Alpa Mec Code-a-phone Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - July 16, 2005

This is Jack Stephan with a US Airways MEC update for Saturday, July 16th, with three new items.

Item 1. The MEC convened its special meeting yesterday in Philadelphia and after a receiving a briefing from legal counsel in both open and closed session, passed a resolution by acclamation with regard to Management's disrespect to contract obligations. This resolution is available on the pilots only website under "MEC Information."

In this resolution, the US Airways MEC directed the MEC Chairman to “use whatever lawful resources are necessary to compel US Airways management to honor all the provisions of our Contract, including resolving the MDA transaction dispute in an expeditious manner, and also requested that “the President of ALPA immediately order that all necessary legal resources be utilized to obtain injunctive relief prohibiting the transfer of MDA pilots and assets until such time as a final decision is reached by the System Board of Adjustment.

The MEC also directed the MEC Chairman to utilize all internal and external communication options available to us, including informational picketing, to demonstrate our unwavering resolve to fight and defend our contract from this continued management onslaught of greed and disrespect.

The Special MEC Meeting adjourned on Friday at 4:53 p.m.

Item 2. The MEC Grievance Committee has posted a new grievance update on the pilots only home page. This update contains information on the settlement discussions regarding Deadhead, Vmin, trip and duty rig issues. It also details ALPA's efforts to set a date for arbitrator Krinsky to hear the MDA grievance and the Company’s disregard to comply with the timeline outlined in our contract to begin this process. The Company stated that they cannot comply with our contractual provisions concerning the timeliness of the arbitration process because Jerry Glass will be unavailable as he will be on vacation. Mr. Glass informed ALPA that he will not cancel his vacation to comply with the provisions of our contract with respect to the arbitration timeline. All pilots are urged to read this grievance update on the pilots only website.

Item 3. US Airways filed several motions this week in bankruptcy court. As we have previously reported, on August 9, the bankruptcy court will hold a hearing on whether to approve the Disclosure Statement. ALPA and all other US Airways creditors, investors and unions have until August 2 to review the Disclosure Statement and file any objections they may have to the adequacy of the information in the Disclosure Statement. The Disclosure Statement describes and explains the terms of the Plan of Reorganization. If the Disclosure Statement is approved, it will be sent along with the Plan of Reorganization and ballots to impaired creditors, which are generally creditors who will not be paid in full, for them to vote on it. Following the vote, a confirmation hearing will be held on whether to approve the plan itself. At the August 9th hearing, US Airways will ask the Court to set a confirmation hearing on the Company's plan of reorganization for September 15, with objections to confirmation and ballots due on September 12.

Please remember we now have 1,574 pilots on furlough with approximately 400 pilots currently working at MDA or Jets For Jobs carriers.

Thank you for listening.

USA320Pilot comments: The US Airways MEC by acclamation has requested ALPA International's Legal Department seek immediate injunctive relief "prohibiting the transfer of MDA pilots and assets until such time as a final decision is reached by the System Board of Adjustment." ALPA President Duane Woerth was immediately notified of the MEC's request, and has subsequently informed the MEC that he has begun the legal involvement of ALPA in this issue.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

"If we don't get the 100 million from Republic within the next 2 weeks there is a chance we will have to shut this airline down. We are in the midst of a liquidity crisis brought on by exorbitant fuel prices and a challenging revenue enviornment. ALPA must withdraw their request or risk the liquidation of the airline."

I thought I'd throw out the management response before they had a chance to.

mr

Oh, and 320's response. Well, you all know what it will be.

"If we don't get the 100 million from Republic within the next 2 weeks . . . .

This is not whether the company can sell the airplanes and raise their 100 million. This is about complying with a labor contract. As soon as the company complies with the labor contract that they demanded and signed, then they can have a deal.

Is this AWA merger going to be threatened over this Republic deal? All of the hundreds of millions in new investment by outside parties, the loans, the restructuring, the very survival of not only USAirways, but according to CEO Parker himself, the survival of AWA.

Give me a break.

As the republic deal goes, so goes the rest of the Labor/MGT relationship as the merger continues. If MGT wins this, then get ready for more . . . .

