Allegheny to close base at airport

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
On Thursday, August 7, the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin wrote, "But we were informed that this is a restructuring of how US Airways is going to conduct its maintenance work systemwide," Broome County Commissioner of Transportation Carl G. Olson said. "It's not about being in Binghamton or not being in Binghamton. They're going to begin contracting out a much larger portion of their regular aircraft maintenance work to private companies," he said.

US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa would not say whether maintenance bases at other locations also would be closing. "Our office anticipates similar actions at other US Airways maintenance facilities systemwide," Olson said.

The closing will not affect Allegheny flight service at Greater Binghamton Airport, Kudwa said. Allegheny Airlines operates as a US Airways Express carrier at the airport.

Allegheny to close base at airport
About 40 employees to lose jobs in September
TOWN OF MAINE (Press & Sun-Bulletin) - Allegheny Airlines is closing its maintenance base at Greater Binghamton Airport/Edwin A. Link Field to reduce costs and increase its competitive position, a US Airways spokeswoman said.
Complete Story: http://www.pressconnects.com/friday/busine...803s21370.shtml

Chip you need to make corrections, US Airways is not farming our nor shutting mtc bases, it is Alleghany.

Lavman, I enjoy your posts. Alegheny is a wholly owned part of the USAiways Group, as is USAirways, they (Allegeheny) jump at what the group tells them to, they operate the routes, man the stations, return leased aircraft, etc. as the group tells all the CEOs of of he owned airlines to do. Allegheny does their own routine mtc. ike mainline and the others in the group they have "on-call" maintenance at stations without airline techs. These on-call techs must be trained on log procedures and be in an approved FAA drug program. If the Group tell one of its airlines to meet certain criteria, they do it, so look at the board and the control comming from the Group. We are all in ths together.
The 40 emloyees in BGM of Alegheny have the option to remain with th airline and take positins in other stations. If they decide to stay with the airline they will "bump" other employees with less seniority onto the street. Yes someone will suffer. Ithink we all in the Airways Groups' airlines have suffered enough. Keep up the good provacatve and informtive posts!!!
10.gif

Lavman:

Lavman said: Chip you need to make corrections, US Airways is not farming our nor shutting mtc bases, it is Alleghany.

Chip answers: Lav, I simply quoted text from the article.

Best regards,

Chip

Chip,

It is the same old sh$$ with this airline. THREATS,THREATS, THREATS. If Dave farms out the heavy airbus checks then I hope the mechanics shut down this airline for good. We are feed up with all this sh$$.

<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cat 111:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cat 111 said: "It is the same old sh$$ with this airline. THREATS,THREATS, THREATS. If Dave farms out the heavy airbus checks then I hope the mechanics shut down this airline for good. We are feed up with all this ####"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>Robert Roach letter to Dave Siegel said: "The IAM will take whatever measures are necessary to protect any and all work that should be performed by IAM-represented mechanics at US Airways. As a major dispute, this will include, but is not limited to, seeking a Temporary Restraining Order, injunctive relief, withdrawing our services as provided by law, and/or whatever other legal action may be necessary."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>Chip comments: Per the RLA, if US Airways sub-contracts A320 family overhaul, if the IAM-141-M believes this action violates their contract, they can file an expedited grievance and request a major dispute be declared. It is my understanding a major dispute takes about 60 days to conclude, and if the Board of Arbitration issues an Opinion and Award in favor of the IAM's position, then the machinists would be free to seek "self help". If the Board of Arbitration rules in favor of the company, then US Airways could legally use a third party vendor to perform the work, for example a company like Timco. Moreover, if the Board rules in favor of the company, then the IAM would not be permitted to conduct any job action and if they did, this  would then be considered illegal union activity.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>That's my understanding of the proceeding, but it would be best to consult legal counsel for an experts opinion in regard to labor relations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>Best regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face=Arial size=2>Chip  </FONT></DIV>

----------------
On 8/10/2003 10:05:48 PM cat 111 wrote:

Chip,

It is the same old sh$$ with this airline. THREATS,THREATS, THREATS. If Dave farms out the heavy airbus checks then I hope the mechanics shut down this airline for good. We are feed up with all this sh$$.

----------------​

Cat,
I feel the exact same way on this issue of the mechanics, and I'm a flight attendant.

LukeSkywalker said:
I heard that all WO's will soon be merged into one. Is this the truth?
It started months ago....the SSO ALG will be calling the ball."Flaps down,gear down, I believe I've sighted the runway".

Back