alpa update jan 31

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Friday, January 31, with four new items:
Item 1. US Airways yesterday filed a formal notice with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) and in U.S. Bankruptcy Court of its intent to terminate the pilots’ defined benefit pension plan, effective March 31, 2003. The Company also stated that this filing seeks to replace the current plan with a defined contribution plan.
As previously reported, the US Airways MEC opposes the termination of the pilots’ pension plan and is taking appropriate legal steps to object to the termination.
The Company''s motion for termination is scheduled to be heard on February 20 and objections to the motion must be filed and served no later than February 13.
Item 2. The December 13, 2002, confidential agreement between ALPA and the Company concerning an alternate pilot retirement benefit in the event the pilot pension plan is terminated has been released by ALPA and posted on the pilots only website. A memo from MEC Chairman Bill Pollock accompanying the agreement explains the letter’s intent of insuring that the restoration-funding commitment of $122 million per year becomes a safety net if the pilots’ pension plan is terminated. The MEC required this agreement to prevent the Company from putting that money back in its pocket, and leaving the pilots’ with no alternate pension benefit if the pension plan were terminated. In was not an agreement on an alternate retirement plan as has been misrepresented by management. The agreement was required to remain confidential so as not to interfere with the legislative solution being sought for restoration funding. The Company did not honor this provision of the agreement.
Item 3. The MEC Chairman, MEC Secretary-Treasurer, Staffing Review Committee, and the Negotiating Committee met with management to discuss issues associated with Bid 03-01. ALPA believes that an excess of 200 pilots are being furloughed who were not or should not have been identified for furlough in permanent bid 03-01. MEC Chairman Bill Pollock told the Company representatives that the furloughs scheduled for February 4 should be cancelled and the parties should meet to ensure that all furloughs are in compliance with all agreements between the Association and the Company. Chairman Pollock also called US Airways CEO David Siegel to ensure that the concerns expressed at the meeting received attention at the highest level. Mr. Siegel will meet with senior company officials tomorrow, February 1, to discuss the Association’s concerns.
Item 4. Management today informed ALPA that the Company has granted 22 pilot leaves of absence in lieu of furlough. These pilots have been contacted by the Company.
Please remember we have 1,748 pilots on furlough, with 79 pilot furloughs scheduled for February 4.
Thank you for listening.

With all the perceived unfairness with the termination of the pilot pension plan, I offer this point of information to all the pilots. In 1991, 25000 employees had their pension plan closed and frozen. In 1992, the same employees had no pension what so ever, and in 1993 we were given the 401k. We were basically told that if we wanted a retirement anywhere close to what we would have had with the old pension we would need to put 13% of our salaries into the new 401k plan. So In 1993, the lower/lowest paid employees at US Airways basically took a 13% pay cut. The company took $103 million dollars out of our pension plan to keep the company alive during the Gulf War period and just prior to the BA buy in. As another point of fact, our plan did not have early retirement subsidies, and we all assume the investment risk with our plan.

I would also like to add a few other things that were taken away at that time from this labor group. Sick time was no longer accrued. This lobor group had to set aside atleast one week of vacation to be used for sick time. Also the most senior employees lost a week of vacation. Also pay was frozen for topped out employees. Now I did not hear one labor group on the property object to this group being treated this way. All other groups conitnued to accrue sick time,vacation and raises during this time. I know what is happening is not fair to ALPA and I feel for those getting ready to retire. But the company does not have the money and for the company to survive it appears the pension has to go. I hope we can now concentrate on making U the best in the business. One passengers love to fly.

Hey Pinger...the pilots don't really care what happened to you or me back then. They were screaming just a month ago for us to take anything the company was offering just so we could save jobs. Now that they are getting hit the same way we have already been...it's just not fair. Funny how when the shoe's on the other foot, things look different, isn't it?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 7:08:01 PM AIRMAIL wrote:

I would also like to add a few other things that were taken away at that time from this labor group. Sick time was no longer accrued. This lobor group had to set aside atleast one week of vacation to be used for sick time. Also the most senior employees lost a week of vacation. Also pay was frozen for topped out employees. Now I did not hear one labor group on the property object to this group being treated this way. All other groups conitnued to accrue sick time,vacation and raises during this time. I know what is happening is not fair to ALPA and I feel for those getting ready to retire. But the company does not have the money and for the company to survive it appears the pension has to go. I hope we can now concentrate on making U the best in the business. One passengers love to fly.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Airmail,

If you are referencing the agents and Res, they were non union at the time. Company hit the agent group harder than any other group of employees. I believe it was because they were not organzied. It took until 1999 for agents to vote in CWA.

This management is not concerned whether a group is union or not, they have taken every valuable benefit from every group, and its still not over.

Let us not forget the reason the company enhanced our benefits in the early 90 by taking our sick leave, vacation, and pension…..It was to finance an 11% pay increase for the ALPA group.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 7:15:36 PM PITbull wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
[/blockquote]

Airmail,

If you are referencing the agents and Res, they were non union at the time. Company hit the agent group harder than any other group of employees. I believe it was because they were not organzied. It took until 1999 for agents to vote in CWA.

This management is not concerned whether a group is union or not, they have taken every valuable benefit from every group, and its still not over.

----------------
[/blockquote]

It is over after the pension issue is resolved.

Real world:

How do you know it's over after the pension issue is resolved? You have an inside scoop?

Seigle said the same thing when the first concession was resolved.

3.gif']

>>the pilots don't really care what happened to you or me back then. They were screaming just a month ago for us to take anything the company was offering just so we could save jobs

>>Let us not forget the reason the company enhanced our benefits in the early 90 by taking our sick leave, vacation, and pension…..It was to finance an 11% pay increase for the ALPA group.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 9:39:30 PM real world wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/31/2003 7:15:36 PM PITbull wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
[/blockquote]

Airmail,

----------------
[/blockquote]

It is over after the pension issue is resolved.
----------------
[/blockquote]
------------------------------------------

How about after war with Iraq? What shape will force majuere take this time?