Airlines Stricken By Cancellations/lack Of Fuel

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
August 31, 2005
Carriers Are Stricken by Cancellations and Lack of Fuel
By MICHELINE MAYNARD
The airline industry felt the brunt of Hurricane Katrina yesterday, with some airports running low on jet fuel and carriers canceling hundreds of flights. Meanwhile, Wall Street feared that the financial problems of the sickest airlines could grow worse.

The industry's trade group, the Air Transport Association, said the nation's supply of jet fuel had been cut 13 percent because of damage to refineries on the Gulf Coast.

The association arranged for supplies of jet fuel to be shipped by air tanker to airports in Charlotte, N.C., and Fort Myers and West Palm Beach in Florida, where supplies had dwindled, the group's chief economist, John Heimlich, said yesterday.

The group also planned to send jet fuel by tanker truck as well as plane to other airports, Mr. Heimlich said. Of particular concern are supplies at two big airports -Hartsfield, serving Atlanta, and Dulles, serving Washington. Both airports generally rely on supplies from refineries in Louisiana and in Memphis.

Complicating matters is the coming Labor Day weekend, which wraps up the summer travel season and is generally the last period of strong travel for the airlines until Thanksgiving. Car travel is also heavy then.

And with gasoline selling for upward of $3 a gallon in some parts of the country, versus $1.88 for jet fuel, Mr. Heimlich said the airlines were worried that refineries might choose to produce gasoline rather than jet fuel, which would be less in demand.

Yesterday, airports serving New Orleans and Gulfport-Biloxi in Mississippi remained closed, while operations at the airport in Jackson, Miss., were curtailed. The Federal Aviation Administration said it expected operations to resume in New Orleans today, although it could not predict when Gulfport-Biloxi would reopen.

Despite the reopening, some airlines, like United, canceled flights to New Orleans through tomorrow; US Airways canceled flights there through Saturday.

Delta Air Lines said it had canceled as many as 300 flights throughout the South, and AirTran, a low-fare carrier, said it had canceled about 190 since the weekend.

But industry analysts said the cancellations would not hurt the airlines' finances, since they could accommodate those passengers eventually.

The bigger concern, they said, was another rise in jet fuel prices, already at the highest level in history, up 53 cents a gallon this year. Contracts based on the future price of jet fuel spiked yesterday; in Los Angeles, usually the most expensive market across the country for jet fuel, the price closed at $2.24 a gallon.

That is a particular worry for Delta, which has warned it could seek bankruptcy protection because of a cash squeeze. The airline has said each rise of a penny in the price of jet fuel costs it $25 million.

With jet fuel prices up 53 cents so far this year, Delta is paying $1.35 billion more for fuel than it anticipated.

Airline shares fell yesterday. Delta shares was down 7 cents, to $1.20. Northwest lost 25 cents, to $4.94, and AMR, the parent of American, dropped 71 cents to $12.69.

usair_begins_with_u said:
There's no shortage.. its all just bush and cheney trying to make a quick buck...
:lol:
[post="294995"][/post]​

You can bet your bottom dollar Haliburton will get juicy contracts on the rebuilding efforts (refinery, off shore oil, catering, temp housing) in the Gulf states. This is off topic, but I have to say it: Where the F is BUSH! He should be more visible and should be touring the devistated areas, being Presidential and offering moral support. What's going on in Miss and MSY is our tsunami. He's living up to the term "lame duck" more and more these days.

Theere is a difference in speculation and a fundamental event that reduces about 30% of this countries refining capacity and its effect on supply and demand/energy prices. To suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot, this has been coming for years. Americans as a whole are about to get a huge wake-up call on its inability to process crude oil. Nobody wants a refinery in their backyard..aka NIMBY. Can't process it, can't use it, there will be a shortage and subsequent sky high prices. Sadly, I believe the catastrophic event in the Gulf coast will be the decisive push of the dominoes that will start a recession. Housing prices, oil, pretty much everything is about to change in this country. People are going to be buckling down big time with spending...hence, travel and tourism is about to take a huge hit...again.

It seems as if NYMEX traders located on the Hudson River are pulling back on Crude Oil Prices for the October contract. In early trading prices for the October Futurres contract is down 51 cents to $69.30. I find it interesting that with a catastrophic event that energy prices have not seen a major run-up.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Gasoline prices, which jumped 20 percent a day earlier, were trading up 6.55 cents at $2.54 a gallon, setting their third successive record high.

Gasoline has led the market's rally as traders fear it will be far harder to make up for any lost fuel than for crude, especially if any of the refineries now idled are damaged.

