bring new employees up to speed on a
particular job function. If the people who
are currently doing the jobs were to leave
in large numbers, the company would sink
like a stone in a matter of weeks.

[post="274712"][/post]​
Are you talking about Christmas?

lostplanetairman said:
I'll drop out now. You don't have clue about the real business world in which the rest of us (and I am a paying customer for business--at a CP level) live. You think payroll and accounting are mindless; so mindless that anyone can do them without training? I would not insult your profession that way. I have lived through mergers and have seen the need to offer retention incentives in order to keep things flowing. Otherwise everyone would leave and the shop would shut down. I don't post a lot and won't from now on because some of you just don't want to have a meaningful dialogue.
[post="274262"][/post]​

If you can't take the heat...try colder climates. B)

PineyBob said:
No challenge needed. Nursing is OUT OF CONTROL with opportunity right now and I agree it surpasses IT rather quickly. I won't tell you what my friend makes as a Level I Trauma Nurse. The point is when you step outside the unique & specific skills of the airline biz it's tough to keep people that have marketable skills. Examples are the two we mentioned. IT & Nursing just for 2 categories.
[post="274738"][/post]​

Nursing, maybe. IT? Heck, no. Unless you need to be physically present to do something, you are at risk to be offshored. I know this from direct experience.

5 years ago, IT was as you describe. Now, it's a crapshoot at best--unless you directly support or have touchpoints with customers. Or enjoy time on airlines and have project management skills.

PITbull said:
If you can't take the heat...try colder climates. B)
[post="274764"][/post]​

No, thanks. I'll just devote my energy to discussing issues with those who can respond with something other than insults.

Spin Doc
YUP, I guess i'm that stupid. I guess I'm so stupid that I still don't understand why all that mangement will leave right now if they don't get that all important retention bonus. Why they have decided to stick it out this long with all those headhunters begging them to go where the grass is greener. Give me a quick lesson in management 101 that teaches the princples of how demoralizing the employees that deal directly with the public with pay cuts, cuts in insurance, station closings, ect. then slaps these same hard working employees in the face by giving retention bonuses to this all needed mangement is good business. Fill me in, in simple terms that that even stupid me can understand. And while your at it, tell me, where in mangement 101 is the lesson showing that calling other people "stupid" will explain a position to be respected by any. :(

UNACCEPTABLE:

The retention program has three parts: new employment contracts for the top 25 executives; a new severance plan for nearly 1,900 other salaried workers; and a discretionary fund that the company can use as an added incentive to stay.

The new executive employment contracts call for executive vice presidents and senior vice presidents, who would earn up to $317,000, to receive severance of double their annual salary and bonus as well as health care for a year and a half and lifetime travel benefits.

If those leaders were offered a job at America West's headquarters in Arizona but chose not to accept, they would receive only one year's salary and bonus and the other benefits.

Vice presidents, who would earn up to $251,000 a year, would receive one year's pay and bonus as severance. If they were offered a job in Arizona and chose not to accept, they would receive no severance.

The severance plan for salaried workers would guarantee they would receive at least three months' pay, in the event their jobs are eliminated. Depending on experience, managers could receive up to one year's pay, and other salaried workers could receive up to six months' pay.

A $5 million discretionary fund would allow the airline to pay up to $50,000 apiece to certain workers as an added incentive to stick with the company.

Charlotte Observer (Free Subscription)

700UW said:
UNACCEPTABLE:
Charlotte Observer (Free Subscription)
[post="274794"][/post]​
Unacceptable, this is down right criminal, this mismanagement team keeps telling us how smart they are, how about if they stand in the unemployment line with the rest of us. I don't see any labor every day Joe, getting a retention bonus. Let's see how smart you mismanagement animals are in the real world.

Back