All's Not Well At Luv

CaptBud330

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Motley Fool
Southwest's Slow Slide
Friday January 21, 2:34 pm ET
By Bill Mann

One of the investing habits I have is tracking the financial performance for companies over long periods of time. It's relatively easy to see how companies have done over the last two or three years -- you need only to pull the most recent 10-K. Some companies, such as Coca-Cola (NYSE: KO - News), put in financial information that goes back a decade -- which can be tremendously helpful in determining how well the company has deployed its capital for long periods of time. I wish more companies did this.
ADVERTISEMENT

I've updated my numbers on Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) -- which, to its credit, gives financial information for the last five years in its 10-K -- following its earnings report earlier in the week. For some unknown reason (let's go out on a limb and call it laziness), I hadn't updated its financial information for two years prior. I have to say that I'm somewhat shocked at how some of the financial statistics at Southwest have declined over the longer term.

I'd say that this is a function of oil prices, but this isn't entirely it. Southwest, which has prided itself (rightfully) on its frugal nature, has seen a steady rise in the amount of total revenues that are consumed paying salaries, wages, and benefits. In 1998, salaries accounted for 30.8% of revenues; in 2004, that number was 37.4%, with the amount consumed gradually increasing during that span. If you count on just the most recent 10-K, you might not see the longer-term degradation here, since you get only 2004, 2003, and 2002, when salaries consumed 33.4%.

You can see the impact of this directly on the operating income line. For 2004, operating revenues for Southwest were $554 million, or 8.5% of total sales. In 1998, the company generated operating revenues of $683 million for an operating margin of more than 16%. So while Southwest has generated substantially more revenue in 2004 than in 1998, it generated less operating profit.

The degradation gets even more extreme when you work from the high point of Southwest's operating profitability: 2000. In that year, the company's operating profit was $1.02 billion on revenues of $5.64 billion, a margin of 18%. Yes, 2001 was a dislocative event for the entire airline industry, but Southwest's 2003 and 2004 results were worse than those in 2001.

We could point to salary creep (or head-count creep) as a direct factor, but really all of Southwest has become less efficient from an operating perspective. In 2001, the company's operating expenses consumed 88.6% of revenue, while in 2005 they consume 91.4%. And again, it's not like 2001 was a bellwether year: In 1998, operations consumed only 83.6%.

For shareholders, this trend is worrying. Southwest, along with its discount brethren JetBlue (Nasdaq: JBLU - News) and AirTran (NYSE: AAI - News), have absolutely tortured the legacy airlines with their low-cost structures. But those costs, at Southwest, at least, seem to be creeping higher. Perhaps this is a sign that the best low-hanging-fruit routes have been plucked; perhaps it's a natural outcropping of an aging employee base that demands more money (again, rightfully so). But the long-term trend for Southwest is pretty ominous.

It's been discussed before over at the WN board, but most of their employees (especially the FAs who were fighting so hard for their raises) don't see it. It's hard to say whether their inability to see it is intentional or not.

The trend is worrisome...at least in the mid- to long-term. Short term, it's not all that bad.

It certainly is salary creep. Southwest employees are treated so well by their management that they never leave and now they expect to be able to send all those grown kids to college, have the summer homes, the nice comfy vacations, etc. that eager youngsters don't think about.

JetBlue won't have that problem. They sign 5 year contracts. Once the senior employees burden their bottom line, they will find themselves unemployed.

One way or the other, the employees ALWAYS get left holding the bag (of ****.)

Bus Driver:

I am not quite sure where you get your information. Yes, JetBlue pilots sign 5 year agreements.... However, they are living documents like leases. They self-renew and can be amended from time to time (like the EMB-190 payrate addendum.) A pilot can only be fired for cause, not the end of the 5 years.

These "rumors" abound. JetBlue does pay for their planes.

The whole industry is in shambles. There WILL be fare increases in the future, especially if fuel stays high.

Boomer

Well, flying into places like PHL costs more than places like ABE.

And in the past few years, it is no secret that WN has expanded heavily into the Northeast. Again, a much more expensive place to operate than say the... Southwest (no pun intended).

