Jet Fuel Information

The moment it costs more to fly than it does to drive, people will drive, leaving lots of empty seats, driving up the costs even more. It has been well proven over time that when airfares go up, people don't take as many discretionary trips, like the last minute weekend trip to go shopping in NYC, gambling in LAS, or flying instead of driving for the annual vacation to Disneyworld.

Pretty much without exception, up until 2005, North American carriers had fleets built around a business model with $30 oil. With oil at $60, and projected to climb, you'd think that carriers would be disposing of aircraft at record rates and being a little more restrained at adding capacity. Yet even with all the aircraft dumped by the bankruptcy sisters, domestic capacity continues to grow...

One reason Euro-LCC's have done so much better at passing along the price of fuel is because a) there are fewer cars per capita, b) because you have so many island nations and destinations, there are costs other than fuel to consider when going on holiday (ferry's aren't cheap, and neither are tolls in France), and c) it still costs considerably more for auto gas in Europe than it does in North America. When you look at all those factors combined, the price differential for flying vs. driving is still well in flying's favor.

That's just not the case in the US. Even with the run up in fuel prices, we still have relatively cheap gas, and a great system of interstate highways which make it possible to go from coast to coast in three days without paying a dime in tolls or having to drive aboard a ferry. Plus, I'd bet we have more cars per capita than any other country in the world, and certainly more personally owned vehicles suitable for a 18+ hour drive in relative comfort.

Case and point: it was cheaper and more convenient for me and my family to drive from Texas to Chicago for Christmas than it was to fly. Given the hassle-factor of dealing with the TSA, and the hassles of renting a car with all of the extra fees the rental car companies have imposed, it was simpler to endure 18 hours on the road where everyone had the option of their own video or MP3 player, freshly laundered pillows and blankets, and hot food without having to pay F service charges.

Southwest figured out a long time ago that the car was their biggest competition, and they're right on the money. But even WN is showing signs that they're losing that battle, which is probably why you see them moving into more and more point to point markets where driving isn't as convenient of an option for most people.

"Case and point: it was cheaper and more convenient for me and my family to drive from Texas to Chicago for Christmas than it was to fly. Given the hassle-factor of dealing with the TSA, and the hassles of renting a car with all of the extra fees the rental car companies have imposed, it was simpler to endure 18 hours on the road where everyone had the option of their own video or MP3 player, freshly laundered pillows and blankets, and hot food without having to pay F service charges."

The only way it could be cheaper for an AA employee is if you were flying relatives who feel under D3. Otherwise a family of lets say four would cost $148 in first. Free if you are in coach. What were the fuel costs for this trip? What about hotels? What about the wear and tear on your car? Hassle, I'll put up with the hassle at the airport if it means I don't have to drive 18 hours.

]The only way it could be cheaper for an AA employee is if you were flying relatives who feel under D3. Otherwise a family of lets say four would cost $148 in first. Free if you are in coach. What were the fuel costs for this trip? What about hotels? What about the wear and tear on your car?

Fuel came out to less than $280 round trip, thanks to lower prices in Oklahoma and Missouri. Meals were a wash, as we only stopped for dinner. Drove thru the middle of the night in one direction, which eliminated the hotel expense (not to mention noise from the kids), and stayed with family mid-way on the return trip, eliminating the other hotel.

By flying, we:

A) didn't have to ship the dog in a kennel @ $150 (leaving her at a kennel here would have been even more expensive). Employees pay the same rate as revenue customers. Also didn't have to pay for a $40 vet checkup to get tranquilizers and make sure the dog was OK for travel.

B) avoided $40 in airport parking for ten days.

C) didn't have to pay at least $100 in excess/oversize bag fees to ship gifts to/from Chicago, since employees now pay the same rates for excess as revenue customers.

D) avoided renting a car, as borrowing cars from family wasn't an option, saving at least another $150 for ten days.

Total for flying -without- surcharges, $380. So, we saved $100 or so, and didn't have to worry nearly as much about how much we did or didn't take with us.

Hassle, I'll put up with the hassle at the airport if it means I don't have to drive 18 hours.

And I'll gladly put up with the hassle of being able to leave whenever I want to, as opposed to being held hostage to a flight schedule and whether or not there are five seats available on a flight.

Fuel came out to less than $280 round trip, thanks to lower prices in Oklahoma and Missouri. Meals were a wash, as we only stopped for dinner. Drove thru the middle of the night in one direction, which eliminated the hotel expense (not to mention noise from the kids), and stayed with family mid-way on the return trip, eliminating the other hotel.

By flying, we:

A) didn't have to ship the dog in a kennel @ $150 (leaving her at a kennel here would have been even more expensive). Employees pay the same rate as revenue customers. Also didn't have to pay for a $40 vet checkup to get tranquilizers and make sure the dog was OK for travel.

B) avoided $40 in airport parking for ten days.

C) didn't have to pay at least $100 in excess/oversize bag fees to ship gifts to/from Chicago, since employees now pay the same rates for excess as revenue customers.

D) avoided renting a car, as borrowing cars from family wasn't an option, saving at least another $150 for ten days.

Total for flying -without- surcharges, $380. So, we saved $100 or so, and didn't have to worry nearly as much about how much we did or didn't take with us.
And I'll gladly put up with the hassle of being able to leave whenever I want to, as opposed to being held hostage to a flight schedule and whether or not there are five seats available on a flight.

You did'nt factor in the wear and tear on your car. Over 2000 miles worth of wear and tear. Wonder what the actaul "savings" really was. What about the time spent in the car, how much is your time worth? The first two flights from DFW to ORD are at 6:00AM and 7:00AM. Say you took the 7:00AM flight. It gets in at 9:00AM. By the time you get your bags and car you will probably be leaving the airport at 10:00-10:30AM. Depending where your family lives in Chicago you could be at their house between 11:00-11:30AM.

Compare that with driving 18 hours. Say you leave at 6:00AM, you will be pulling in at midnight. Don't know about you but I'm usully wiped out after driving exteneded periods. Also, don't take this the wrong way, but spliting the driving on an 18 hour trip is dangerous. Split two ways that's still nine hours of driving coped up in a car.

Well, I guess my wife and I are used to long distance driving, since our vacations usually involves RV'ing in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming.

Sure there's some wear and tear, but my Cummins engine has a life expectancy of 300,000 miles, so I guess I'm not too concerned about the 2000 or so miles. Seeing America at ground level is far more interesting to me than speed or seeing clouds...