Bus Driver

Gee, maybe the pilots should have stepped up when the company outsourced the airbus instead of flying the planes to ST MAE@BFM and taken a stand then.

Pollack should have remembered he is a union president, not a member of management and should never have been appointed to the BOD, that is a major conflict.

Too little too late now.

Maybe the company can just go before the judge and plead poverty once again, and get the contract broken. That seems to be a favorite tactic lately.... :down:

The judge won't get involved, the company will procede with the sale and ALPA will have to grieve it.

WestCoastGuy said:
Maybe the company can just go before the judge and plead poverty once again, and get the contract broken. That seems to be a favorite tactic lately.... :down:
[post="282291"][/post]​
lots of filing time before september.... :lol: :lol:

700UW said:
Gee, maybe the pilots should have stepped up when the company outsourced the airbus instead of flying the planes to ST MAE@BFM and taken a stand then.

Pollack should have remembered he is a union president, not a member of management and should never have been appointed to the BOD, that is a major conflict.

Too little too late now.
[post="282290"][/post]​

Well said 700.

Bus Driver said:
"If we don't get the 100 million from Republic within the next 2 weeks . . . .

This is not whether the company can sell the airplanes and raise their 100 million. This is about complying with a labor contract. As soon as the company complies with the labor contract that they demanded and signed, then they can have a deal.

Is this AWA merger going to be threatened over this Republic deal? All of the hundreds of millions in new investment by outside parties, the loans, the restructuring, the very survival of not only USAirways, but according to CEO Parker himself, the survival of AWA.

Give me a break.

As the republic deal goes, so goes the rest of the Labor/MGT relationship as the merger continues. If MGT wins this, then get ready for more . . . .

Bus Driver
[post="282289"][/post]​

Bus Driver -

As usual, I agree with your sentiment, but there's much more than meets the eye.

All of us except 58% of the pilots know that nothing is threatened in the way of the merger or financing if ALPA forces the company to live up to the contract.

Unfortunately, those 58% will cave IMMEDIATELY when Lakefield says that the merger/exit financing/etc. are in danger and the doors will close.

Everyone but 58% of the pilots will know it's a bald-faced lie, but the company will prevail as they always will because the 58% will allow the abuse.

Precisely the point of my original post NYC. ALPA has shown some sembelance of intelligence here, as I understand it, led by the PHL reps. Now whether or not they follow through if the company comes back with a threat is the question. And with over 50 percent of the pilots scared to death of Glass and the boys I am very interested to see how this plays out.

This merger is about a boatload of money that can be made on a combined route network that may have a good management. I am anxious to see if that comes to pass. And if ALPA has the guts to stand up to another labor busting tactic that is being promulgated by Republic and aided by the cretins in CCY.

mr

700UW said:

Too little too late now.
[post="282290"][/post]​

Concur. Sort of like Canale and Ford over at UA.

"No man can serve two masters..."

mwereplanes said:
Precisely the point of my original post NYC. ALPA has shown some sembelance of intelligence here, as I understand it, led by the PHL reps. Now whether or not they follow through if the company comes back with a threat is the question. And with over 50 percent of the pilots scared to death of Glass and the boys I am very interested to see how this plays out.

This merger is about a boatload of money that can be made on a combined route network that may have a good management. I am anxious to see if that comes to pass. And if ALPA has the guts to stand up to another labor busting tactic that is being promulgated by Republic and aided by the cretins in CCY.

mr
[post="282318"][/post]​

Labor Busting? you must be kidding... CHQ is purchasing aircraft and taking J4J pilots per agreement. How is that Labor Busting?

Amazing the intellegence.

The time for you to make a stand was when MAA was created, not now when its sold!

You obviously don't understand the difference in change of control vs. purchase of aircraft. Since when did a simulator and operating certificate grow wings? Nor do you understand LOA 91 that the company is ignoring. If you did you wouldn't make foolish stqtements. And you would recognize labor busting when it smacks you in the face. Amazing the intelligence indeed.

The stand should have been made LONG before MDA was formed but for the spineless pilots at U that did not happen. Kind of like flying an EMB for the same money as selling cars. Talk about making a stand.

We shall see if ALPA has the guts now. I'm betting they don't.

mr