Age 60 (bk Reality, Legislation, Alpa Poll)

SmoothRide

Aug 25, 2002
I would like to know the member's feelings about pending Age 60 legislation (SB 65, HR 65) to raise pilot retirement ages, how it and the new BK reality will affect opinions voiced in the ALPA straw poll taken last spring on the subject. Also, does anybody REALLY feel confident that the other pending pension relief legislation will keep defined benefit plans from ultimately being assumed by the PBGC down the road?

In analysing ALPA's polling results, it appeared that if you were younger than about 50, an FO or perceived your retirement and/or financial security was not/would not be in jeopardy, you voted NO.

Speaking personally, I handcarried my written comments and vocal opinion to my Senator and Representative's offices this past week. I believe a trainwreck is looming down the track and Congress is very distracted by a lot of other issues. I was allowed about 20-25 minutes time with a staffer since Congress was not in session.

I suggest that if you have an opinion, it is VITAL that you get off your ass and be proactive. If you wring your hands and throw them up in dispair, but do nothing, then you deserve nothing. This industry and it's many occupations are at a crossroads.