Alright - who didn't tighten those wheel bolts properly

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Oops. Has AA hired SuperScab? He's gonna be all over this one:

American Airlines 757 loses wheel at Sea-Tac, lands OK in Dallas

SEATTLE -- An American Airlines 757 lost a wheel leaving Sea-Tac Airport Wednesday morning and landed safely about two hours later at Dallas-Fort Worth.

Sea-Tac spokesman Bob Parker said the tower noticed a ring on a runway threshold at about 7:30 a.m. Crews determined it was part of a wheel. Later, airport officials heard that an American Airlines jet had lost a wheel.

A search found the rest of the wheel behind a sign, next to a runway, Parker said.

The airport notified the Federal Aviation Administration, which called the situation a maintenance issue for American, he said.

KRLD radio in Dallas reported that the flight landed with no problems, then a ramp person notified the crew that a wheel was missing.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP...lane_Wheel.html

"Alright - who didn't tighten those wheel bolts properly?"

FWA's question indicates that he thinks that the wheel is held on by a number of bolts. It also makes the suggestion that someone didn't tighten the "wheel bolts", whatever they are.

FYI, the wheel is held on the axle just like the front wheel of your Studebaker. One big nut, held in position (after torquing) by a lock bolt (instead of the Siudebaker's cotter pin).

Early reports indicate that the outer bearing disintegrated, allowing the wheel to slide off the axle, right over the still-secured retaining nut. The inner race was still on the axle. REALLY on. Parts of the bearing (rollers and retainer) were found on the runway at SEA.

I have photos showing the retaining nut to still be on the axle, including the lock bolt. Poor lighting and old eyes do not allow me to tell if the notorious spacer is still there, but I am told that it was in position, still on the axle.

So, above gratuitous cheap shots to the contrary, it appears that the wheel was indeed properly installed.