aircraft maint?

paul1

Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
How many guys work aircraft maint. and what is the extent of how much work you do i.e 'B' checks only or 'C' checks

US does all the A, B, C and Q(overhaul check) on all the B737 family aircraft, as well as the A, B, C and S(overhaul) checks on the A320 family aircraft.

Also some of the 757 HMV are done in-house, all the A330 annual HMV and S-Checks are farmed out.

The last IAM M&R CBA, maintains that 50% of maintenance must be done in-house and 50% can be farmed out.

thank you

how many mechanics are employed and a ruff seniority date i.e. 20yrs 30 yrs

Do the big carriers do maintenance for other airlines? If so, did US ever entertain that idea?.....
DL and AA have been the last to do that to a large degree, although AA has cut back some. It's relatively common for a carrier which has maintenance at an airport to provide on-call maintenance to other carriers serving that airport which don't have their own maintenance, usually for a fee or per hour per mechanic charge. For example, AS serves DCA with three flights/day so probably doesn't have it's own maintenance personnel in DCA, so they would get on-call maintenance from someone else, probably another carrier serving DCA that does have maintenance personnel there. I wouldn't be surprised if US didn't provide on-call maintenance to at least some other carriers at CLT/PHL/PHX.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
DL and AA have been the last to do that to a large degree, although AA has cut back some. It's relatively common for a carrier which has maintenance at an airport to provide on-call maintenance to other carriers serving that airport which don't have their own maintenance, usually for a fee or per hour per mechanic charge. For example, AS serves DCA with three flights/day so probably doesn't have it's own maintenance personnel in DCA, so they would get on-call maintenance from someone else, probably another carrier serving DCA that does have maintenance personnel there. I wouldn't be surprised if US didn't provide on-call maintenance to at least some other carriers at CLT/PHL/PHX.

Jim

Years ago, US provided below wing service for Midwest Express in BOS. Recall reading that they were very pleased with the service US rampers provided and sent a letter of appreciation. Anyone know where US currently provides service to other airlines today, cust. service, below wing, maintenance, etc?

For some reason, US has never been big on providing service to other airlines; seems it would be a good opportunity to supplement cash especially in some of the out-stations where schedules are thin.
Flew to YVR several years back where AA provided cust service to US.

US does all the A, B, C and Q(overhaul check) on all the B737 family aircraft, as well as the A, B, C and S(overhaul) checks on the A320 family aircraft.

Also some of the 757 HMV are done in-house, all the A330 annual HMV and S-Checks are farmed out.

The last IAM M&R CBA, maintains that 50% of maintenance must be done in-house and 50% can be farmed out.

All the little Bus "S' checks are not done in house, the company uses a couple different outside vendors to do the work along with HVM in PIT. Lately when a plane is broke bad, the company farms the aircraft out to a vendor and the union collects "billable hours". Still cannot figue that one out....

Funny thing about the in-house work....I have watched the scheduled MTC for CLT and PIT for a long long time. Pit with only 5 overnighters and say 20 flights a day with a work force that averages over 50 years old gets more work than CLT. Down the road that may change but as of now I can't figure it out. Pit is very understaffed and what are they doing with all the people in CLT...believe it or not folks Pit is dying a slow death but right now the company must be getting one heck of a deal out of this place.

Funny thing about the in-house work....I have watched the scheduled MTC for CLT and PIT for a long long time. Pit with only 5 overnighters and say 20 flights a day with a work force that averages over 50 years old gets more work than CLT. Down the road that may change but as of now I can't figure it out. Pit is very understaffed and what are they doing with all the people in CLT...believe it or not folks Pit is dying a slow death but right now the company must be getting one heck of a deal out of this place.

When the 737 are gone it will leave 3 open bays for the " S " checks to move to CLT. Then PIT will close.
A lot of work done in CLT look at the out of service screen daily. CLT has its share of over 50 Weekly multiple engine changes.