Ae Pulling Out Of Pwm

spartan

May 31, 2003
I non revved yesterday from PWM to DFW via ORD. I was shocked to learn from the agents that AE will be pulling out of Portland, Maine in October. When AMR purchased Bus EX several years ago, there were hourly flts to BOS. Now the only AE flts are 2 flts to ORD, 2 flts to LGA, and I think only 1 flt to BOS. The agents said they were surprised because the flts are always full with many business travelers. The only American presence in Maine will be in Bangor which seems strange because most of the population in Maine is in the southern part of the state. Does anyone have any information about this and will there be more flts in and out of BGR added to make up for the departure of PWM flts? The only reason I can come up with for this decision to pull out is that Independence Air has begun service to PWM. Do the powers that be at AMR think they can't compete?

spartan said:
I non revved yesterday from PWM to DFW via ORD. I was shocked to learn from the agents that AE will be pulling out of Portland, Maine in October. When AMR purchased Bus EX several years ago, there were hourly flts to BOS. Now the only AE flts are 2 flts to ORD, 2 flts to LGA, and I think only 1 flt to BOS. The agents said they were surprised because the flts are always full with many business travelers. The only American presence in Maine will be in Bangor which seems strange because most of the population in Maine is in the southern part of the state. Does anyone have any information about this and will there be more flts in and out of BGR added to make up for the departure of PWM flts? The only reason I can come up with for this decision to pull out is that Independence Air has begun service to PWM. Do the powers that be at AMR think they can't compete?
[post="178844"][/post]​

They need the planes elsewhere. From PWM, they fly double daily each to O'Hare and LaGuardia, as you mentioned, a three times a day on weekends to Boston.

IT is not a matter of loads but yields. Jet Blue will also start service there soon from LGA and further drive down yields in the race to the bottom.

Jet Blue will also start service there soon from LGA and further drive down yields in the race to the bottom.

Did B6 get more LGA slots, or will they be using their current slots they use to FLL? ;)