Afa Wants To Authorize Strike

herkav8r

Advanced
Apr 10, 2003
United union seeking strike OK
Flight attendants await contract ruling

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
November 15, 2004

The union representing United Airlines' flight attendants is asking members to authorize a strike if a federal bankruptcy judge cancels the union's contract with the beleaguered carrier.

The move follows a proposal by United earlier this month asking the union to grant $137.6 million in annual wage and benefit cuts and work-rule changes.

Advertisement

The airline proposed another $587 million in annual cutbacks to its other unions.

United said it wants to negotiate the reductions by mid-January as part of its efforts to emerge from bankruptcy. But it signaled it would ask a judge to void existing union contracts and impose new terms if negotiations fail.

The Association of Flight Attendants' leadership told members in a message on its Web site Sunday that United has proposed contract changes that "are neither necessary to a successful reorganization nor fair and equitable," including about 1,000 job cuts.

The union said that, while it will meet with United to discuss contract changes, it believes "United management will remain fixed upon a strategy of overreaching, will not negotiate in good faith and will seek judicial intervention to achieve its unnecessary, unfair and inequitable goals."

The union didn't say when it would send out strike-authorization ballots.

A union spokeswoman, Sara Dela Cruz, said she would not comment beyond the message to members, adding that it "speaks for itself."

In a similar situation at US Airways, which also is in bankruptcy, a union representing reservation agents has threatened a strike.

Jeff Green, a United spokesman, said Sunday night that the carrier remains committed to hashing out an agreement with the attendants' union to achieve the cost savings it requires. In its proposals to its unions, the giant airline set savings targets but said it was open to different ways of reaching the objectives.

"We are eager to sit down directly with the AFA to discuss options they would like to propose," Green said.

United, the main operating unit of UAL Corp. and Denver's largest carrier, has been in bankruptcy almost two years. It is seeking a total of $2 billion in further reductions to its annual operating expenses, citing pressures from high fuel prices and low airfares.

About $1.3 billion of the new annual cuts would come from ending traditional pension plans and chopping non-labor expenses.

Chicago-based United has proposed cutting flight attendants' pay by 10.2 percent, of which 4 percent would be temporary. It also has proposed cuts to sick-leave pay and vacation benefits.

Fly said:
Who wouldn't??? Did YOU see the contract that United wants us to approve? OMG! Vote NO
[post="200997"][/post]​

Hey Fly, I personally think UAL, US, DAL, and AMR should all get the flu on on Thanksgiving Eve. Maybe cooperate America and her greedy managers would wake up. Oh I'm sorry, little Johnny won't see grandma in time to eat turkey. Eventually he'll get to eat his turkey but at least for a few days the airline ceo's would eat some crow.

Oh I know, wildcat strike, illegal actions. Considering there is a flu shot shortage and we all work with the public, it's possible 200,000 airline workers could get the flu.

Ok , I know it's radical but it seems we all just keep sitting back taking it , being fed the same crock of crap from one airline to another, Why haven't ANY of the airline CEO's spent more time lobbying congress for say a 2 years price freeze on fuel for companies who's botom line depends upon it...and not just airlines.

The "laws" of not being able to sit down together as airline ceo's and raise prices to counter the increase in fuel prices is insane...which tells me there is a concerted effort to continue this foolishness until one or two airlines are gone. Everyone is just hoping we at U just go away. All the "Oh we care BS" now falls on deaf ears. And they do the same with you guys.

Such is life, so really what the hell do we have to loose? Our jobs? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!! That's coming soon enough! :lol: :( :angry: :p :ph34r:

And now the dangerous game of chicken begins. Who will blink first? I was wondering which union would be the first to play the strike card. As I've said before and I'll say again, now that the AFA has played their hand (other unions could certainly follow), hopefully everyone has their financial house in order and their family prepared for what will probably be an unfortunate outcome if any union on the property decides to burn the house down with a strike or job action.

Not that it matters in the above as I'm sure there would be a job action whether it is legal or not, but does anyone know as FACT as to when or even if a union can legally strike under the 1113 process? From what I understand, there is no legal precedent.

ualdriver said:
And now the dangerous game of chicken begins. Who will blink first? I was wondering which union would be the first to play the strike card. As I've said before and I'll say again, now that the AFA has played their hand (other unions could certainly follow), hopefully everyone has their financial house in order and their family prepared for what will probably be an unfortunate outcome if any union on the property decides to burn the house down with a strike or job action.

