maint?

paul1

Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
How many guys work aircraft maint. and what is the extent of how much work you do i.e 'B' checks only or 'C' checks

How many guys work aircraft maint. and what is the extent of how much work you do i.e 'B' checks only or 'C' checks
We have 6000 AMT's currently. We do 'A' checks at various line stations and PSV checks which are similar to 'C' checks in ATL and MSP. Our HMV or 'D' checks are all outsourced to many different MRO's around the world. We insource 'C' check and mod work into ATL and MSP. We also insource a lot of engine and component work into ATL.

We have 6000 AMT's currently. We do 'A' checks at various line stations and PSV checks which are similar to 'C' checks in ATL and MSP. Our HMV or 'D' checks are all outsourced to many different MRO's around the world. We insource 'C' check and mod work into ATL and MSP. We also insource a lot of engine and component work into ATL.

How many of those 6000 are ex Northwest scabs?

I think we ended up with about 500 NW AMTs with late 2005 hire dates. Most are in DTW and MSP. Some have transfered to other stations. We have also hired a bunch into MSP and some into DTW post merger. ATL also saw a about 200 new hires last year. About half were promoted up from ASM. The rest were from the street.

At the time of the merger, there were almost 1,000 PMNW scabs on payroll and about 5,000 PMDL TechOps employees. Numbers may have changed since then.

edit: Here's an example of the numbers at the time of the merger:

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2009/01/12/daily65.html

At the time of the merger, there were almost 1,000 PMNW scabs on payroll and about 5,000 PMDL TechOps employees. Numbers may have changed since then.

edit: Here's an example of the numbers at the time of the merger:

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2009/01/12/daily65.html
Those numbers were for more than just AMTs. The combined AMT list was somewhere around 4500 when we merged. Last month it topped 6000.

I think we ended up with about 500 NW AMTs with late 2005 hire dates. Most are in DTW and MSP. Some have transfered to other stations. We have also hired a bunch into MSP and some into DTW post merger. ATL also saw a about 200 new hires last year. About half were promoted up from ASM. The rest were from the street.

Not all the scabs have 2005 hire dates either. There were quite a few PMNW scabs that had pretty good seniority that crossed as well.

But how much are they paying in outsourcing?
According to DOT data which all US airlines report, DL spends about 1 cent per ASM on maintenance which is the lowest among the network carriers and lower than many low fare carriers. The figures include all maintenance costs - inhouse and outsourced. Based on DL's capacity, that means DL spends about $2B per year to maintain its fleet. Obtaining $500M in insourcing revenue means that DL is earning $1 in insourcing revenue for every $4 it spends to maintain its own fleet.
It also means that since DL has lower maintenance costs/ASM than even younger, low fare carriers, DL has figured out the right mix of insourcing vs. outsourcing.

Fuzzy math, they are still paying more for maintenance than they earn in insourcing.

Nice try though.

How about that engine that exploded on takeoff the other day, wonder if that is outsourced overhaul.

And I dont want your fuzzy math, I want exact dollar amounts, which would be in their 10k, why dont you show us the true costs?

Fuzzy math, they are still paying more for maintenance than they earn in insourcing.

Nice try though.

How about that engine that exploded on takeoff the other day, wonder if that is outsourced overhaul.

And I dont want your fuzzy math, I want exact dollar amounts, which would be in their 10k, why dont you show us the true costs?

The JT8D-219's are done in house. The only mainline motors we dont do ourselves (I believe) are the Trent and the GE-90's on the 777's.

Latest posts

Back