Phoenix, AZ 85008 Captain Jack Stephan, Chairman
US Airways Master Executive Council
Air Line Pilots Association, International
One Thorn Run Center, Suite 400
1187 Thorn Run Extension
Corapolis, PA 15108

RE: US Airways and America West Joint Negotiating Committee Meeting

Dear John and Jack:

With all the controversy since early May, it’s easy to lose sight of our simple objective: to negotiate a new contract that both pilot groups will approve. As the Executive Council determined last month, the new agreement will include the Nicolau award. But the Executive Council also said that the new agreement must include terms for career protection and that parity and parity plus are a top priority.

In other words, it’s all about putting together a negotiated single agreement that will reverse years of bankruptcy and ATSB concessions and get all US Airways pilots the pay, job security, benefits, work rules, and career protection they deserve. No one is trying to “buy†seniority. ALPA is trying to ensure that both career advancement and economic gains are protected and that families who have suffered under the current contracts can recover from bankruptcy and ATSB hell.

ALPA Merger Policy was discussed, debated, and enacted by pilots like us. When there are problems negotiating a merged collective bargaining agreement, Merger Policy provides for the President to call a meeting of the Joint Negotiating Committee. There plainly are such problems, and I am calling that meeting.

These problems will be solved by ALPA leaders from both pilot groups meeting and talking directly with each other. The two groups have and will continue to have the support of my office and any other ALPA resource necessary. You have used the outside counsel of three labor law and merger firms, the Wilson Center for Public Research, ALPA’s general counsel, and other ALPA negotiating, economic and financial, legal, retirement, and communication experts. Current and retired pilot leaders with vast experience at other airlines and with similar problems have also participated. These resources will continue to be available. With them, there is no reason that we can’t solve these problems if both pilot groups commit to doing so.

To this end, I am convening an expedited internal meeting of the Joint Negotiating Committee in Washington, DC, commencing on October 29, 2007, and concluding on November 6, 2007, or earlier if the work is done. However, I won’t call this a meeting of a blue ribbon panel, or the Rice Committee, or any other special name. It is simply the Joint Negotiating Committee meeting that is provided for in Merger Policy. I expect this committee to roll up its sleeves and get to work on both contract and career protection issues and to do so without asserting positions, demanding sequential treatment of issues, finger-pointing, or threats. No one is prejudiced when all the issues are discussed at the same time. Let’s quit fighting with each other and prepare to do battle with the real enemy across the bargaining table. Each MEC is free to send, and I expect each of you to add, other committee experts to assist with this critically important work. I will appoint facilitators and staff to assist, as necessary, and will use my authority to appoint a JNC chairman should the committee require one to complete its work by November 6.

I will also call the two MECs to meetings at a location to be determined on November 8–9. The purpose of these meetings will be to consider and act on recommendations from the Joint Negotiating Committee and review our preparation for JNC negotiations scheduled for the week of November 12. I expect that we will be prepared for and enter into good-faith bargaining with management that week. Our members deserve and expect that from us.

The Executive Council has directed that the Nicolau award be submitted and defended. While input from both MECs is welcome, the office of the President will comply with the Executive Council’s determinations and submit the award in a way that is consistent with the negotiating timeline outlined and in accordance with ALPA’s past practice. The President’s office will also determine the timing for assuming defense of outstanding litigation in light of the procedural issues now being addressed in the courts. I will not allow ALPA policy and individual rights to be prejudiced by delay in these matters.

After five hours with the AAA MEC last Friday, I detailed two courses of action. I most fervently support ALPA representatives from both pilot groups creating solutions that lead to one strong US Airways ALPA leadership and pilot group.

Finally, let me repeat something that I’ve said several times lately. This is one union. You and your MEC members are elected officers and elected representatives of that union. It’s time for all of us to stand up for our union—the one that built our profession. I fully expect those elected and appointed ALPA representatives and committee members to honor and fulfill their obligations to this union or to step aside.

It’s time to get the job done. You have the financial and fraternal backing of your fellow 55,000 ALPA brothers and sisters from each of our 39 other airlines. I am proud to speak on their behalf and promise you their continued support.

In solidarity,

Captain John H. Prater
President

.. I expect that we will be prepared for and enter into good-faith bargaining with management [November 12th]. Our members deserve and expect that from us...

... I fully expect those elected and appointed ALPA representatives and committee members to honor and fulfill their obligations to this union or to step aside...

..You have the fraternal backing of your fellow 55,000 ALPA brothers and sisters from each of our 39 other airlines, because when all ALPA pilots have a problem, then ALPA pilots have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.