Not that it matters in the above as I'm sure there would be a job action whether it is legal or not, but does anyone know as FACT as to when or even if a union can legally strike under the 1113 process? From what I understand, there is no legal precedent.
[post="201042"][/post]​
The mechanics aren't striking....FYI, Amfa Local 9 has posted their interpretation of the 1113 process, whether it's accurate or not I do not know... ;)

Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that. I thought AMFA would be one of the first pulling out the strike card. I read the AMFA proposal a few days ago and saw two things that I thought would be pretty much unacceptable to you guys: Foreign outsourcing of heavy maintenance and out of seniority furloughs. Although I do not have a deep understanding of the mechanics' work rules, I thought for sure if those weren't negotiated away over the up and coming 50 days, there would be trouble.

Post AMFA's interpretation of the 1113 process. I would imagine it would be accurate if AMFA put it out on their website.

ualdriver said:

[post="201042"][/post]​
actually the strike vote is for a chaos action... that is striking at individual flights at the time and place of the unions choosing, not a strike of all the members at the same time...will it work, time will tell

Is anyone really surprised by this? This is what it's going to come down to folks before it's all said and done. Each union, and actually each employee, will have to ask themself: is this really worth it for me? At some point, the answer is going to be a resounding "No" for many people. The question becomes is it enough to push one or more unions into striking should the contracts be abrogated. If that happens, United's days are numbered. It's not a rational solution. It's more of cutting off your nose to spite your face. But history tells us that if you push a workforce too far, it can certainly happen. These current cuts being sought are a hard dose of reality for us all. But ya know what, there will be more before it's all over with. This is not the final bite at the apple. All it does is buy the company time.

Listen if you guys vote yes on this next concession you are NUTS you may as well just give them your contract, I would and will never vote yes on something as radical as this, United Executives have NO idea about how to run and Airline they will just take away your contract and then end up liquidating anyway sooner or later.

If or should I say when this comes to AA I will be encouraging a strike, why not go out in a blaze of glory like the flight attendants are talking about doing. :D

There are some things you just can't except and farming out ALL Maintenance and total loss of seniority and pension are some of them. :angry:

hmmmm, seems to me that our biggest cheerleaders DO NOT work at United. Go F yourselves. Amazing!

Whatever we choose to do will effect all of you.....understand?

Why the hell would ANY airline employee support this move? Don't you realize that if there was an industrywide strike that the legal backlash would be severe - I cringe at the thought of what a GOP President & Congress would do to American labor laws in the aftermath of such a job action.

Besides, striking AFA members only translate to more flying business for non-AFA represented FAs (e.g., DL/CO/NW/AA), as the AFA carriers go bankrupt or liquidate in short order.

ualdriver said:
Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that. I thought AMFA would be one of the first pulling out the strike card. I read the AMFA proposal a few days ago and saw two things that I thought would be pretty much unacceptable to you guys: Foreign outsourcing of heavy maintenance and out of seniority furloughs. Although I do not have a deep understanding of the mechanics' work rules, I thought for sure if those weren't negotiated away over the up and coming 50 days, there would be trouble.

Post AMFA's interpretation of the 1113 process. I would imagine it would be accurate if AMFA put it out on their website.
[post="201088"][/post]​
95% of the membership mis-understood the senority issue. It referred to letter 94-5 which was job protection under the EFLOP. Anybody with 94 or better senority had job protection. Well that was amended to f**k over 1200 more guys to be adjusted to Jan 1 1990 and further amended to Oct 89. Anybody with that or better had job protection language. This removes ANY job protection language. Article X and EEOC decree still apply for all other senority issues in regards to layoff and options.

It is my understanding that in the event the judge makes NO decision and the company implements it's last offer or the judge abrogates the contract and allows the company to implement it's last offer on the table, BOTH parties are allowed to seek self help (strike from the unions stand point)

Blues` said:
actually the strike vote is for a chaos action... that is striking at individual flights at the time and place of the unions choosing, not a strike of all the members at the same time...will it work, time will tell
[post="201092"][/post]​
Grow up...if your gonna strike, then strike. No Mickey Mouse games....

The Ronin said:
95% of the membership mis-understood the senority issue. It referred to letter 94-5 which was job protection under the EFLOP. Anybody with 94 or better senority had job protection. Well that was amended to f**k over 1200 more guys to be adjusted to Jan 1 1990 and further amended to Oct 89. Anybody with that or better had job protection language. This removes ANY job protection language. Article X and EEOC decree still apply for all other senority issues in regards to layoff and options.

It is my understanding that in the event the judge makes NO decision and the company implements it's last offer or the judge abrogates the contract and allows the company to implement it's last offer on the table, BOTH parties are allowed to seek self help (strike from the unions stand point)
[post="201307"][/post]​
I do not know what to think. All iI know is I am scared like the rest of the industry. We blame Management....all the time. Why dont we also blame government. The oil industry needs to be regulated. Why should they make over a Billion in profit and Airlines...families and other companies go bankrupt because they can not afford the oil prices.

I do not know what to do but I think any kind of work action or strike would hurt every employee more than help

Latest posts