Wn To Close 3 Reservation Centers

DRC is, in fact, a senior center. Was the first center; and is one of the few 24-hour call centers. This is only speculation; but, I wonder if it's being closed because of the salary expenses of the senior employees?!

txskygal said:
Just as a point of fact, AA; these are the first "layoff's at WN! :huh:
No, they're not the first "involutary separations" WN has had. When WN pulled out at SFO and DET, those employees had the option to go over OAK/SJC or DTW without having to move. That wasn't an option for the folks in BPT or DEN. Those agents/rampers had to move or take severance, and I seriously doubt that 100% of the folks in BPT and DEN moved at company expense.

Yes, this was on a far smaller scale than what is happening with the RO's, but you can't deny it has happened before.

It may be a technicality, but when WN bought out Morris, there were another group of people who were "involuntarily separated" in 1993, but since they were non-union and not officially WN employees (despite the fact WN owned Morris at the time), few people noticed. EUG, FAT, PSP, COS, DEN and ANC didn't get integrated into WN's network. Yes, Morris contracted out its ramp handling ithose cities, but IIRC, their check-in was not contracted out.

Also, I'd like to know what defines a paid company move for WN. The company probably pays for the movers, and provides an allowance for things like closing costs or other expenses which come up. But do they buy your house from you if you can't sell it? Highly doubtful for a non-management position...

Former ModerAAtor said:
No, they're not the first "involutary separations" WN has had. When WN pulled out at SFO and DET, those employees had the option to go over OAK/SJC or DTW without having to move. That wasn't an option for the folks in BPT or DEN. Those agents/rampers had to move or take severance, and I seriously doubt that 100% of the folks in BPT and DEN moved at company expense.

Yes, this was on a far smaller scale than what is happening with the RO's, but you can't deny it has happened before.

It may be a technicality, but when WN bought out Morris, there were another group of people who were "involuntarily separated" in 1993, but since they were non-union and not officially WN employees (despite the fact WN owned Morris at the time), few people noticed. EUG, FAT, PSP, COS, DEN and ANC didn't get integrated into WN's network. Yes, Morris contracted out its ramp handling ithose cities, but IIRC, their check-in was not contracted out.

Also, I'd like to know what defines a paid company move for WN. The company probably pays for the movers, and provides an allowance for things like closing costs or other expenses which come up. But do they buy your house from you if you can't sell it? Highly doubtful for a non-management position...
While we're getting hung up on whether or not this is the first "layoff" Southwest has ever had, did any AA folks who were bumping less senior folks in another city have any help from the company to relocate? Were they even given that option?

:eek: Doh! You're right AA; can't believe I completely forgot about DET, DEN and BPT station closings! I concede that point. It's been so long ago that the memory cells slipped!