelers.

full story here

They say American is the first major U.S. airline to offer a one-way award ticket at half miles.

Wrong... Alaska offered this with Mileage Plan about two years ago.

Still, one-ways have a good side benefit -- being able to mix classes of service. Used to be you had to choose same class of service in both directions.

What I'm a little less excited about is supposedly stopovers are no longer allowed on award tickets.

Wrong... Alaska offered this with Mileage Plan about two years ago.

Still, one-ways have a good side benefit -- being able to mix classes of service. Used to be you had to choose same class of service in both directions.

What I'm a little less excited about is supposedly stopovers are no longer allowed on award tickets.

And Southwest has always offered. But I guess they don't consider Southwest a major carrier even though they carry more passengers than AA

That's one of the problems with the media - they often only consider the big network carriers as "major carriers".

Jim

And Southwest has always offered. But I guess they don't consider Southwest a major carrier even though they carry more passengers than AA

You mean that Southwest will let me use eight Rapid Rewards credits to book a capacity-controlled one-way flight? Great! 'Cause that's what AA now allows. You can claim a capacity-controlled one-way flight for half the mileage of the round-trip award ticket.

Or were you talking about something else that "Southwest has always offered?"

You mean that Southwest will let me use eight Rapid Rewards credits to book a capacity-controlled one-way flight? Great! 'Cause that's what AA now allows. You can claim a capacity-controlled one-way flight for half the mileage of the round-trip award ticket.

Or were you talking about something else that "Southwest has always offered?"

Southwest has alway allowed you to use an award as two one ways

Status
Not open for further replies.