AAL- America West Aircraft

The Flintstones theme?... Eww... Would have been much nicer in the 1980's blue and maroon.

I doubt there would be a Trans-Carib. There's probably no more than a dozen employees left on active payroll who actually worked there. Seven airplanes and a handful of cities from over 40 years ago isn't worth the paint...

I would like to see AirCal and Reno (although the pilots probably wouldn't) eventually.

Reactions: 1 person
Why the repaint? US already had these 4 planes painted. All they had to do was change the name on the side. Is there anything else different than the current US version of the retro plane?

tadjr said:
Is there anything else different than the current US version of the retro plane?

Whereas there was once an AWA logo on the nosegear panel there is now a US flag logo.  The registration number is now dark gray instead of orange, and there are three additional characters beneath it in smaller type (as seen on LAA craft) and those are repeated under each wing.

I think this plane would look a lot better if 'American' and the logo were of the same size and placement as seen on the normal livery.

Most thought we were apart of American back then.
I don't know how many people I had to tell that we were America West not American West LOL...

Just got my airways magazine and it had a story on the retirement of the 737 with many pictures in the old USAir scheme - it would be nice to see a USAir retro jet

I just wish the AA livery would change a small bit by painting the winglets - I think it would give the plane more pop - saw the A330 the other day when I flew from MIA to PHL - it looked awesome - except the winglets - they are too plan

ChockJockey said:
The registration number is now dark gray instead of orange, and there are three additional characters beneath it in smaller type (as seen on LAA craft) and those are repeated under each wing.
The three additional characters are the nose number or fleet number. Registration number isn't used for internal tracking of the airplane.

eolesen said:
The three additional characters are the nose number or fleet number. Registration number isn't used for internal tracking of the airplane.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that.  It looks like for some of the LUS aircraft they are using the three digits in the registration number as the fleet number, such as N819AW-819.

Latest posts