Say Adios To Pit-atl

gso2pit

Advanced
Mar 2, 2004
:down: :angry:
These people in CCY need a mental exam and a brain scan. How can you be so stupid as to put more traffic on PHL?
The routes, operated by Trans States Airlines, a commuter carrier for US Airways Express, will end Aug. 2, said Amy Kudwa, US Airways spokeswoman.

A US Airways Express worker who didn't wish to be named said the flights usually are full.

The airline also announced it is eliminating the nonstop availability from Pittsburgh to Seattle and San Diego on Aug. 21.

Advertisement

US Airways also will remove a Saturday-only Cancun flight on Sept. 10 from its Pittsburgh schedule, but the seasonal flight will return on Oct. 15, Kudwa said.

These cuts will reduce US Airways' Pittsburgh departures from 225 in July to 217 in September, Kudwa said. Staffing and gate leases will not be affected.

Although US Airways remains the dominant carrier at Pittsburgh International, its flight reductions have thrust business onto other carriers. When the midfield terminal opened in 1992, US Airways carried more than 90 percent of all traffic; reports from the airport show that US Airways now carries close to 70 percent of all traffic.

In May, the airline had announced it would cut 12 US Airways Express flights on Aug. 21, besides the nonstop routes to San Diego and Seattle and one of the nonstop flights to Tampa. Flights are being cut to Greensboro, N.C.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Altoona, Franklin and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa.

Pittsburgh travelers still can access Atlanta directly through nine Delta Air Lines and four AirTran Airways flights daily, said JoAnn Jenny, airport spokeswoman.

At the moment, no airlines have picked up the Seattle and San Diego nonstop routes, she said.

well usair just gave delta and airtran more business! this is the sad way but usair just doesnt give a dam about anyone except themselves and this proves it!

gso2pit said:
At the moment, no airlines have picked up the Seattle and San Diego nonstop routes, she said.
[post="280846"][/post]​

You can Bet the Farm, WN is rubbing their hands with glee over this news. US does one thing good...increase business for our competitors, then cry and plead poverty and imminent demise unless labor gives more. It's never anyones fault at CCY......... :down:

I still think there's a chess game going on between U and WN regarding PIT/PHL. Both are trying to get the other to give up on PHL. U is trying harder. When HP really takes over that strategy might change. But there may be SOME idea that U could induce WN to shift its growth prospects more toward PIT and away from PHL. Yes, it would be a marginal shift at best but maybe. All bets are off once Parker takes control

RowUnderDCA said:
I still think there's a chess game going on between U and WN regarding PIT/PHL. Both are trying to get the other to give up on PHL. U is trying harder. When HP really takes over that strategy might change. But there may be SOME idea that U could induce WN to shift its growth prospects more toward PIT and away from PHL. Yes, it would be a marginal shift at best but maybe. All bets are off once Parker takes control

Actually, while US may believe that there is some sort of market share strategy game going on at PIT and PHL, I imagine that Southwest is pretty much just doing its own thing in the two markets. I think that US's actions in the PIT market in the last two years have sent the very clear signal that PIT is no longer a core strategic market for the airline. Southwest chose to enter PHL in 2004, rather than PIT, even though US Airways had already rejected its gate leases at PIT.

I think you can look at Southwest's past behavior and strategy over the past ten to fifteen years to see that they enter new markets with a view to what they can do over the long term. At PHL, even if US Airways were to become a profitable competitor in future, lower fare levels justify the increased capacity Southwest has brought into the market -- and the Philly area can support even more low-fare service than what we've seen so far. Southwest grew and prospered at BWI in spite of Metrojet; they have grown steadily at both PHX and LAS even with the America West hubs in both cities; they maintained a large operation at STL even with TWA's primary hub being there; they have kept approximately 120 daily flights at LAX (and are largely gate-constrained there) even though UA has a hub at LAX and attempted to drive them out of the market with United Shuttle; and they have large operations at OAK, HOU, DAL, and MDW in areas that have large network hubs at cross-town airports.

It's my opinion that Southwest went into PHL and PIT not because they felt that US Airways would shortly go out of business, but rather that the markets could support their service and the competitive response by US would be necessarily muted. Having America West's management running the show at the new US Airways won't change that dynamic, and I think you'll continue to see Southwest gradually expanding at both PHL and PIT.

sfb said:
Actually, while US may believe that there is some sort of market share strategy game going on at PIT and PHL, I imagine that Southwest is pretty much just doing its own thing in the two markets. I think that US's actions in the PIT market in the last two years have sent the very clear signal that PIT is no longer a core strategic market for the airline. Southwest chose to enter PHL in 2004, rather than PIT, even though US Airways had already rejected its gate leases at PIT.

I think you can look at Southwest's past behavior and strategy over the past ten to fifteen years to see that they enter new markets with a view to what they can do over the long term. At PHL, even if US Airways were to become a profitable competitor in future, lower fare levels justify the increased capacity Southwest has brought into the market -- and the Philly area can support even more low-fare service than what we've seen so far. Southwest grew and prospered at BWI in spite of Metrojet; they have grown steadily at both PHX and LAS even with the America West hubs in both cities; they maintained a large operation at STL even with TWA's primary hub being there; they have kept approximately 120 daily flights at LAX (and are largely gate-constrained there) even though UA has a hub at LAX and attempted to drive them out of the market with United Shuttle; and they have large operations at OAK, HOU, DAL, and MDW in areas that have large network hubs at cross-town airports.

It's my opinion that Southwest went into PHL and PIT not because they felt that US Airways would shortly go out of business, but rather that the markets could support their service and the competitive response by US would be necessarily muted. Having America West's management running the show at the new US Airways won't change that dynamic, and I think you'll continue to see Southwest gradually expanding at both PHL and PIT.
[post="281231"][/post]​
And afterward, move swiftly into ATL and CVG.

Latest posts