Stockpiles of the auto fuel are already unusually low and refiners have been working flat out to meet strong demand, which has yet to be substantially slowed by record costs.

Heating oil futures also traded up to a new peak at $2.01 per gallon, up 1.16 percent on the day.

Damage reports
Over 1.4 million barrels per day (bpd) of crude production -- about 7 percent of domestic demand -- were still shut the day after Katrina tore through the Gulf.

Royal Dutch Shell said an aerial inspection of its giant Mars oil and gas platform indicated some damage to its upper deck. Two of its drilling rigs were adrift.

At least six other drilling companies, including Ensco (Research) and Transocean (Research) reported rigs adrift after the storm, raising the prospect that dragging anchors or moorings might tear apart vital sub-sea pipelines.

Newfield Exploration Co. (Research) said it had lost one of its production platforms in the eastern Gulf.

On the refining side, a U.S. senator who flew over southeastern Louisiana Tuesday said three facilities belonging to Murphy Oil (Research) and Exxon Mobil Corp. (Research) were "under water." Flooding is a serious risk for refineries.

Valero Energy Corp. (Research) said its 250,000-bpd refinery near New Orleans did not incur serious damage and should be operating again in two weeks. A total of nine refineries were shut down and four more were running at reduced rates.

Among offshore operators, Kerr McGee (Research) resumed oil and natural gas production at two facilities in the western U.S. Gulf, while BP (Research) and Marathon Oil (Research) said early assessments showed no damage.

The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port, which handles a tenth of U.S. crude imports, said initial damage reports were encouraging and it hoped to begin shipments Thursday.

There is a problem, but watch for the media to put a glass half empty spin on it.
700, thanks for the recap.

When was the last refinery built?...something like 20yrs ago?

Saw a TV report about a company (I think in AZ) that has tried for 10 or more years to build a ref. Seems they have failed. They can't jump through all the hoops. Even said they were willing to change locations but to no have had no success.

usair_begins_with_u said:
There's no shortage.. its all just bush and cheney trying to make a quick buck...
:lol:
[post="294995"][/post]​

SpinDoc Replies:

I wouldn't go so far as to say G.W. and his
boy Richard Cranium are directly profiting
from the gouging that is going on across
the East Coast, but I would say that their
"friends" at the helm of Big Oil are certainly
profiting to the tune of BILLIONS. I say
FUG THEM ALL. How dare you take advantage
of a bad situation.

C'mon you greedy basterds. Do the right thing
and be a part of the SOLUTION, don't continue
to add to the problem. I'm sick of the abuse
that has been placed upon the people of this
country by Big Oil. Build the GD refineries,
and stop taking obscene profits.

I find it interesting that with a catastrophic event that energy prices have not seen a major run-up.

It was obvious to most in the game Bush would open up the strategic oil reserves.. Float some extra oil, and at least stablize crude oil prices.. Whereas, nothing could be done about refined products like jet fuel or gas... thats why you probably noticed a large movement in processed petrolium product prices today, yet saw little movement on crude.

cirrus said:
When was the last refinery built?...something like 20yrs ago?

Saw a TV report about a company (I think in AZ) that has tried for 10 or more years to build a ref.  Seems they have failed.  They can't jump through all the hoops.  Even said they were willing to change locations but to no have had no success.
[post="295341"][/post]​
There's the problem..........with refineries producing at 98% of capacity it doesn't matter how much oil they get. Tell the environmentalists and the lawyers to get out of the way. Start drilling of the coast of Calif. and in ANWAR.

Gas has hit $6 a gallon in Atlanta.

I saw a 40 cent increase from this afternoon till tonight in my town from $2.69 t $2.99 for 87 octane.

Heard they are going to start rationing gasoline again, remember the odd and even days from the Jimmy Carter days.

It will probably push FlyI out of businees and DL and NWA to file chapter 11.

700UW said:
Gas has hit $6 a gallon in Atlanta.

I saw a 40 cent increase from this afternoon till tonight in my town from $2.69 t $2.99 for 87 octane.

Heard they are going to start rationing gasoline again, remember the odd and even days from the Jimmy Carter days.

It will probably push FlyI out of businees and DL and NWA to file chapter 11.
[post="295399"][/post]​

Hopefully it will level off at about $5 a gallon. At that point, you will offer to pay anyone servicing your home or auto an extra $5 per trip. And hopefully, the airlines will be smart enought to charge over and above the cost of a pretzel and the oil it actually costs to fly someone from point a to b. Oh yeah, and maybe, finally, we can start to dig, burrow, scrape, and drill the actual oil out of the ground this fine country actually has, snail darters be damned. Greeter.