What does this have to do with US Airways? Well, if outfits like Southwest want to directly compete with us, then they will have to accept the higher costs of places like PHL, PIT, and so on.

Everyone likes to point a finger at U and frown at our costs, but the fact is that we operate in and out of some of the most expensive airports in the US. That has sheltered us in the past, but in the present day, our competitors are willing to take the hit to go after the revenue that is still there.

The good news is that as they move into our markets their costs go up, while we can only grow into less expensive markets... driving our costs further down.

Like ---> FLL.

Get it...?

SWA[LUV] is becoming a LARGE airline and along with it comes LARGE problems.I'm sure their management is already planning for the increased fuel cost once their hedging contracts expire.They seem to plan farther ahead than the end of their noses.

I think the rumors of WN's imminent demise may be a little bit premature.

If things ever get out of whack, why, they can just shop around for a friendly bankruptcy judge, screw all of the employees, and start from scratch.

What was the ASM cost in the 4th Quarter, anyway?

ELP_WN_Psgr said:
What was the ASM cost in the 4th Quarter, anyway?
[post="241099"][/post]​

7.59 cents

"Total fourth quarter 2004 operating expenses were $1.54 billion, an increase of 9.2 percent, compared to $1.41 billion in fourth quarter 2003. Operating expenses per ASM (CASM) for fourth quarter 2004 decreased 1.3 percent to 7.59 cents, compared to 7.69 cents in fourth quarter 2003. Excluding fuel, CASM for fourth quarter 2004 decreased 4.5 percent to 6.22 cents, compared to 6.51 cents for fourth quarter 2003.

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/prindex.html

Doesn't matter. WN's got a arsenal full to overflowing to use against U, which is crawling naked at this point. Even with U employees prostrating themselves before Lakefield, U's going to grind to a halt, just a few months later. If JetBlew is losing money, or close to it, U doesn't have a prayer.

Winglet said:
Doesn't matter. WN's got a arsenal full to overflowing to use against U, which is crawling naked at this point. Even with U employees prostrating themselves before Lakefield, U's going to grind to a halt, just a few months later. If JetBlew is losing money, or close to it, U doesn't have a prayer.
[post="241116"][/post]​

Sounding a little defensive there! U does have a prayer....that's why there are STILL around and from the looks of it tonite.....they're not going anywhere for a while! And with they're costs dramatically decreasing and their fare sales generating record revenue the flying public seems to agree too! ;)

WN is not going anywhere, the probable result is that over time our costs (and others) will lower as theirs increase, until a balance of sorts is found.

But by then they will have gained as much market share as possible, so that it will not matter...

THEY will be the 800lb gorilla.

Get it...?

Whatnow? said:
Sounding a little defensive there! U does have a prayer....that's why there are STILL around and from the looks of it tonite.....they're not going anywhere for a while! And with they're costs dramatically decreasing and their fare sales generating record revenue the flying public seems to agree too! ;)
[post="241126"][/post]​
U does have a prayer I agree. Here's a question though, how have things changed today from yesterday? Next, how will that affect they way we do business? We know how exactly their costs have decreased, on the backs of labor. With that accomplished what's their plan now?

WN is not going anywhere, the probable result is that over time our costs (and others) will lower as theirs increase, until a balance of sorts is found.

But by then they will have gained as much market share as possible, so that it will not matter...

THEY will be the 800lb gorilla.

But then that is why the transformation plan focuses upon our core markets, may of which WN will not be able to push us out of anymore if our costs are in line...

Add in international growth, alliance revenue, code share revenue, and our srtength in markets that WN will only have limited direct access to (ATA Code)/or must compete from afar with (DCA/LGA/BOS)...

And we actually should be one of the least affected....

PIT is just our version of CLE. CLT and PHL will be our version of PHX when it comes to successfully competing against Southwest Airlines.

Get it...?

ELP_WN_Psgr said:
I think the rumors of WN's imminent demise may be a little bit premature.
[post="241099"][/post]​
Who said anything about imminent? These are the early signs of trouble. If they are recognized and addressed, no problem. If they're ignored, big problem...eventually.

Latest posts

Back