AA & TWA! Two great airlines, one great future! What happened?

I like TransWorldOne's post. I was not there but the symbolism and music would not have been lost on me. I would still be wondering if playing music from the Empire Strikes Back was just "coincidence" or someone was really sending a message.

So many ifs.

If UAL hadn't embarked on an ill-fated merger effort with USAir;

If AA and TWA hadn't deceived the US Bankruptcy Court;

If September 11 had never happened (with the resulting war-like military responses);

If SARS had never happened;

If Saddam Hussein had voluntarily stepped down instead of thumbing his nose at Pres Bush;

etc, etc, etc.

If none of the above had happened, the economy would surely be booming today - it would be 1999-2000 all over again.
1.gif

But they did happen. All of them. And there's no way to undo them.

So stop beating the dead horse. It's dead already.

Had United not embarked on its ill-fated attempt to buy US Airways,TWA would have been left to its own devices.
Would it have survived in the post 9/11 airline world? No one can say with any degree of certainty.
For those who say TWA would have gotten an ATSB loan I'd ask how willingly the IAM would have given the required concessions.Weren't they due a new contract in '01? Wasn't O'Driscoll already making noises about an 'Industry standard' contract?
Boeing has problems of its own as witnessed by the announcement of an additional 5,000 layoffs last week.
Considering how airlines have become incredible sinkholes of capital in the last 18 months how would Boeing justify having a major interest in an airline on its already strained balance sheet?

----------------
On 7/28/2003 4:29:13 PM BDLDFW wrote:

----------------
On 7/28/2003 4:04:33 PM AAplanesareold wrote:

I actually requested the day off way in advance. I didn't want to vomit all over the place.
14.gif

----------------​

Did you vomit when you cashed your first AA paycheck?

----------------​

Actually, I never cahsed a single AA check. Why? I didn't accept the bread crumbs thrown at me by AA. I moved on to greener pastures.

I sleep great at night, knowing I never had to kiss any AA butts. Not a single one!
10.gif

At our BBQ at MCI, A.A.'s tow trackor broke down! We had to resuerect our old 747 unit rig to pull A.A.'s 777 to the hanger, an hour and a half late! The Mayor was there, but got impationt, and went home after about an hour! Carty still tryed to put on a grand enterance, but his shiny Bird being pulled by an old worn out TWA Unit rig took all the wind out of his sails! To say the least! He was pist!!! I was thinking at the time! Sign of things to come! How right I was!!!
15.gif

In STL on that fateful day.
We were indeed surprized at the Compton/Carty lovefest.
All the hugging and patting of each other on the back was too much.
The group I was with could not believe it.
This was too good to be true.

I saw the movie " The Pianist " the other day and after the movie I started having " flashback's" of the grand entrance of AA into STL.
They did the same thing. Instead of herding the JEWS into on place, AA herded TWA into one place and started gassing them just like the Movie.

Yes I do have a Clue.
15.gif
15.gif

Well, this TWAer thinks that the post from LGA Fleet Svc and FWAAA are the most level headed post on this subject. I also think that this thread should be closed because i doubt there are very many cool heads on this subject.

----------------
On 7/29/2003 3:00:05 AM F/Oaa wrote:
I saw the movie " The Pianist " the other day and after the movie I started having " flashback's" of the grand entrance of AA into STL.

They did the same thing. Instead of herding the JEWS into on place, AA herded TWA into one place and started gassing them just like the Movie.

Yes I do have a Clue.
15.gif
15.gif
----------------​

You have no clue.
Your comparison between herding jews and twa employees is lame.

----------------

Actually, I never cahsed a single AA check. Why? I didn't accept the bread crumbs thrown at me by AA. I moved on to greener pastures.

I sleep great at night, knowing I never had to kiss any AA butts. Not a single one!
10.gif

----------------

AA butts - otherwise known as AAss
9.gif

----------------
On 7/29/2003 6:42:18 AM rampguy wrote:

Well, this TWAer thinks that the post from LGA Fleet Svc and FWAAA are the most level headed post on this subject. I also think that this thread should be closed because i doubt there are very many cool heads on this subject.

----------------​
Hey rampguy! These Yahoos have got it in their heads that we're all history! Well guess what? With all their yaw yewing, They still haven't convenced me that I'm not still here!!
9.gif

----------------
On 7/28/2003 5:58:22 PM FWAAA wrote:

So many ifs.
If none of the above had happened, the economy would surely be booming today - it would be 1999-2000 all over again.

----------------​
Oh really?
The economy was on a downward slide well before 9-11. The average load factor of the planes used that day were around 25%.
What is stopping the economy now?
One thing for sure is that my ability to contribute to the economy has been severely diminished.