Aircrew Selection

Riptide

Aug 27, 2003
I got a call from my recruiting office today and they're trying to load me on an aircrew selection course for this Sunday, Oct 27. I've been reading through this forum and found some discussions on the topic, but I am wondering if anyone has details about what the Aircrew Selection entails. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself? What can I expect? Thanks, and anything will be a help.

Many moons ago when I trekked to Downsview for aircrew selection, they had us do many tests involving reading spreadsheets, recognizing which aircraft matches which set of instruments, elementary mathematics, etc. There was an oral exam in which the tester would say a number, pause, then say another number. You had to add the two numbers and say the sum. Then he would say a third number, which you add to the second number, and so on and so on. It culminated in a ride on the Link Trainer. I don't know if the Link still exists, but it was the toughest part of the weekend. Most people washed out on that. Maybe someone has some more up to date gen for you.

Thanks for the response, Gannet - outdated or not, it's very much appreciated. Any help is good help.

The tests are similar but updated. The facility is now in Trenton Ontario and the little simulator is no longer a simple coordination tester. You now fly it like an aircraft. They show you how to fly a circuit and then measure how accurate you fly the same circuit in what I believe is a very basic single engine type of machine akin to a C152-ish airplane.

This is word of mouth, I have not been to the new facility. One thing I do know because I worked a summer at the old facility in Toronto, you are all being "watched" so to speak. After the tests, the simulator, any interviews and medical exams are all done, the assesment will include an officers opinion of an applicants potential as an officer. It was rare, but some guys were refused for their "behaviour" while at Aircrew Selection. Loud, sarcastic, boistrous behaviour and being hung over every morning just won't help your cause.

Best of luck.

Thank you Vortex Ring. I am an officer in the Army Reserve and trying for a component transfer - I hope proving I would be a good officer won't be a problem. Thanks for the heads-up on what you know. Any info is a great help.

I've returned from ASC and I am VERY excited to say it went well!! I passed the simulator tests and the doctor says the medical results seem fine and shouldn't pose a problem. So now I play the waiting game!! The board sits tomorrow (Nov4) so there won't be time to get my file to them for this round unfortunately. But, hey, I'm just so happy that I've made it this far - I've waited about 4 years for this opportunity, I think I can wait a little more!! To any of my fellow candidates, congratulations!! And to everyone who posted in this forum, or PM'd me, thanks a lot - your info was a great help.

:D Hey Good Job!!!!!

Don't worry about the waiting game!!! The selection board seems to meet every two months approximately!

I was in the same situation excepts that the recruitment center told me three different versions about where my file was..... :wacko:

But they confirmed to me last week that my file was submitted today to the board and I should have some news this week.

Again congratulations!!!!!!!! :up:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pratt and Ironman.

Ironman, I was told that the selection board met on Nov 4 so you should probably be hearing something really soon. I also know that the next Basic Training in Quebec will be January 12 - a friend of mine from ASC is a Platoon Commander there. So hopefully you'll be loaded on this one. I don't think my file made it to the Nov 4 meeting so I will proably have to wait for the next one...but like I said before, I waited 4 years, a little more time won't hurt! And congratulations on your progress as well. What are you interested in flying? I think it's Aurora for me.

:lol: I heard the same thing about the basic training. One of my friend is doing his now at St-Jean. He told me too that the next trainig would begin in January but wasn't sure!

As for the choice, the same as you multi-engine...Aurora, Challenger, Polaris. The two last would be amazing plane to fly but will see! :p

The last two???

Seems to me tactical flying would be a lot more exciting than watching the DME count down.

:lol: Yeah! Probably!!! But you know someone told me not to think too much about one type of aircraft because in the end it's not entirely your choice.

But I would love to call my plane on the radio «Demon XXX»!!!! :up:

It's sure does have an appealling designation!!!!!!! :D

Oh by the way!!!! Demon you seem to be a pilot on the aurora. I keep reading in the news that most of the aurora's are kept on the ground because of maintenance, inadequate tracking systems, etc...... Is this real?

If I remember one of your very old post, you were saying you were flying almost 600 hours (if I'm not mistaking) a year. Is it still the same.......

PS I just want to say that I was terribly sad about not seeing an Aurora at the Quebec Air Show last summer (August 30-31st). In fact many of the CAF aircraft that should be there were in Toronto the same week-end. :(

Aesop's sit in the back of the tube that conducts ASW by committee. 600 hours / year is pretty good by MAG standards, even for a flying diner driver.

You could do a lot worse than fly the P3 - 50% go helos so steel yourself for that possibility. Either way - fixed or rotary - it's a great way to learn how to fly and you'll never meet a more committed (not mentally unless it's Friday ;-)) group to the job, the country, their Squadron mates, and having fun both at work and at play.

Enjoy your career.

Dragon 8901

Back