Okay, What's Next

Bograt

Aug 17, 2004
Hello everyone,

I just returned from Trenton (ACS) this past August 9-13. I am very happy to say I met the standards for pilot and have been checked out as good to go by the folks in Toronto. I will be signing up as a DEO. I was told by a highly place source that the next selection board is in November, with candidates scheduled to go to the January BOTC in PQ. I guess I need to wait a couple of weeks to get the official word from the recruitment office. I have a couple of questions I hope some of you may be able to answer.

1. How soon could I expect to get an offer and sign the papers? I am currently working now and would like to give my current employer the heads up.

2. When you sign the papers are you immidiately an officer cadet and hence on the payroll?

3. When you are waiting for BOTC, as an Officer Cadet what do you do? (Silly question I know...)

4. I heard rumours that French training for pilots can be put off for a while because of shortages- is this correct?

5. What is BOTC like? What can I do to prepare (i.e. fitness, studying, etc...)

6. I am changing careers rather late in life (I am now 31 and with a young family), any advice?

Thanks,

Once you are enrolled as an Officer Cadet you will be on "Leave without Pay" until you leave for BOTC. So basically you won't have to do anything military until you go. Some people are bypassing the French course before PFT and BFT but will have to do it at some point in their career. I did BOTC at 28 and had no trouble passing. Definitely not a cakewalk but they teach to the lowest common denominator!

Bograt said:
What can I do to prepare (i.e. fitness, studying, etc...)
1. Do whatever seems reasonable to increase or at least maintain your general fitness level (especially distance running/jogging, push-ups, chin-ups, and sit-ups).

2. If you don't know how to spit-shine shoes, and iron shirts and trousers, learn. Sure, you can learn these things during BOC (you'll have plenty of practice!), but if you can hit the ground running, you'll be that much farther ahead; and first impressions tend to stick.

3. I would not worry about studying: the written examinations are not particularly difficult, and in any case you would have difficulty obtaining the necessary references.

Back