Airport Security Fees

Beer Guzzler

Advanced
May 20, 2005
Atlanta, GA
aogdesk.org
The chairman of the House aviation subcommittee, Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.), will try to convince the airline industry in the next few weeks to pay an additional $6 billion in aviation security fees over three years in order to raise money to install baggage-screening technology at airports.

Mica said he would like to increase the aviation security fees to raise money for “in- lineâ€￾ installation of explosive detection system (EDS) equipment. This means the equipment would be integrated into an airport’s baggage handling process. So far, the airline industry has expressed little interest in working with Mica. “Their initial response was negative, but some [airlines] say we should look at it,â€￾ he said. “I am trying to find the way to finance the deployment as soon as possible.â€￾ Airlines have raised fares seven times between February and June and therefore could absorb higher fees (????), according to Mica. One possibility is for the government to take the money out of general revenues or the Airport Improvement Program, but that would be hard to do, he said.

Airlines to Be Asked to Pay Billions to Detect Bombs in Luggage

This is wrong.. Airport security should be funded by the airport or private investors.

This IDIOT Rep. John Mica :angry: has the nerve to say and I quote, "Airlines have raised fares seven times between February and June and therefore could absorb higher fees." This guy needs to pull his head from his rectum and read the news. 7 fare increases & airlines can absorb the higher fees. What is he thinking!

The Airline industry has lost billions of $$$ in the last 4-5 years and this googan wants to tack on another $6 Billion in fees. I hope this idiot (1) fails to get re-elected & (2) I hope this bill fails miserably.

What are they going to dump on airlines next? Maybe airlines can be responsible for paving the runways too! :angry:

I wonder why they can't draw from the fat airport improvement fund? It's not like this wouldn't be an improvement and they're not going spend it all on ATC upgrades anytime soon.

Mica is correct, the airlines should pay for what they use.

And the airlines should then pass these costs (or not!) on to their customers. That is why airfare pricing experts get paid to decide.

For cargo, airlines are charging .13 cents per kg for security and .45 cents per kg for fuel and the customers pay the fee. Because the service is valued and perceived as fair.

(a kg is a kilogram which equals 2.2 pounds)

Latest posts

Back