AWA MEC Update May 25th

May 6, 2007
MEC Chairman's Update
May 25, 2007
Fellow AWA Pilots:
Last night, the AWA MEC received the decision from ALPA Executive Council regarding the AAA MEC’s presentation on May 21, 2007 to set aside the Nicolau Award. The decision of ALPA Executive Council was to simply delay deliberation until a special EC meeting scheduled for late June 2007. The cover letter from ALPA President Captain John Prater and the EC resolution are attached for your review. Additionally, I have sent Captain Prater a response and that letter is also attached.

I would ask that you please not read anything into this decision. We expect that the east will put out communications that will likely distort the true meaning of this resolution. After a lengthy conference call with our merger committee, and our merger counsel Jeff Freund, and EVP Russ Webber, all of your elected representatives and MEC officers have every confidence that ALPA Executive Council will follow ALPA Merger Policy and they will NOT overturn the Nicolau Award.

Unfortunately, the east JNC members informed us this morning that they will not be able to join us in negotiations next week. The AWA MEC, in consultation with the AWA MEC Negotiating Committee, is reviewing all of our strategic options to move ahead with both negotiations and implementation of this award.

I will have a more lengthy Chairman’s letter coming to you later this weekend detailing many of the issues that are rapidly changing, including what happened at the Executive Board with regards to the change in ALPA’s age 60 policy. In the meantime, please have a safe and secure Memorial Day weekend, and please follow the ALPA Code of Ethics when dealing with your fellow ALPA brothers and sisters.
I hope to see you on the picket line in LAS tomorrow as we continue our fight for a fair contract.

Fraternally,
Captain John McIlvenna
Chairman, AWA Master Executive Council

Latest posts